Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Will wonders never cease - 3rd ToEE patch a possibilty

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Temple of Elemental Evil; Troika Games

After some <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413032&perpage=30&pagenumber=1" target=_blank>board rumblings</a> on Microsoft's WinXP Service Pack 2's impact on Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil - movies not playing (Bink issue), looting problems (DirectX issue), Atari's Pr Head <b>Brandon "Grok" Smith</b> has spoken up on the <a href="http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=811bc006dfdafd0dfdf6ce845e4bee65&forumid=286" target=_blank>official ToEE forum</a>. Here's what Mr Smith had to say:<blockquote>
<br>
I'll forward this to the production kids. There's no reason why we would not QA a new patch.
<br>
<br>
Grok
<br>
</blockquote>QA? Sure. How about paying Troika for it as well?
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.sorcerers.net">Sorcerer's Place</A>

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Fixing the SP2 issue would be great as I've had to take it off until I finish ToEE.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"QA? Sure. How about paying Troika for it as well?"

They alreayd got paid. They blew away all the money.

Spazmo

Erudite
Steve Moret said he was working on a patch 3 ages ago anyways. SP2 just adds stuff for him to fix.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Spazmo said:
Steve Moret said he was working on a patch 3 ages ago anyways. SP2 just adds stuff for him to fix.

More importantly - some pressure on Atari to fix it, as the game won't work all that well under SP2. Previously it was a lot of not as "necessary" fixes they probably didn't bother too much about.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I talked to Steve, and he's in crunch-mode for Bloodlines at the moment. He'll work on Patch 3 after he's finished work on Bloodlines. That might be awhile.

Seven

Erudite
Volourn said:
"QA? Sure. How about paying Troika for it as well?"

They alreayd got paid. They blew away all the money.

They got paid for the game and one patch. Anything else is out of the goodness of their hearts. I know you'll disagree, but...

Stark

Liturgist
Role-Player said:
SP2 has been screwing around with several games, last I heard. I'm not going to install that.

I gather that quite a few games have issue with SP2, but just dunno how serious is the problem.

I for one am not going to install SP2 until i've completed all my old games.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't recommend installing SP2. It just isn't worth it unless you're on constant 24 hour broadband and enjoy security. Beyond that, all it does is mess up a whole bunch of games, causing them to crash, or become unplayable in some way or another by messing up the copy protection triggers.

I'm going to have to try TOEE later with the no-CD fixed EXE and see if the looting problem exists. It's likely copy protection related like the Freedom Force one, which seems to run okay with the no-CD crack.

DemonKing

Arcane
Exitium said:
I don't recommend installing SP2. It just isn't worth it unless you're on constant 24 hour broadband and enjoy security. Beyond that, all it does is mess up a whole bunch of games, causing them to crash, or become unplayable in some way or another by messing up the copy protection triggers.

I haven't had any problems with SP2 and games, although granted I haven't played TOEE since I installed it.

I don't run the Windows firewall though, which seems to cause quite a few problems.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Building a firewall in to the OS is lame as hell. I just thought I'd point that one out, though I do enjoy the screenshots where people are in the middle of a multiplayer game and the built in firewall pops something up about the game they're playing for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom