Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Art of Skyrim

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Matt Carofano, the Art Director on Skyrim, explains to Gameinformer how they're trying to breath some life into <strong>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</strong>. <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/26/the-art-of-skyrim.aspx" target="_blank">They're doing this as a video interview</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>You may have had a glimpse of the workspace during the Bethesda studio tour, but we now bring you an in-depth look at the art department behind Elder Scrolls V. Matt Carofano, the Art Director on Skyrim, explains how the look and feel of Bethesda's new game varies from past entries in the series. Check out the video below to learn the process of how this talented team brings the land of Skyrim to life.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16613">RPGWatch</a></p>

SteveL

Novice
"Epic Reality. Dramatic views wherever you go." So everything looks the same (dramatic!) as everything else (dramatic!).

SteveL

Novice
"Epic Reality. Dramatic views wherever you go."

I thought for sure if I made fun of that line I'd fit in around here. Just so sure I'd fit in real good. Instant credibility and respect, I thought.

Next time, try mentioning how some obscure Amiga rpg no one played is on your "to play" list, but only after your 3rd replay of Oblivion (this time with nude mods), since you want to be sure it sucks. You'll be so mingled with the locals that if people don't look at your join date, they won't even notice you're new.

Angthoron

Arcane
SteveL said:
When everything is dramatic, nothing is dramatic.

Pretty much this. One of the biggest mistakes of designers these days I think, memorable things are memorable because they stand out rather than be dramatic. Besides, the point is sort of moot, because, as Jaime's google search helpfully explains, you can make a dramatic shot of a goddamned guitar.

...If there were dramatic shots of guitars everywhere you go in Skyrim, though, that would have some potential.

Seems like you're implying the game should be purposefully stuffed with boringbanal shit so the memorable things would be more memorable.

This is not a "Pretty girl goes out with her ugly friend so she'll look even prettier by contrast" balance thing, you want the whole game to have memorable locations. Dunno about you, but I'd like to have lots of cool places, instead of a bunch of shitty places to make the few cool places look cooler.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I think the balance that is needed is to have mostly interesting and well-designed locations that are great to explore and have a lot of quests/interactivity, and then a few places that are visually impressive, like huge mountainsides, awesomely designed underground structures (the way to the dwarven city in Nehrim was one of those; fucking amazing), stuff that just *looks* magical when you approach it. Stuff that is extraordinary.

If you have 90% of the world be normal medieval style fantasy with some low magic, the few really creative and interesting locations will be even more impressive, because they're different and provide a nice contrast to the rest of the world.

But of course, we know that Bethesda cannot into world design and instead will just include anything that is COOL.

Data4

Arcane
So the game's set 200 years in the future from Oblivion, eh? There's a Dunmer city in Skyrim. Since the cities in Morrowind were built in architectural styles attributed to each House, I wonder what this city will look like.

Wait... this is Bethesda. It'll probably be a riff on Menzoberranzan rather than a nod to their own established designs.

Callaxes

Arbiter
I'm encouraged by the amount of art work involved in this project. It's a good thing.

Morrowind also had a lot of work invested in the concept. Unlike Oblivion which I don't recall having either a lot of artwork or enthusiasm (a part from the qoute "Fantasy for us is..." I don't remember them bragging about the game world as much as they do with Skyrim).

Of course, not even Morrowind lived up to the expectations of its concept art, which will probably be the case here as well. But I can only see their enthusiasm for their little "viking" fantasy setting as a good thing. A part from bad dialog and the lore raping, the setting might be done with interest and care.

Jokerman89

Novice
SteveL said:
"Epic Reality. Dramatic views wherever you go."

I thought for sure if I made fun of that line I'd fit in around here. Just so sure I'd fit in real good. Instant credibility and respect, I thought.

Yea you try and brush it off with sarcasm, old trick. Licking ass and trying to be like everyone else wont help you.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
JarlFrank said:
But of course, we know that Bethesda cannot into world design and instead will just include anything that is COOL.

Morrowind world design was great.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Mastermind said:
JarlFrank said:

Morrowind world design was great.

And the people responsible for it left the company, the Bethesda we have now entirely consists of the geniuses responsible for Oblivion's level scaling and Fallout 3's writing.

So your point is?

Saxon1974

Prophet
Callaxes said:
I'm encouraged by the amount of art work involved in this project. It's a good thing.

Morrowind also had a lot of work invested in the concept. Unlike Oblivion which I don't recall having either a lot of artwork or enthusiasm (a part from the qoute "Fantasy for us is..." I don't remember them bragging about the game world as much as they do with Skyrim).

Of course, not even Morrowind lived up to the expectations of its concept art, which will probably be the case here as well. But I can only see their enthusiasm for their little "viking" fantasy setting as a good thing. A part from bad dialog and the lore raping, the setting might be done with interest and care.

True it appears this way. From what I have seen so far I like the look of the art for this game. Much for at this point than any Bethesda game for quite a while.

Archibald

Arcane
Mastermind said:
JarlFrank said:
And the people responsible for it left the company,

Bullshit. The few that left left after working on Oblivion.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Development_Team

Bethesda's always been hit and miss when it comes to world design. Past competence does not guarantee current competence (I submit Chris Fagellone as evidence).

They stopped hitting since Morrowind.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Archibald said:
Mastermind said:
JarlFrank said:
And the people responsible for it left the company,

Bullshit. The few that left left after working on Oblivion.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Development_Team

Bethesda's always been hit and miss when it comes to world design. Past competence does not guarantee current competence (I submit Chris Fagellone as evidence).

They stopped hitting since Morrowind.

Shivering isles was good. So was Point Lookout.

Waiter, there's some new shit in my bethesda soup.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom