Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword Announced

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Mount & Blade; TaleWorlds

<p><a href="http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/01/20/mount-and-blade-expansion-has-muskets/" target="_blank">According to PCGamer</a> Paradox Interactive announced another expansion for <strong>Mount &amp; Blade</strong>, <strong>With Fire and Sword</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>In possibly the most exciting news of the conference so far, Paradox Interactive have announced that their new expansion for Mount and Blade &ndash; &lsquo;With Fire and Sword&rsquo; &ndash; will be set in 1653 and feature muskets, plus an actual storyline to follow in singleplayer.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>As a mercenary leader, you&rsquo;ll either be able to make alliances or go lone-wolf. Enhanced siege mechanics bring a new level of gameplay, with the ability to bribe a guard to open the door, use gunpowder, or even poison the food supply during sieges.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="text-align: center;">
<object width="640" height="360" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGINp5NNQoQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
<param name="src" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGINp5NNQoQ?version=3" />
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
</object>
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101182-mount-a-blade-with-fire-and-sword-announced.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
plus an actual storyline to follow in singleplayer.
Right so it's taken them how long to actually get around to the game part?

Video looks pretty "meh". "We finally decided to design some actual cities this time". Whoop-dee-doo, so where are the firearms in action?

ortucis

Prophet
DarkUnderlord said:
plus an actual storyline to follow in singleplayer.
Right so it's taken them how long to actually get around to the game part?

Video looks pretty "meh". "We finally decided to design some actual cities this time". Whoop-dee-doo, so where are the firearms in action?

Just keep reloading the video, they'll turn up soon. You know, dark ages, slow buffering..

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
:lol: this video goes down as one of the worst ever made. 3D animation still todo, but we have towns! In the release there should be people on the walls, and they should fight, currently this is up to your imagination.

If this is really just a mod (and I think it is) I just facepalmed. Because they really make it sound like they finally did something about the deficiencies of the game. I.e. better UI, real gameplay, storyline etc. But a mod?

It's pissing me off. For many years they sit on the best medieval combat engine on the planet. Combat in this game is so much fun that people keep playing it is although the rest is shit. With this combat engne, even Oblivion would be a lot of fun. Add some real gameplay and this game could be the Operation Flashpoint of medieval RPGs. But no, they sit on their butts doing nothing but fucking multiplayer and graphics updates.

And now this shit. A fucking mod for a lot of money.

Phelot

Arcane
:? I don't like the setting... I mean, I do, but just not with M&B.

And the graphics still look stupid. They should have hired that guy that did Polished Landscapes.

Yeesh

Magister
Spectacle said:
Hasn't this been out in potatoland for more than a year?
I thought this place was positively crawling with Poles. Word on the street is that not only was this released a year ago in Poland, but that it sucks. Yet how do I know what to believe without input from our resident : x s?

Kron

Arcane
With such a pure win combat system, they should have added a turn based world map with upgrades and researchable technologies, and just better tactics all around. Could have been a game to play for years.

Not the case however.

And these guys should really open some history and architecture books. I don't think this is how the world looked like in the year 1653.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
But isn't M&B just basically an engine, with the almost non-existant storyline/gameplay elements being just a demo of sorts for that engine?

Then it's up to users/modders to make a game out of it? That's how I always looked at it.

I bought both M*B and Warband - but all I've ever done with them is fuck around with the combat engine. My eventual intention was to check out some of the bigger, well regarded mods - just havn't got around to it yet.

Kron

Arcane
As far as I know, there isn't any mod that adds anything drastic to the gameplay - no significant world map skills revamp, or anything like that really.
I've tried some shitty mods that adds ridiculous weapons, even more ridiculous armor, unnecesary factions, crap settings like star wars and just plain anachronistic shit.

torpid

Liturgist
lol that looks terrible. I just ignore mods and play the base game with some graphical improvements to indulge in the combat, otherwise it's an exercise in disappointment when you consider what could have been.

kasmas

Educated
Mount&blade is only a combat simulator with rpg elements because this was the idea of the couple that made it .

Armagan Yavuz: Initially we wanted to make a game where sword fighting felt like you were actually involved by using your reflexes; parrying, feigning, etc. Then, while we were working on that bit, we wanted to add more aspects of medieval combat such as horseback fighting, and interesting and realistic archery. At another level, we wanted to make the general gameplay like a sandbox game because we do love those kinds of games. Sid Meier’s Pirates!, in particular, inspired the feel we were trying to create in Mount & Blade. Pirates! had a unique randomness about it that would make the player feel like he was having a completely new experience each time he played the game, and we strived to give Mount & Blade that same sense of freedom and replayability.

For those not following the project you should know that there is plenty of stuff added with each patch , stuff that other studios would charge as DLC .
I am not sure i 'd like storyline as i don't like all new interaction between kingdoms and lords and i am also concerned about graphics improvement because the better they get the smaller battle size becomes.
This game always was about getting your Mongols and go kill some knightly scum not politics , kingdom management and economics.

Kron

Arcane
Ok, we get it that the combat is the main feature of the game... but just like in x-com, the TB combat is the main feature, but that doesn't stop the world map part from being slightly fun at least - all those researches and background lore - same should go for M&B.
Again, even if the combat - fun as hell combat - is the main appeal, the rest of the game should not be painful to play.
Yes, the world map in M&B is a pain in the asshole to play.

ancienttyrael

Novice
i can't believe i had to join just to kick some sense into you people. For very little information, you guys pretty much assume this game sucks so much balls. First off the game is very popular in Europe that they are releasing a multiplayer version over there. The buildings are set in its correct timeline, the Singleplayer follows the book very well (yea, its from a book, imagine that!), gameplay is better and more flowed than Warband. Yes this was originally a mod but i guess Paradox thought it was money. Fucking look for info next time!

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i can't believe i had to join just to kick some sense into you people. For very little information, you guys pretty much assume this game sucks so much balls.

It's better than to assume from it (or from the thin air) that game rocks just because.

M&B is a pretty cool game though but I don't know about this With Fire and Sword.

Codexlurker

Savant
Burning Bridges said:
:lol: this video goes down as one of the worst ever made. 3D animation still todo, but we have towns! In the release there should be people on the walls, and they should fight, currently this is up to your imagination.

If this is really just a mod (and I think it is) I just facepalmed. Because they really make it sound like they finally did something about the deficiencies of the game. I.e. better UI, real gameplay, storyline etc. But a mod?

It's pissing me off. For many years they sit on the best medieval combat engine on the planet. Combat in this game is so much fun that people keep playing it is although the rest is shit. With this combat engne, even Oblivion would be a lot of fun. Add some real gameplay and this game could be the Operation Flashpoint of medieval RPGs. But no, they sit on their butts doing nothing but fucking multiplayer and graphics updates.

And now this shit. A fucking mod for a lot of money.

Nope, that's the expansion. The mod is here. Here's a quote of the history.
Yes, there are - historical settings and the title. :P We have been using "With Fire and Sword" title since 2006. Guys form CD-Projekt (distributor of the game so far) knew that exactly. Even better - somewhere in 2009, few months before the first version of the game was annouced in Poland they contacted team members of WFaS mod and asked them about various things. They were especially interested when the mod will be ready. We thought that they're planning to release a special edition of Mount&Blade with additional CD containing biggest mods. Well, we were wrong. ;) Few months later CD-Projekt annouced a game called "M&B: Ogniem i Mieczem" which means exactly "With Fire and Sword". The first version was just pure shit, buggy as hell and totally unplayable, but thanks to the catchy title and Winged Hussars theme they sold many copies in Poland. Two months ago they released second version with subtitle "Dzikie Pola" (Wild Fields) - less buggy, with some new graphics and using Warband engine. This is the game that soon will be sold worldwide.

Funny thing is that they cannot force us to change the mod name, no matter how hard they want us to. There's no way that they can trademark the "With Fire and Sword" title

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... 20.45.html

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Elwro said:
How could anyone think they can trademark a title of and old book is beyond me.

:lol: golden. The name belongs to us because we are a company and you are not. We can also ignore that some old Pole wrote it, because that was before the age of capitalism, and he is probably dead anyway.

Codexlurker said:
Nope, that's the expansion. The mod is here. Here's a quote of the history.
Yes, there are - historical settings and the title. :P We have been using "With Fire and Sword" title since 2006. Guys form CD-Projekt (distributor of the game so far) knew that exactly. Even better - somewhere in 2009, few months before the first version of the game was annouced in Poland they contacted team members of WFaS mod and asked them about various things. They were especially interested when the mod will be ready. We thought that they're planning to release a special edition of Mount&Blade with additional CD containing biggest mods. Well, we were wrong. ;) Few months later CD-Projekt annouced a game called "M&B: Ogniem i Mieczem" which means exactly "With Fire and Sword". The first version was just pure shit, buggy as hell and totally unplayable, but thanks to the catchy title and Winged Hussars theme they sold many copies in Poland. Two months ago they released second version with subtitle "Dzikie Pola" (Wild Fields) - less buggy, with some new graphics and using Warband engine. This is the game that soon will be sold worldwide.

Funny thing is that they cannot force us to change the mod name, no matter how hard they want us to. There's no way that they can trademark the "With Fire and Sword" title

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/ ... 20.45.html

I still don't get it.

For something to count as expansion, I expect it to have new and improved executables.

Adding only new content into a data driven engine (Warband engine) is a mod. Even if a company pays for the development.

So if someone could show a screenshot with really new UI elements this question would be settled.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom