Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Boyarsky's vampiric crusade reaches Planet Bloodlines

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

When Leonard isn't busy releasing tech demo screenshots and discussing that "game without a name" that's not really a game rather than a really spiffy graphics engine, he somehow finds the time to make all these interviews on Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines. This time <a href="http://planetbloodlines.gamevision-network.de/bloodlines/intervieweng.php" target=_blank>Leon makes landfall</a> on <a href="http://planetbloodlines.gamevision-network.de/index.php" target=_blank>Planet Bloodlines</a>. Here's some snippage:<blockquote>PlanetBloodlines.de: How many hours will it take for the player to finish Bloodlines once, and how many hours will the player have to spend to see EVERYTHING in the game?
<br>
<br>
<i>Leonard Boyarsky: Our testers are estimating it would take about 40 hours to play through the game the first time, or 60 if you're trying to do every quest.</i>
<br>
</blockquote>Unlike "some" games (I won't name any names) these days that offer around 10 hours worth of gameplay, I'm certainly happy to see we're still getting some actual playtime somewhere...
<br>
<br>
For those interested, the <a href="http://planetbloodlines.gamevision-network.de/bloodlines/interviewdeu.php" target=_blank>interview</a> is also available in german.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Unlike "some" games (I won't name any names) these days that offer around 10 hours worth of gameplay, I'm certainly happy to see we're still getting some actual playtime somewhere...
You mean like ToEE?
There is definitely a main story arc, as in most of our games
Aha!
Right now we are just concentrating on finishing the game, but I'm sure people on the team have quite a few ideas they'd like to explore if given the chance to do a sequel or add-on, but I guess that's something to discuss at a later date.
It's nice that they finally realize to make a good game first and talk about expansions/sequels later.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Not a bad little interview..

"Anyone who likes Troika style RPGs will love this game."

That's what Troika said concerning TOEE..

"Unlike "some" games (I won't name any names) these days that offer around 10 hours worth of gameplay,"

Why not? It's not your fault Fable lasted 10 hours or so accoridng to most people who played it.

"You mean like ToEE?"

Nah. TOEE took 20-30 hours unless you did it the 'quick" way.

Spazmo

Erudite
Transcendent One said:
You mean like ToEE?

ToEE was short?

It's nice that they finally realize to make a good game first and talk about expansions/sequels later.

This just doesn't even make sense at all--no game produced by Troika (-ites) has a sequel or expansion, aside from Fallout.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"ToEE was short?"

Yes.

"This just doesn't even make sense at all--no game produced by Troika (-ites) has a sequel or expansion, aside from Fallout."

Doesn't make sense since your papa dropped ya on your head that is. This is in reference to Troika shouting to the heavens before Arcanum,a nd espicialy TOEE about all the wonderful expansions/sequels they were gonna do yet have yet to materialized.

R00fles!

Whipporowill

Erudite
Well, however short ToEE might have been (it wasn't major league lenghty, admittedly) - I certainly remember playing more than 10 hours of it, and then that's not even counting replaying.

Yeah Volo, part of the fun is that anyone would realise it was Fable I was talking about, without actually having to bring it up. Gee, some people! :roll:

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Since Volourn already responded, then I suppose my answer would be redundant. But yes, ToEE was very short. No longer than 20 hours the first time, and even shorter on the following playthroughs. And yes, the other comment was in reference to Tim Cain and I think even Leon going on and on about how their games are going to get wonderful expansions and sequels, when in fact, as you've just pointed out, none have and all of that was simply empty hype.

almondblight

Arcane
I don't trust the hours to finish given by developers, as all too often I've seen people tout games that will take "50 hours if you rush through" that are actually 15 hours if you do everything (besides continously run your character in circles). It'd be nice if I was proven wrong here, however.

Surlent

Liturgist
PB.de: What feature in Bloodlines are you most proud of?

LB: There's a lot of features I love in this game, from the detailed facial expressions to the discipline implementation, so it's hard to pick one and say that it's my favourite. I think the thing I'm most proud of about Bloodlines is that we accomplished what we set out to do - make a real action RPG. That is, a Troika style RPG that has action oriented combat, not a hack and slash fest with a few stats/skills thrown into the mix so it can be called an 'RPG
Wow. I guess Lenny has different views what action RPG is than I do or most ppl seem to have ala Diablo.
But that is also interesting criticism, hack 'n slash with stats/skills.
Aren't dungeon crawls all about that ?

On a sidenote, notice the shop frame on the right side ? If you click it, Amazon.de offers BL probably preorder though, but the cover art is that classic design. Could it be that European versions would get that cover instead of the official cover art posted here awhile ago ? Or haven't they just updated the site ? Don't usually EU versions have different cover arts ?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, European versions usually do feature different cover art. The cover art for the English and German releases of Sacred was a lot better than the Encore version. The same was with Divine Divinity.

Whipporowill

Erudite
It's possible that we'll see different box art for different territories, all depending on the publisher (publishers in Sacred's case). I heard something about a black box with golden inlay mentioned from some Australian store, but that's nothing I've seen. As for that black picture being the European box shot, I'm sceptic, looks just like the first promo logo for the game.

Surlent

Liturgist
Yes, that is very likely it's just logo. Though personally I think it would make better cover.
Amazon.de seemed to show actual cover arts for Deus Ex:Invisible War,Thief:Deadly Shadows and KotR.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom