Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Gamespy up close and personal with Bloodlines

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

It seems like more of the gaming press got a good scare from trying the game out at Activision's recent "Fang Event". <a href="http://www.gamespy.com" target=_blank>Gamespy</a>'s take on it seems to be equally as good as Actiontrip's one - starting the <a href="http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/561535p1.html" target=_blank>preview</a> with that Bloodlines is "shaping up to be Troika's first out-and-out masterpiece", going on to talk about getting stuck in "The Zone" and ends with "looks like a classic in the making". Considering the preview contains quite a lot of spoilers (although not for the main story arc), here's a neutral, yet intersting snippet:<blockquote>The next hour or so that I played the game impressed a couple of things on me. The first is that any doubts I had about turning an FPS like Half-Life 2 into an RPG were washed away. The game is an RPG through-and-through. It's loaded with plots, subplots and optional side-quests galore - all tracked with a handy-dandy quest journal. I knew I had gotten lost in the game when I realized that I had stopped trying to see as much as I could in a short amount of time and was instead playing the game the way I play most RPGs - I was exploring every nook and cranny and taking every side quest I could get my hands on. I went through a very cool series of quests where I became a bounty hunter for a local bail bondsman. That little adventure culminated in my first boss encounter which netted me, among other things, another humanity point and a really cool melee weapon, a blood-splattered prosthetic human arm.</blockquote>Damn, I seem to be loosing my powers of scepticism and neutrality here!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I find it hilarious that while this site has a habit of bashing 'professional' reviews that there will be (at least in Whip's case) to believe 'the hype' from these same reviewers when it comes to good things said about Troika. Go figure.

As I've always said, reviews are a good read and a good way to get the basics of a game. But, don't fall for the hype, make up your mind.

I think Bloodlines is shaping up to pausibly be good; but not because of silly reviews.

Whipporowill

Erudite
It should be considered that after having read both Actiontip's and Gamespy's hands-on experience and having heard a few tidbits of insider rumours, I just couldn't help feel excited. These two are by far the best pieces of information I've heard on the game, and while I've been following the game with interest - this sort of reminds me I still am a fanboy by heart. Sorry... :lol:

A small edit: I thought you could tell that both people having played the game was really, really excited about it - very noticeable in both what they wrote, and how they wrote it. That is far more important than dropping a lot of cool in-game content, at least to me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"A small edit: I thought you could tell that both people having played the game was really, really excited about it - very noticeable in both what they wrote, and how they wrote it."

So were the NWN reviewers.... :?

"These two are by far the best pieces of information I've heard on the game, and while I've been following the game with interest"

I agree there's some good stuff there.

"this sort of reminds me I still am a fanboy by heart."

Admitting the problem is half the battle.

That's my point thoguh. Reviews are only considered good if they agree with you most of the time. That ain't healthy.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
I think Bloodlines is shaping up to pausibly be good; but not because of silly reviews.

Pausibly? Is that Canuck for possibly, or were you hoping for real-time with pause?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Pausible...hmm..... this game features pausible actionable combat....

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, whatever he said, it's not likely we'd understand it anyway - he's Volourn after all.

And yeah while the game features realtime combat, it's not pauseable unless you go hide in your inventory screen or something, at least what I heard.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
And Mr. V refuses to respond! He is either in awe of my superior intellect or embarassed by his Canadian spelling skills.

What's up with that?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Volourn needs to know the difference between a preview and a review."

A. Why do I need to know this? It's like I'm gonna die if I don't.

B. I know the difference, it's a typical mistype of me.

"What's up with that?"

A. My post count notwithstanding, I'm not always here.

B. I'm having too much fun seeing people waste time disucssing me instead of actually discussing the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom