Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review New Vegas - Dead Money reviewed at Eurogamer

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p><strong>Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money</strong> was given a 7/10 score <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-23-fallout-new-vegas-dead-money-review" target="_blank">at Eurogamer</a>, with complaints about filler content and frequent head explosions.</p>
<blockquote>While Dead Money justifies its 800 Microsoft Point price tag in terms of quantity, the quality isn't quite there. The plot and gameplay both sag in the second act, as you perform some obvious filler quests to entice your comrades to do as they're told. Tromping around poisonous streets looking for switches to throw or lost fuse boxes is the worst kind of RPG busywork, and the structure makes little attempt to dress it up as anything more important.<br /><br />Things pick up considerably once you're inside the Sierra Madre, where the script does a good job of dolloping out revelations and gameplay twists that fly in the face of your Ocean's Radioactive 11 expectations. But that final stretch with its infuriating collar-popping tricks and against-the-clock stealth knocks the wind from the story's sails right when it needs to be in full flow.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tromping around poisonous streets looking for switches to throw or lost fuse boxes is the worst kind of RPG busywork.

Uhm, no, not really. It can be quite fun. It all depends on the quality of level design, the way poison is implemented (on hardcore, I assume), etc.

I'm kinda conflicted about this review, actually. :?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Man, this review is full of subjective shit.

Anyway, to clarify two things

1. There are no forced stealth sections. There are no timed stealth sections. It all comes down to actual planning/trial and error. And I don't mean the cheap kind of trial and error. I mean the satisfing.

2. I don't get the problems people have with the collar. The timer resets if you just back down a little and then plan your move. The radios themselves are quite visible and not infuriating to find too.

Again, this beeing an Avellone project I was fucking surprised how good/hardcore gameplay is.

Hell hardcore mode IS fucking hardcore in this. Survival becomes nearly your most useful skill.

dr. one

Augur
seems like they haven´t made it accessible for wider audience, eh. hopefully it´ll be available for pc soon.

Hegel

Arcane
Weren't Eurogamers the same turdheads who awarded Ps:T with 5/10 because it contained too much text?
Yeah, right :smug:

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Hegel said:
Weren't Eurogamers the same turdheads who awarded Ps:T with 5/10 because it contained too much text?

7/10 they gave together with my favourite quote of retarded "not getting it"
It's far from perfect, and the casual way it treats death was something of a turn-off for me, but it's still about as good as they come.

Hegel

Arcane
IronicNeurotic said:
Hegel said:

It's far from perfect, and the casual way it treats death was something of a turn-off for me, but it's still about as good as they come.
Wasn't that the 2nd review?
I believed they pushed it out just because Torment got sublime scores on other magazines and Euro didn't want to lose their face.

Hegel

Arcane
mm1.jpg

Lothar.jpg

IronicNeurotic said:
Again, this beeing an Avellone project I was fucking surprised how good/hardcore gameplay is.
And probably his last one. I've seen some more reviews on NMA and the mainstream media seems to agree that the DLC is a piece of shit. This means less $$$ for Obgoldian and less $$$ means Avelone is less likely to lead another project again. Either he learns how to make games which brings in money or they stop him from making them.

racofer

Thread Incliner
...with complaints about filler content and frequent head explosions.

What's wrong, Codex? Wasn't Obshitian so great because they took away the retarded stuff that made FO3 so bad, yet now they put it back in? Or will the Codex argue that this time around it's justifiable by the Fallout lore?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
racofer said:

What's wrong, Codex? Wasn't Obshitian so great because they took away the retarded stuff that made FO3 so bad, yet now they put it back in? Or will the Codex argue that this time around it's justifiable by the Fallout lore?

The retards probably regarded Dialog as Filler content.

:smug:

Also an exploding head collar has the tendency to explode your head. Wild, I know.

And are established in Fallout lore as BOS tech.

Rhalle

Magister
IronicNeurotic said:
racofer said:

Also an exploding head collar has the tendency to explode your head. Wild, I know.

Game-long nuisance mechanics-- and especially ones that restrict movement-- are unwelcome. See: Spirit Meter.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Rhalle said:
Game-long nuisance mechanics-- and especially ones that restrict movement-- are unwelcome. See: Spirit Meter.

The problem here it isn't game long. In fact if you back off a little like said before the collar won't beep anymore. The only thing is that it forces you to plan ahead. Use your brain, you know?

After the signals gone you can pretty much run around free in the immediate area.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Rhalle said:
IronicNeurotic said:
racofer said:

Spirit Meter was a pretty good moron detector.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sounds better than Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage, at least.

KalosKagathos

Learned
IronicNeurotic said:
Games that are too easy are bad, unless the lack of challenge is justified by the story, in which case it's a brilliantly meta work of genius, and anyone who dares to dislike it just doesn't get vidya games at all, amirite?

Odds are, something that very much sucks is universally liked here. Why? Because it's RPG Codex.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
KalosKagathos said:
IronicNeurotic said:
Games that are too easy are bad, unless the lack of challenge is justified by the story, in which case it's a brilliantly meta work of genius, and anyone who dares to dislike it just doesn't get vidya games at all, amirite?

Odds are, something that very much sucks is universally liked here. Why? Because it's RPG Codex.

I don't understand...So you'd rather replay the morgue scene over and over again in PS:T rather than have it already assumed that you've done it for gameplay reasons?

What's the difference between dying and respawning in the same place and reloading a save anyway? Don't all games that use a save system have an inherent lack of challenge in them as you can just save before every encounter that may kill you?

EDIT: Checks around, notices KalosKagathos whining that Persona 3 didn't win RPG of the year and everything becomes clear....CONSOLETARD.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Grunker said:
Metro said:
Sounds better than Mothership Zeta and Operation Anchorage, at least.

That means next to nothing, though.

It's a shitty comparison anyway since Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta were essentially story free FPSs while this DLC appears to be story driven.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom