Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay, Bethesda, and the Fallout license

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Fallout 3; Interplay

<a href=http://www.nma-fallout.com>NMA</a> reports that <a href=http://www.nasdaq.com/asp/quotes_sec.asp?symbol=IPLYE&selected=IPLYE>Interplay quarterly report</a> is out. Here is a short version:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Since we were having difficulty meeting our payroll obligations on a timely basis to our employees a large number of our employees stopped reporting to work in late May and early June 2004. We were subsequently evicted from our building at 16815 Von Karman Avenue in Irvine, California in mid June 2004. We have a core group of approximately 20 employees on payroll, of which approximately 8 are actively working from the new company location in Irvine, California. Substantially all employees have not been paid for the period July 1 through September 30, 2004. There may be some liability to us arising from employees who have left.</blockquote>
<br>
Herve is like LeChuck (another famous evil Frenchman). He can never be defeated permanently.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Interplay sold to Bethesda Softworks LLC, "Bethesda" the rights to develop FALLOUT 3 <b>on all platforms</b> for $1.175 million minimum guaranteed advance against royalties. Bethesda also has an option to develop two sequels, FALLOUT 4, and FALLOUT 5 for $1.0 million minimum guaranteed advance against royalties per sequel. Interplay retained the rights to develop a massively multiplayer online game ("MMORPG") using the Fallout Trademark.</blockquote>
<br>
Hmm, I wonder what that "on all platform" thing means? Could it be...? Nah, it's too early to tell.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
The game is almost certainly going to be on consoles. Whether it will be a port released after the PC version (the best case in a bad situation, IMO), or developed simultaneously alongside the PC version (bad), no one knows.

Whipporowill

Erudite
"The rights for all platforms" doesn't equal actually releases on all platforms, but yeah... anyone but me suprised if Fo3 comes out on X-box next? :lol:

As for why Troika was shafted when the bid was seemingly low - Beth could promise future royalties, as a publisher. Pretty sure that's the main reason.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Mr. Teatime said:
Whether it will be a port released after the PC version (the best case in a bad situation, IMO), or developed simultaneously alongside the PC version (bad), no one knows.
Uh, the common sense knows. Ask it. (Hint: it's the second option)

Mr. Hand

Novice
You've all misconstrued it.
The consoles thing is referring to the NGage and the Nintendo handheld and
will only be implemented in Fallout 8 (assuming 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 go well).
Its a sidescroller involving the grandson of the original Vault Dweller and his brahmin.
Word is, you have to defend your herd from multiple waves of radscorpions, geckoes and deathclaws with 6 different weapons. It will also feature the latest FORCE FEEDBACK TECHNOLOGY!
YES!

Mendoza

Liturgist
Mr. Hand said:
You've all misconstrued it.
Its a sidescroller involving the grandson of the original Vault Dweller and his brahmin.

Brahmin mounts? Awesome!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So.. they have employees.. what games are they working on?... :lol:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Oh come on, guys. At least he's, ahem, trying to save the company. I think. :lol:

He probably thinks that the MMO-Fallout game will save Interplay.

Odin

Novice
Locue said:
Oh come on, guys. At least he's, ahem, trying to save the company. I think. :lol:

Actually that's the shocker about Hervie, he really does think Fallout MMORPG will save it..which only goes to show how talented he is.......which is he's not..

Mendoza

Liturgist
Odin said:
Locue said:

Actually that's the shocker about Hervie, he really does think Fallout MMORPG will save it..which only goes to show how talented he is.......which is he's not..

We can at least be thankful that you need money to make an MMO game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well, the X-Box and the PS2 are clearly too inferior to support any of the things going into the TES4 engine which is being used to develop both Oblivion and Fallout 3. While it's still too early to tell whether the game will be released on consoles as Oblivion will, there is no doubt any release would be on a next-gen console like the Xenon and not on any of the current generation.

I don't think we have to worry about the scaling back of graphics, AI or map sizes with the next-generation consoles, because from what I understand, the Xenon is just a souped up G4 or G5 or something like that, with an X800 or similar ATI card.

As for Troika not winning the bidding war: even if they did win it, their version of Fallout 3 would have likely been a real time with pause game, like their tech demo (which, by the by, is really a tech demo of Fallout 3 that never materialized - look at the cars - , with a bunch of character models from other projects of theirs). The game would have probably been something we'd all have wanted to play, though. More so than Bethesda's version.

geminito

Liturgist
Exitium said:
As for Troika not winning the bidding war: even if they did win it, their version of Fallout 3 would have likely been a real time with pause game, like their tech demo (which, by the by, is really a tech demo of Fallout 3 that never materialized - look at the cars - , with a bunch of character models from other projects of theirs). The game would have probably been something we'd all have wanted to play, though. More so than Bethesda's version.

Why would anyone want to play a real-time-with-pause Fallout?? I would rather have a Fallout Morrowind than any real-time-with-pause RPG. Ick.

Not that I'm saying I want a Fallout Morrowind. Turn-based, oh please.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
geminito said:
Why would anyone want to play a real-time-with-pause Fallout?? I would rather have a Fallout Morrowind than any real-time-with-pause RPG.

Personally speaking, in the event of not being able to get a turnbased Fallout 3 with snazzy camera options a la Silent Storm, I'd prefer to have a realtime with pause F3 than a realtime, firstperson one.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
the specs for the ps3 and xbox2 are more than a decade ahead of what we all played the original titles on. they're also more advanced than the pc rigs most of us use currently.

Briosafreak

Augur
Exitium said:
Well, the X-Box and the PS2 are clearly too inferior to support any of the things going into the TES4 engine which is being used to develop both Oblivion and Fallout 3. While it's still too early to tell whether the game will be released on consoles as Oblivion will, there is no doubt any release would be on a next-gen console like the Xenon and not on any of the current generation.

I don't think we have to worry about the scaling back of graphics, AI or map sizes with the next-generation consoles, because from what I understand, the Xenon is just a souped up G4 or G5 or something like that, with an X800 or similar ATI card.

Yep you`re right, but the lack of memory in PC terms quantity is still a bit worrying.

Rex i`m serious here, where do you get those ideas? Why was it going to be RT with pause?
Leon said:
I don’t know how I would have felt about making FO3 anything but isometric and turn based. We did have an extremely high budget idea for another approach, but even in that scenario combat was isometric and turn based. Of course, it’s easy for me to say I wouldn’t have done a paused real time FO3 now, but I don’t know what I would have said if the offer was made.

The proposals for Fallout3 Troika was working were for a TB game, either iso and TB, or a FPRPG with iso TB combat. RT wasn`t on the table at the time, wich doesn`t mean if they were offered a deal to do it, in case the others fell through, they were open to listen to it.
But when we talk of Troika FO3 Turn Based combat was the only real choice at the time, the rest were hypothesis. Now the PA game, that´s a diferent story, maybe you were confusing the two?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
FO series is dead to me. I now look forward to the future and Troika, but will keep tabs on whether or not bethesda has screwed the series.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Briosafreak said:
Rex i`m serious here, where do you get those ideas? Why was it going to be RT with pause?
Well, based on Leon's recent comments I would think that the only way they managed to pitch Fallout 3 to any publishers was to offer up a real time with pause solution in addition to the Fallout setting. I would assume though, that they managed to work out some deal with the unnamed publisher to publish their (assumably) upcoming realtime with pause RPG without the Fallout setting. Of course, I'm just making an assumption. It's likely that they would have proposed turn-based before opting for the RT with Pause but with publishers these days, and Troika's own lack of clout, it's hard to say if the publisher would have agreed to a TB game regardless of the Fallout setting.

Damn Interplay.

Surlent

Liturgist
You could also think from Leon's comments that he meant their specific PA game.
It doesn't (likely) have any known license and has PA setting for RPG game, finding publishers might be slimmer if you add TB combat in the mix.
Ofcourse this is just speculation.

Briosafreak

Augur
Ok i understand the confusion now, the part i quoted is from their Fallout3, while you remember the parts about the PA game. RT with pause was the least possible way at the time, it would take a diferent offer in case the others would not went throught. On the PA game the situation was/is the oposite, therefore your confusion i think.

radon

Novice
Well the PS3 will be able to handle the game its just that sony is being really gay about everything and doesnt even want to show one early game even though we know that there are ass loads of them in production. I wouldnt doubt it being like a console that can handle the Unreal Engine 3 at like 100 fps. Then again the pics of Oblivion that i saw were like orgasmic so im like not worried about graphics, hopefully they make F3 look the as good if not then ill be angry and you know you will to Rex. GAY SHIZZLE MIA NIZZLES :( Oh and i want to find a copy of Street Fighter Anniversary Edition for 20 bucks (US) can you fuckers help?

Vault Dweller

Developer
radon said:
Then again the pics of Oblivion that i saw were like orgasmic so im like not worried about graphics, hopefully they make F3 look the as good if not then ill be angry and you know you will to Rex.
like, wow

Spazmo

Erudite
That kid is this close to an "Illiterate" tag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom