Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information RPG Codex Top 10 Strategy Games

Jason

chasing a bee
Forum dweller and amateur accountant Grunker polled the RPG Codex/TCancer crowd to determine the most loved (or least hated) strategy games of all time. Will Sid Meier destroy all challengers? Will a japtactical make its way to the top ten? Will Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor finally get its props? I don't know!

Read the whole article: http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=70

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
title-ivan_dolvich.jpg

krasha ! krasha !

Destroid

Arcane
Pretty shocked at HOMAM3's position at four, I mean the game is ok but nothing special.

Well, I did the math and the user who most closely represents the codex strategy hivemind is our very own perverted old man....

Ogri.gif

Yeesh! With 7/10 of his top 10 picks for best strategy game ever finding their way into the codex top 10 list. Several users had 6, and many had 5, but Yeesh was the only one with 7.

His list:

Jagged Alliance 2
Dominions 3
Master of Magic
X-Com
Master of Orion 2
Birthright
Civ 2
Civ 4
Alpha Centauri
Hearts of Iron 2

kris

Arcane
The long extended list really goes to show what variety we have and have had in the strategy section of gaming. I am sure many users could have made a top20 list instead of a top10. Unlike RPG games were you have to really think to come up with 10 great ones.

Yeesh

Magister
Reject_666_6 said:
:thumbsup:

Good job, Grunker!
:salute:

Destroid said:
Pretty shocked at HOMAM3's position at four, I mean the game is ok but nothing special.

Well, I did the math and the user who most closely represents the codex strategy hivemind is our very own perverted old man....

Ogri.gif

Yeesh! With 7/10 of his top 10 picks for best strategy game ever finding their way into the codex top 10 list. Several users had 6, and many had 5, but Yeesh was the only one with 7.

His list:

Jagged Alliance 2
Dominions 3
Master of Magic
X-Com
Master of Orion 2
Birthright
Civ 2
Civ 4
Alpha Centauri
Hearts of Iron 2
I am the voice of the people. Except the ones who don't like Birthright.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Reject_666_6 said:

Good job, Grunker!

Crooked Bee said:
Reject_666_6 said:

Good job, Grunker!

DwarvenFood said:
Thank you for the effort this was an interesting exercise.

Lyesmith said:
A fairly good list of titles to catch up.

Well done.

GarfunkeL said:
Also, thanks Grunker for polling us and compiling the results!

Yeesh said:

:bro: to all y'all!

The list certainly is monocle! All games on the TOP10 are some of my favorites, except Master of Magic, Master of Orion and Europa Universalis which I haven't played! Gonna get me some EU-lovin' soon though.

Four of my own TOP10 games made the list, so I suppose I should be satisfied. But I am damned surprised at Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines recieving so few votes. I fucking love that game, would have liked 10-11 votes at least! It barely made the list.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Very good list with lots of great titles.

I'd also like to raise my cup to my comrades, who voted for Majesty. It managed to get into the middle of the runner-up section. I thought I will be the only one, who voted for that.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I'm not a big fan of strategy games and certainly not an expert, so I didn't vote so as not to pollute the results with my non monocle tastes. But I'm very surprised by that list. I played all of those games and enjoyed most of them.

What does that mean? Do I belong to the elite of strategy game players? Or do the results of the vote show how mainstream Codexers are?

Destroid

Arcane
Grunker said:
The list certainly is monocle! All games on the TOP10 are some of my favorites, except Master of Magic, Master of Orion and Europa Universalis which I haven't played! Gonna get me some EU-lovin' soon though.

You have some marvellous games to catch up on, but play MoM and Moo before you play EU(3?) because you can finish a playthrough of those games in a few hours with practice, but EU3 will almost certainly take you a month or more of solid daily playing to complete a single 400 year run. Not to mention the many hours it will take you to fully grasp all the systems.

The various lets plays (especially those of furious flaming faggot) in the playground are a great place to start to give you a good grip on how they play. His LPs inspired many people to start playing the game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ogg said:
I'm not a big fan of strategy games and certainly not an expert, so I didn't vote so as not to pollute the results with my non monocle tastes. But I'm very surprised by that list. I played all of those games and enjoyed most of them.

What does that mean? Do I belong to the elite of strategy game players? Or do the results of the vote show how mainstream Codexers are?
You don't have to be an expert to vote. You played some great strategy games, you should have voted.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeesh just voted for the obvious mass market titles for the most part. Civ series are the COD of strategy.

Most of the good strategy games never made the list.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't take more time in deciding on my list. I'd forgotten a shedload of titles that would have made me more 'monocled' and also counted commercial crap.

My list was still better than most, not having any Meier crap on it, though Alpha Centauri came close, I guessed it would win anyway, so didn't put it down.

zeitgeist

Magister
The list ended up being pretty decent. Rather mainstream (in the historical sense), sure, but still decent. I personally expected Dungeon Keeper 1/2 to end up a bit higher though. Here's a screenshot comparison of the top 10 (link leads to the full size image):

spectre

Arcane
I am fairly butthurt that Dark Omen and Panzer General didn't make it to the top.
And genuinely butthurt over Starcraft in top10.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Destroid said:
Grunker said:

You have some marvellous games to catch up on, but play MoM and Moo before you play EU(3?) because you can finish a playthrough of those games in a few hours with practice, but EU3 will almost certainly take you a month or more of solid daily playing to complete a single 400 year run. Not to mention the many hours it will take you to fully grasp all the systems.

Thanks, will give that some thought. My reasoning was that EU seemed more my cup of tea (kind of tired of 4X games ATM). But maybe I'll be persuaded to start with the others.

Higher Game

Arcane
What's up with Civilization 2 being on the list!? It's a broken, flashy "next-gen" game of its day that has aged horribly, when you get past nostalgia. And EUIII instead of HOI2!?! :decline:

Besides those two woofers, the rest of the list is surprisingly rock solid. Not too much decline at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom