Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bloodlines go for broke

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

As if the earlier six (no matter if Spaz claim it's seven) weren't enough, here's another pair (<a href="http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2004/10/29-90" target=_blank>one</a>, <a href="http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3136048&did=1" target=_blank>two</a>) courtesy of <a href="http://www.gaming-age.com/cgi-bin/front/index.pl" target=_blank>Gaming Age</a> and <a href="http://www.1up.com/" target=_blank>1up</a>. Apparently everone and their grandma got the chance to try out Troika's Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines, so there's probably a few more coming (<i>sheesh</i>!). Here's a bit from the Gaming age preview:<blockquote>As detailed as the graphics, RPG elements, and game design is, it's topped off with a well written story full of plot twists and surprises. We actually got so far that we almost reached one that the developers of the game were afraid we might uncover. Fortunately time ran out before we could solve this one puzzle that was holding me from reaching that point. We did learn later on what that twist was and it was a good one and can only imagine what awaits further in the game.</blockquote>Give us the game already! I never thought I'd complain about too many previews of a game that interested me but I guess I'll have to rethink that one.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Eh.. Some thoughts froma troublemaker.

1. The first preview is the worst of the bunch. It's boring, tell us another new, and unlike the others pretty much gives no ral examples worth mentioning. In one word: boring (the preview; not the game).

2. According to 1up certain people have taken it upon themslves to already rate the game. That's lame. And, so far, it's bad news. Eitehr way, it's pathetic.

3. "the action feels just like any straight-up shooter."

Bad, bad, bad.

4. "Your "seducer" has been eliminated, but in pity or rather out of necessity, your life has been spared."

Sounds like the story is a good old fashion 'tale of destiny' one. Hopefully the journey isn't as old fashion...

5. The good news is that role-playing itself seems to be the game's strong point. I hope the story, and characters match that. And, I hope the combat doesn't bog it down too much or it'll be my second Gothic 2 this year - a game that has a cool story, and nice role-playing but the combat ruins it so much that I'm *this* close to quitting it.

That is all. :twisted:

Seven

Erudite
4. "Your "seducer" has been eliminated, but in pity or rather out of necessity, your life has been spared."

Sounds like the story is a good old fashion 'tale of destiny' one. Hopefully the journey isn't as old fashion...

Sounds more like a smoe who got the short end of the stick. "Tale of destiny", wow what astounding deductive reasoning.

Whipporowill

Erudite
You bring up some valid points Ted, but I'd say you're a bit overly cautious - which itself, isn't all that bad considering recent games hype machines.

1. The first preview is the worst of the bunch. It's boring, tell us another new, and unlike the others pretty much gives no ral examples worth mentioning. In one word: boring (the preview; not the game).

Yeah, some of the previews are rather bland, and some on the other hand spoil quite a lot. Luckily Troika has avoided showing anything about the main storyline it seems. I can understand why they'd want to showcase the hotel some of you might have read about... like... wow.

2. According to 1up certain people have taken it upon themslves to already rate the game. That's lame. And, so far, it's bad news. Eitehr way, it's pathetic.

You mean people referring to it as a possible masterpiece, GOTY-material and so on? I guess, but if that's their impression I can't say I think they shouldn't voice their opnion. And Activision certainly won't be complaining.

3. "the action feels just like any straight-up shooter."

Bad, bad, bad.

The combat is way more advanced than in a shooter - you're targetting reticule is based on your firearm skill. Your ability to soak damage is based on your constitution (or whatever Vamp uses, can't remember exakt term) and then there's plenty of disciplines to top that. The emphasis is on action though, so I can see why someone who didn't like Gothic's would have issues with this one - I on the other hand loved the G's and was only worried that the Bloodlines combat would be iffy, which I'm not worried about a t m.

At least you're not the chosen one! To me it seems more like you're this unfortunate schmuck that land in something big and smelly - and wil have to eat it all up if you want to stay alive or rather...undead.

5. The good news is that role-playing itself seems to be the game's strong point. I hope the story, and characters match that. And, I hope the combat doesn't bog it down too much or it'll be my second Gothic 2 this year - a game that has a cool story, and nice role-playing but the combat ruins it so much that I'm *this* close to quitting it.

Considering the combat is that bad, the game must be really good, huh?

That is all. :twisted:

Yeah, for now.... :D

almondblight

Arcane
Volourn said:

True, but that's the whole industry now. How many people do you think actually play through games before they review them? How many people aren't influenced by hype?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You bring up some valid points Ted"

Who is this idiot Ted fella? I am the idiot Volourn. Don't confuse the two, please.

"You mean people referring to it as a possible masterpiece, GOTY-material and so on? I guess, but if that's their impression I can't say I think they shouldn't voice their opnion. And Activision certainly won't be complaining."

I'm not referring to the previewers here. i expect almost all previews for any half made game to be positive. I'm talking about the morons who seemingly on 1up have actually rated the game. Check the link for what I mean... As Almond mentioned, this isn't really new as it happens to all games. It still annoys me.

"The combat is way more advanced than in a shooter"

Only going by the previews. if it's *anything* like Gothic 2's; I'm gonna hate the game as it's gonna intervere with my enjoyment of other parts of it...

"At least you're not the chosen one! To me it seems more like you're this unfortunate schmuck that land in something big and smelly - and wil have to eat it all up if you want to stay alive or rather...undead."

Really? When I read that someone or soemthing kills your "creator" but lets you live out of "pity" or even worst "neccessity" that worries me. What exactly is your character needed alive? Is he part of some legend? Is he reincarnation of some lame past vampire hero? or waht? What's so important about the PC that someone who can kill him doesn't because he 'can't'.. Hmm...

"Considering the combat is that bad, the game must be really good, huh?"

Not if the combat is *so* bad I wanna stop playing as it seems to be the case of Gothic 2...

"but I'd say you're a bit overly cautious - which itself, isn't all that bad considering recent games hype machines."

There are 3 reasons why I'm being cautious; none of them is hype. Hype is to be expected. Almost every game unless it complete dreck is hyped to a certain degree. No, my three problems are:

1. Combat in a FPS-RPG hyprid which is what theya re going for with BL. *shudder*

2. Troika called TOEE pre release as much as a RPG as their previous games (inclduing FO). That turned out to be false. Not to mention the bug issue..

3. V:TM is a low par vampire dreck which only works inc ertain situations in the right hands or its just some gothic teenie bopper wet dream.

There are some reasons, if youc are, why I'm even interested in it.

1. I'm a Troika fan. yes, inspite of my disliking of TOEE, I *do* like Troika.

2. The story has potential (mostly because Troika's done a good job keeping it a secret).

3. The role-playing sounds like it might be very, very good.

We shall see... in January...

Whipporowill

Erudite
To continue the "chosen one" discussion:

I've pretty much gotten the idea that the prince spares you because you're a simple tool, which he can pretty much demand to do his bidding or die. I guess nothing beats free labour, even if you're a fancy prince, right? If you're willing to be his tool is another matter, as you obviously can choose to oppose him - from what I've heard. There are anarchs in the game after all.

I sure hope none of the mentioned "twist" has anything to do with you, your past, or your sire for that matter.

almondblight

Arcane
Whipporowill said:
I sure hope none of the mentioned "twist" has anything to do with you, your past, or your sire for that matter.

They could do it in a cool way. The reason why we think that a twist having to do with our or our sire's past is because in most RPG's the creators are pretty lazy and they make you the messiah or something. If they did something like, your creator created a gang of others, and you have to infiltrate them, and then the prince decides if it'r worth keeping you around after he doesn't need you (have this done 1/3 or 1/4 through the game). Or if a friend from your past runs into trouble and you use you're new skills to bail them out. As long as they keep out of the "you're a special chosen one who will save the world" type shit, fleshing out the character with a few interesting bits from their past could be fun.

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, it's pretty straightforwards here: you shouldn't be allowed to go on (un-)living, but if the Prince doesn't execute you, you effectively belong to him since he could off you at any time if he wanted. How they work freedom of choice into the plot when you're the Prince's lapdog is beyond me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Well, it's pretty straightforwards here: you shouldn't be allowed to go on (un-)living, but if the Prince doesn't execute you, you effectively belong to him since he could off you at any time if he wanted. How they work freedom of choice into the plot when you're the Prince's lapdog is beyond me."

Yeah, until you gain in power and decide to kill the Prince and usrurp him. He'll be like all along I had you and coulda killed you; but I didn't. Why, oh, why amd I a Villain.*yawn*

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Whipporowill said:
To continue the "chosen one" discussion:

I've pretty much gotten the idea that the prince spares you because you're a simple tool, which he can pretty much demand to do his bidding or die.

I agree here. And it's not cliche for the genre, but cliche for the PnP game. Doesn't bother me, though.

I guess nothing beats free labour, even if you're a fancy prince, right?

How familliar are you with V:TM PnP? Most princes aren't fancy, but more 'evil conservantive businessman' or 'evil goth', in general. Being pressed into service by a prince is a standard plot hook for the game.

If you're willing to be his tool is another matter, as you obviously can choose to oppose him - from what I've heard. There are anarchs in the game after all.

I hope they treat pissing off a prince realistically. Archons can be a bitch. If I make a choice that pisses off the prince and he or she ignores it, I'll feel gypped.

Well, as long as it wasn't cheesy I wouldn't mind any of those things. I'd be happy where someone from your past you thought you diablerized or sent to torpor, sire or other, came back to kick your ass.

I've deliberately stayed away from following this game too much, as I have done with all games, after the massive burn that was Fable. I do hope it is as good as it's being hyped.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I guess nothing beats free labour, even if you're a fancy prince, right?

How familliar are you with V:TM PnP? Most princes aren't fancy, but more 'evil conservantive businessman' or 'evil goth', in general. Being pressed into service by a prince is a standard plot hook for the game.

I have to admit I was forced into a prince's service by my own storyteller, so that's probably quite common in the setting come to think of it. Also, I guess I tend to think of the princes as Ventrue due to my stints in the setting.

Well, as long as it wasn't cheesy I wouldn't mind any of those things. I'd be happy where someone from your past you thought you diablerized or sent to torpor, sire or other, came back to kick your ass.

I'd rather say away from things you're "supposed" to know, but haven't actually been through yourself. So no old friends popping up for old measure if I can decide. If it's someone from during the game, it's another matter entirely.

Hype is thy master. Fear him.

fnordcircle

Liturgist
Frowning at my monitor as I read your dumb post.
Whipporowill said:
I'd rather say away from things you're "supposed" to know, but haven't actually been through yourself. So no old friends popping up for old measure if I can decide.

Not even if you had 'been through them' in a prologue-cutscene form?

Having bitch-slapped your sire is a pretty good reason to endure the resulting crap you are bound to get when beating feet into a new Prince's domain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom