Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Poking fun at Interplay

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Herve Caen; Interplay

<b>Briosafreak</b> sends word that <b>Corith</b>, a former <a href="Http://www.interplay.com">Interplay</a> employee, discussed a bit about the investors in the company in this <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9718">related thread</a> talking about the investors on <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</a>. Here's what he had to say:
<br>
<blockquote>Interplay still owns a handful of intellectual properties that Herve might still think he could produce games for. I suspect that he is using the money from the Bethesda license deal to pay off bad debt on the hopes he can get some delusional investor who doesn't know his past and fund another spin-off of the Dark Alliance engine for FO:BOS II, or Dark Alliance III. How many times will be allowed to run a company into bankruptcy before he is stopped?
<br>
<br>
In regards to a MMORPG, Herve has no clue as to the incredibility deep pockets necessary for the creation of MMORPG. Since he never ever played the games Interplay made, or any other games for that matter, he really doesn't have a decent point of reference other than his own arrogance. The logistics of creating a MMORPG are mind-boggling in scope. A decent recurring billing system, not to mention the security protocols to prevent cheaters, are vast.
<br>
<br>
Since he has utterly alienated so many former employees, and possible employees (a bad rep is very hard to shake), he will not be able to hire enough help to create the complex code needed for a MMORPG, design the world, and play test balance issues regardless of how much money he gets. The only path to FO:OL is to outsource the whole thing (as an unemployed I.T. worker, I'll refrain from commenting on outsourcing at this time).</blockquote>
<br>
Well, yeah, that's nothing new. We've all been saying that since it was announced, but the fact <b>Herve Caen</b> still has a plan and some people still believe in the man is pretty damned funny. The company is a corpse lying on a heating pad, and the investors think it's still alive because it feels a little warmish.
<br>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Actually, the funniest thing about all this is the fact that Herve's never played a video game in his life. What a doof.

And did that guy really say "incredibility deep pockets" or was that a typo on the interviewer's part? :lol:

Briosafreak

Augur
Saint the new thing was this:
Corith said:
After over 5 months of being kept in a odd kind of limbo, Herve and his handfull of hand-picked drones have finally managed to send out notices of temrination to the former members of this once proud game publisher.

Sadly, he is now refusing to pay acrued vacation money. I guess it means more lawsuits. The court date for the post mortum stealth change from salary to wage hasn't even been set yet, and here is more litiigation for him.

You'd think he learn, huh?

Everyone finally saw the contracts terminated. The funny thing is that since Herve tried to fool them in the process, he`s going to get another wave of lawsuits. Yet again.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think the better part is the part where Herve Caen is still trying for the MMORPG. I agree with Corith on the subject that Herve Caen is going to have a hard time finding developers to contract to do it given his dealings with third party devs in the past. If he fucks over the million dollar a game developers, I doubt he'd play it cool with the developers of an MMORPG, which can cost twenty million plus dollars to develop. If he'd fuck you over for a couple hundred thousand, he'll do it for several million which he doesn't even have. His track record alone will keep any good developer with any sort of experience away, so he'll have to get some newbie developers that don't have a clue about how Interplay's handled developers to do it. That's assuming there are any aspiring developers who don't already know what Interplay's done in the past as well.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
That's assuming there are any aspiring developers who don't already know what Interplay's done in the past as well.

And that's a pretty big assumption. Unless some developer out there has been living under a rock for the past couple of years. :P

Greenskin13

Erudite
Have you seen the reefer man!?

Major_Blackhart said:
I wonder, should we start another IPLY death betting pool?

Role-Player, Nicolai, Pooperscooper, Exitium, and I are all still in the original death betting pool. The rest of you underestimated Herve's "clinging on the edge of liquidation" ability.

Seven

Erudite
Re: Have you seen the reefer man!?

Greenskin13 said:
Major_Blackhart said:
I wonder, should we start another IPLY death betting pool?

Role-Player, Nicolai, Pooperscooper, Exitium, and I are all still in the original death betting pool. The rest of you underestimated Herve's "clinging on the edge of liquidation" ability.

Hey I'm still in the original, I think I said some time in Nov.

DemonKing

Arcane
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Actually, the funniest thing about all this is the fact that Herve's never played a video game in his life. What a doof.

Reminds me when that woman (Linda Something?) was running TSR in the 80s despite the fact she had never played D&D and actually hated and despised all the nerds who were her core market.

If there's one thing to be learnt from history, if you want to run a successful gaming company you better be damn sure you understand your market.

I guess nobody ever translated "by gamers, for gamers" into French for Herve.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I think Herve is trying to kick his nasty crack habit. He is trying to fuck the dead horse.

French people are sick fuckers.

Avin

Liturgist
he's trying to SMOKE the dead horse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom