Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Dragon Shouts Explained

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

<p>Gameinformer <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/01/20/skyrim-s-dragon-shouts.aspx" target="_blank">continues to inform us</a> about the intricacies of <strong>The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim</strong>. Today the new dragon shout feature's the subject.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Tiber Septim would use the dragon shouts to lead his troops into battle and unite Tamriel under one empire. Hundreds of years later, the Septim line has died out, and no other dragonborn have been seen for many years. That is, until the hero of Skyrim arrives on the scene. &ldquo;There are other people in the world who can use the dragon shouts, but it&rsquo;s very rare. It&rsquo;s like arcane knowledge. It used to be done more in the past,&rdquo; Howard explains. &ldquo;The Greybeards know it. But your ability to absorb the dragon souls and do the shouts on the level that you can is beyond them.&rdquo;<br /><br />In the game, players will guide their hero to learn ever more powerful dragon shouts, and then use these arcane powers to supplement other combat and magic skills. Upon defeating a dragon, Skyrim&rsquo;s hero absorbs the soul of the fallen creature, which fuels his ability to learn a new shout. Later, players can search out long lost walls covered in dragon script. Upon these walls, individual runes stand out to the hero because he or she is dragonborn. &ldquo;There are these words of power, and if you learn how to say them right, they have a powerful effect,&rdquo; Howard says.<br /><br />Over time, players will build a vast arsenal of shouts: over 20 complete shouts in all, each with multiple words that must be gathered from different places around the world. &ldquo;There are three words for each shout, and there are three levels to them. The amount of time you hold down the shout button is how many words come out,&rdquo; Howard continues. &ldquo;It becomes a bit of a collection mechanic &ndash; to collect all the words.&rdquo;</p>
</blockquote>
<p>OK, I assumed the dragon shouts would be used by dragons but apparently I was wrong. <em>The way of the Voice.</em> Dual-wielding katanas, casting two spells and using a dragon shout, this shit is intense.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101183-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-dragon-shouts-explained.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
I wonder if this dragon shout gets used in game:

bluedragon.jpg
:"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I wonder if the battles against the dragons will be challenging enough.

Hegel

Arcane
1451 said:
I wonder if the battles against the dragons will be challenging enough.
We shall never forget the mighty walls of Kvatch.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I imagined dragon what shouts "gigantic flaming faggots!!!" and chuckled.

Dragon shouts: like magic, only awesomer? How are they special in a setting where magic is so common and gameplay where you can already cast spells?

Why are they so proud of their crappy stick-figure english-switched language? When Bio had to make a fake language for kotor or jade empire it actually hired linguists.

-“It’s in the lore!” declares game director Todd Howard. “It was like the classic barbarian battle cry. I’m not sure if it showed up in a book in Daggerfall, but it’s definitely mentioned in this pocket guide to the empire that we did for Redguard."-

:lol:

CrunchyHemorrhoids said:
Why are they so proud of their crappy stick-figure english-switched language? When Bio had to make a fake language for kotor or jade empire it actually hired linguists.

No, they had their voice actors record 5 lines of gibberish and copied those lines for every single time a person was speaking in another language.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You know what would be funny?

If they used the actual microphone in the pc as a interface for the "dragon shouts".
I envision thousands of retards shouting in their rooms.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
I'm still imagining the dragon shouts in BLOBERT-speak. And will continue to do so.

MUCH LOVE TO MY BROS - health and strength boost to all allies/friendlies
GO FUCK A DOG - damage enemy's willpower

And the final boss will be slain by the dread cry of POP-YE-MOLE

DraQ

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
I'm still imagining the dragon shouts in BLOBERT-speak. And will continue to do so.

MUCH LOVE TO MY BROS - health and strength boost to all allies/friendlies
GO FUCK A DOG - damage enemy's willpower

And the final boss will be slain by the dread cry of POP-YE-MOLE
You did read some of the scrolls in Morrowind, right?*
:lol:

*)
WOE UPON OU if you didn't.

torpid

Liturgist
The game's even got a shout button. Jesus this is terrible. "The amount of time you hold down the shout button is how many words come out" -- for some reason I'm picturing it as your character yodeling across the mountains.

And of course they have to turn it into an item-collecting gimmick. Not only that, but apparently you'll face not one but multiple dragons -- way to cheapen things even more.

This is a really, really close race. Whenever Bioware seems to take a strong lead with DA2's retarded updates, Bethesda's got something equally appalling to get back into contention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom