Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 91: Brian Fargo Part III

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Fargo; Interplay; Matt Barton

<p>Learn about the decline and demise of the company in this <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apg08u6n2YM&feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">third and final part</a> of the interview with Interplay founder Brian Fargo.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p style="text-align: center;">
<object width="640" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/apg08u6n2YM?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/apg08u6n2YM?version=3" />
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
</object>
</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101325-brian-fargo-video-interview-part-three.html">GB</a></p>

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
My image of Brian Fargo as a well-meaning developer who inadvertently handed his company over to a man who would destroy his vision has just been deflated.

MapMan

Arcane
He seems like a really cool guy. I wonder if haunted will be a flop?

mondblut

Arcane
Having embedded youtube vids on the main page - THAT is decline. We're too prestigious for this shit.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The big mistake was that they didnt enter the console market with the stick with what you know mindset. They had BG running on the PS 1. Even if they had a sided deal with Bioware they should have ported it to the PS 2/Xbox just to develop a following and if TSR wasnt savy enough to understand that then maybe the sells would have taught them.

I'm with him on IWD

IWD 1 had a real purity to it. It didnt have as many highs as BG, FO and PST but it was steadier with fewer lows.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've just watched all 3 episodes of the interview and damn they were so interesting. Even if someone doesn't agree with him on some matters, it is always good to hear the thoughts of these people. They are not like the designers nowadays, who are just bullshitting and hyping their games.

I don't know if the interviews of Mr. Chris Avellone were posted on the Codex. If not, then right this was gentleman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCuxo5YDkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWEl0IQm670

Saxon1974

Prophet
I like Mr Fargo, sounds like a reasonable guy to me.

He seems like a good producer for attempting to merge old school with the new. It makes me sad but I think he is right that is really gonna be hard to succeed with a pure old school RPG with the market the way it is now.

Not really that interested in Hunted, but I hope it sells well and his company can make a real RPG.

I found Icewind dale to have great atmosphere but it was a little too hack and slashy for me.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Not really that interested in Hunted, but I hope it sells well and his company can make a real RPG.

That will never happen. Even if it is successful. Unless they can afford to self produce another game on the side, while maintaining making other pop-a-mole games that continue to sell on consoles.

Arcanoix

Scholar
Autographed copy of WoW: Cataclysm Collectors Edition in Fargo's room? .... An RPG developer with the most hated MMO in his room?

:decline:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Arcanoix said:
Autographed copy of WoW: Cataclysm Collectors Edition in Fargo's room? .... An RPG developer with the most hated MMO in his room?

I played WoW for probably 11 months total. It was fun as hell most of the time. It's not traditional, but it's still a good game to a lot of people. Honestly, it isn't really an RPG. That's why those types of games have their own distinct category.

Playing an MMO can make you feel a lot less lonely than if you spend all your free time playing single player. That was the major appeal to me, really. How many great CRPGs have come out since WoW was released, anyway? Fallout:NV? NWN2:MotB? Can't really play those for 8 months straight.

It doesn't nearly rank in top 5 games ever for me, though.

zeitgeist

Magister
One of the biggest reasons for the state of the industry being as it is, is mentioned at 02:45.

Fargo said:
...they bought all these companies, they've got a lot of mouths to feed, and they've got to keep them busy.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Saxon1974 said:

That will never happen. Even if it is successful. Unless they can afford to self produce another game on the side, while maintaining making other pop-a-mole games that continue to sell on consoles.

You could be right, but then I guess that means no true RPG's will ever get made again except tiny indy ones. I guess that means the genre we love as we know it will be dead soon.

how long can re-playing old RPG's last? Well, for me a while since I got a bunch and not much time to play.

Radisshu

Prophet
Arcanoix said:

Arcanoix said:
WoW: Cataclysm Collectors Edition.... the most hated MMO

:retarded:

I've never played WoW, but it clearly isn't "the most hated" MMO.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I have zero faith Hunted will even be halfway decent after the huge disaster that was his Bard's Tale 'reimagining.' Nice enough guy, made some great stuff in his day... but in the end they all devolve to purveyors of console/iphone schlock. Fargo, Gilbert, Molyneux, Spector... guess they gotta eat.

Quilty

Magister
Good interviews, very insightful. The guy who does the videos would make a good codexer, too. Seems weird enough.

Metro said:
I have zero faith Hunted will even be halfway decent after the huge disaster that was his Bard's Tale 'reimagining.' Nice enough guy, made some great stuff in his day... but in the end they all devolve to purveyors of console/iphone schlock. Fargo, Gilbert, Molyneux, Spector... guess they gotta eat.

I'm wondering whether it's the same problems that musicians run into. I.e. they produce a few brilliant and groundbreaking products when young, but then they realise that if this is going to keep bread on the table for the next 50 years, and provide for kids' uni fees and so on, they need to shift to safer fare (can't rely on pulling a brilliant idea out every 12 months forever).

I'm guessing for the old developers as well, from THEIR end it actually might be more interesting and challenging to go into mobile phone games etc. It means tackling new platforms and new styles of gaming, even though from the gamers' perspective it's mundane shite.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I like Matt Chat, he asks the questions, doesn't push them too far but he asks them.

Fargo and Cain answered in the best way they could, honestly. Maybe they tip-toed around the questions a little bit but they responded as they saw it. That's all you can ask.

We're all living in a different world and all have to eat. Times change. Bravo to Matt for doing this, it's very interesting and insightful, even if it does dash our hopes and show reality crashing at our feet.

reaven

Educated
CreamyBlood said:
I like Matt Chat, he asks the questions, doesn't push them too far but he asks them.

Fargo and Cain answered in the best way they could, honestly. Maybe they tip-toed around the questions a little bit but they responded as they saw it. That's all you can ask.

We're all living in a different world and all have to eat. Times change. Bravo to Matt for doing this, it's very interesting and insightful, even if it does dash our hopes and show reality crashing at our feet.

In my opinion he is the current best internet video review guy.
Not that hard tho, most of the others are consoletards...

curry

Arcane

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Saxon1974 said:
Jaesun said:
Saxon1974 said:

You could be right, but then I guess that means no true RPG's will ever get made again except tiny indy ones. I guess that means the genre we love as we know it will be dead soon.

how long can re-playing old RPG's last? Well, for me a while since I got a bunch and not much time to play.

RPG games died a long time ago. Didn't you get the memo? ;)

Ermm

Erudite
Kaanyrvhok said:
The big mistake was that they didnt enter the console market with the stick with what you know mindset. They had BG running on the PS 1. Even if they had a sided deal with Bioware they should have ported it to the PS 2/Xbox just to develop a following and if TSR wasnt savy enough to understand that then maybe the sells would have taught them.

I'm with him on IWD

IWD 1 had a real purity to it. It didnt have as many highs as BG, FO and PST but it was steadier with fewer lows.

Baldurs Gate for PS1 was recently leaked on interwebz.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
curry said:
Mastermind said:
J_C said:
I don't know if the interviews of Mr. Chris Avellone were posted on the Codex. If not, then right this was gentleman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCuxo5YDkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWEl0IQm670

"I think I was the stupidest guy in the computer lab."

No kidding. :smug:

He probably was. Someone should stab Avellone in face for raping the entire Fallout franchise.

And no, I don't give a fuck if he made PS:T. :smug:
You should work a little more on this trolling. It's just 4/10.

tehRPness

Educated
MapMan said:
He seems like a really cool guy. I wonder if haunted will be a flop?
If it doesn't it's surely certainly his fault, and I'll be the first on the spot duelwielding pitchfork and torch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom