Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Bethesda tried to get someone else to make a Fallout MMO?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout

<p>If you're looking for a bit more on the whole "Bethesda suing Interplay" thing, <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Interplay_counters_Bethesda%27s_claims_with_quotes_from_Bethesda%27s_statements">Ausir has written up the latest</a> based on more court docs:</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">In June 2004, Interplay originally only licensed the rights to develop three Fallout games to Bethesda, while keeping the ownership of the franchise and retaining rights to develop a Fallout MMO, based on the Exclusive Licensing Agreement (ELA). Bethesda only purchased the rights to the franchise as a whole in 2007 by entering into the Asset Purchase Agreement (APA), at the same time licensing the rights to develop and publish the Fallout MMO to Interplay via the Trademark License Agreement (TLA).</p>
<p> </p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Based on the terms of the original 2004 ELA, Interplay was allowed to create a massively multiplayer online game using the name “Fallout” and based on elements of the pre-existing Fallout games created by Interplay, but not on any material created by or for Bethesda. However, the ELA was later superseded by the APA and TLA, the latter of which only vaguely states that Interplay can use the trademark “Fallout” to create a Fallout-branded MMOG.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">[...]</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">Interestingly, Interplay also claims that Bethesda violated the TLA by attempting to "grant another party Interplay's rights" regarding the Fallout MMO. No further details are given.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">18</span> <strong>16</strong>!</p>

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
This is like that show The Bold and the Beautiful, only with game devs and lawyers!

OminousBlueDot

Educated
Always suspected Davaris was a fan of Passions, not The Bold and the beautiful.

So, Interplay has been developing this MMO for 6 years? ... Hurra, our very own Fallout: Forever.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Rasputin said:
Davaris said:
This is like that show The Bold and the Beautiful, only with game devs and lawyers!

Does that shit still airs on TV?

I think so. The same women were in it last I heard and their faces are getting really freaky with all the plastic surgery. Its yet one more reason to watch! :lol:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Yeesh said:
You mark my words, kids. This whole MMO thing is going to be HUGE.

Not it isn't like every single other MMO except WOW. The only thing that's gonna be large is trial.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
This case, pleases me. I cant help but hope that Interplay wins and it reverts to the original agreement. Beth will only ever make Fo 4 and 5 then, and they will have to stop the rape, but then Herve will be back in command, and bring all new FoBoShit rape.

I am conflicted.

Pika-Cthulhu said:
This case, pleases me. I cant help but hope that Interplay wins and it reverts to the original agreement. Beth will only ever make Fo 4 and 5 then, and they will have to stop the rape, but then Herve will be back in command, and bring all new FoBoShit rape.

I am conflicted.

Herve's games have a much higher chance of being vapourware, so that might be :incline: .

On the other hand, I expect there's probably some serious hatred between Herve and the guys at Obsidian (the guy did screw over the Black Isle employees - who were the ones that actually stayed profitable - for about several months' worth of unpaid wages, and never paid up until Bethesda made that a condition of their purchasing the FO licence), so we probably wouldn't see any NV games.

Ausir

Arcane
Beth will only ever make Fo 4 and 5 then, and they will have to stop the rape

They'd make only one more game, since New Vegas would count as Fallout 4 by the terms of the agreement.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, that's according to the original agreement only. Now, if somehow Beth did void the contract by seeking another company to work on an MMO, or some other way, how bad would that be for them, number 1. Number 2, what kind of financial restitution would Iply seek?

Not saying they did void the contract, only a what if scenario. However, it seems pretty shady that they're actually going about screwing over Iply this way. I'm not a fan of Herve by any stretch, but at the same time, they're just as bad in this department because Iply was actually working on the game and can most likely prove it.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Major_Blackhart said:
However, it seems pretty shady that they're actually going about screwing over Iply this way. I'm not a fan of Herve by any stretch, but at the same time, they're just as bad in this department because Iply was actually working on the game and can most likely prove it.

From what I've been reading lately, dog eat dog, seems to be standard practice in big business. So if it wasn't Bethesda doing it to Interplay, no doubt it would be the other way around.

And yes I know, Captain Obvious!, but get a load of this guy to see how ridiculous it can get:

http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog ... n-lawsuit/

Paul Allen’s Interval Licensing LLC filed an original lawsuit in August that lists a broad range of online services, web browsers and desktop software that violate Interval patent number 6,034,652 and three others. Patent 6,034,652 is titled “Attention Manager for Occupying the Peripheral Attention of a Person in the Vicinity of a Display Device.” Companies named in the Interval lawsuit include AOL, Apple, eBay, Facebook, Google, Netflix, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, Yahoo and YouTube. Technologies identified in the lawsuit include Google’s Android operating system, Apple’s iTunes and App Store and Facebook’s “Like” feature.

Drakron

Arcane
Pika-Cthulhu said:

I am conflicted.

Herve would just sell it after FOOL crashes and burns, you do realize there were other bidders, like Activision?

You wanna see Fallout by Activision? it would make Bethsoft efforts tame and conservative.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I don't see how Interplay could win, unless someone with deep pockets steps in and buys them out.

What I think will happen is Beth will keep suing until Interplay runs out of money and accepts a generous $$$ settlement for the rights to the name. Perhaps Herve is holding out for the same reason?

Drakron

Arcane
Herve wants to cash-in on FOOL, Interplay is a husk as I think they pretty much sold everything they had of any actual value or lost it to the developers due to failures of royalties payment.

I suppose there are a few IPs they still have but they are worthless, like the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance series were they can use the name but not the D&D license.

Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Davaris said:
And yes I know, Captain Obvious!, but get a load of this guy to see how ridiculous it can get:

http://personalmoneystore.com/moneyblog ... n-lawsuit/

Paul Allen’s Interval Licensing LLC filed an original lawsuit in August that lists a broad range of online services, web browsers and desktop software that violate Interval patent number 6,034,652 and three others. Patent 6,034,652 is titled “Attention Manager for Occupying the Peripheral Attention of a Person in the Vicinity of a Display Device.” Companies named in the Interval lawsuit include AOL, Apple, eBay, Facebook, Google, Netflix, Office Depot, OfficeMax, Staples, Yahoo and YouTube. Technologies identified in the lawsuit include Google’s Android operating system, Apple’s iTunes and App Store and Facebook’s “Like” feature.

Here is how I like my Paul Allens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwicLgOGJOI

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
IP trading:

"OH THIS GAME WAS VARY SUKSESSFUL LETS COPPY THE FRANCHISe but REMOVE THE GAMEPLAY OF THE GAME FRANSKISCE"

Stupid right?

*Millions of units sold*

I

HATE

THE

MARKET

!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom