Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Making of Dragon Age II, Part One

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Watch the <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/unnameddragonageprojectworkingtitle/video/6284996" target="_blank">first part of a set of videos</a>, featuring Lead Designer <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Mike "Something Awesome" Laidlaw</span> <span class="postbody">Mike "the key to tactical play is actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders" Laidlaw </span>and some other Biofolks, explaining how they'll make <strong>Dragon Age 2</strong> work as good on consoles as on PC among other things.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100682-the-making-of-dragon-age-ii-part-one.html">GB</a></p>

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
So much fuss because they changed the combat, it sucked anyway in Origins, BG 2 predecesor my ass.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I prefer Mike "the key to tactical play is actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders" Laidlaw. Several bioforum posters keep calling him out on that and he keeps avoiding the issue I guess because "We were too incompetent to get a free roaming camera working right even though I said there'd be one" would make them look bad.

hanssolo

Educated
If you're telling a dark fantasy, you don't want combat to feel like you're playing a chess game with a friend.

THIS IS ARRR PEEEE GEEEEEEUUUUUHHHHH!!!!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Putting spikes on everything apparently is a valid art style.

This game has some of the poorest art direction I've ever seen.

What? Oh yeah it's a cinematic action game and not an RPG. That's what BioWare does now. It is what it is.

Huh. Mike seems to have forgot his line:
"I don't want you to feel that the game is rolling dice behind the scenes, I want you to push the button, and feel that... feel that something - something happens".

This can either be interpreted as :incline: of Mike Laidlaw, e. g. he realizes how silly it sounds, or as :decline:, meaning that he actually managed to forget the line "something awesome happens" even though it has been repeated ad nauseum.

SolipsisticUrge

Educated
Thousands of consequences in the epilogue of the original? No, not really.

I'm not one of the huge detractors of the original, but man, this game looks worse and worse with every bit of information that pops up concerning it.

Project: Eternity
Goddamn, who is it that thinks the retarded blood spray that the characters never seem to bother to wipe off even when they're just talking hours after the fight is a good idea?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I didn't mean for my post to come across as criticism but :thumbsup: for the edit, laughed when I saw it.

Brother None said:
What? Oh yeah it's a cinematic action game and not an RPG. That's what BioWare does now. It is what it is.
As a profeshunal game journalist, you should know better than this. There's nothing that requires dexterity or reflexes or twitching in that footage at all. No more than playing DA without pausing.

Black

Arcane
Brother None said:
Putting spikes on everything apparently is a valid art style.
It is!

assaspikes.jpg

Begriffenfeldt

Educated
"and people wearing armor from origins were going, "oh! oh wow! I see what you did there"

:/

:?

Someone please put Laidlaw out of his misery.

Yeesh

Magister
Tee hee, this is the new world. The games we know and love will never again come from a studio with more than 10 employees. Unless we learn to know and love the new shit.

You think Bioware's fucking up, but they're not. They've just outgrown us. As has the world. It's as sensible to rail against a game like DA2 as it is to complain about twitter, about iPhones, about blogs, about 3D, about real time, hell about mice.

I remember when mouse support was optional. Turns out it worked out fine that it's required. I mean, that's neither here nor there, but I'm just sayin' I'm old.

Rhalle

Magister
Yeesh said:
Tee hee, this is the new world. The games we know and love will never again come from a studio with more than 10 employees.

Yep.

Unless we learn to know and love the new shit.

kotickinvst.jpg

"He gazed up at the enormous face. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

:rpgcodex:

Chuftie

Augur
commie said:
Melcar said:
We are nothing.

YOU are fucking nothing, with your defeatist, hangdog posture and aimless shuffling when you move!

I still have the FIRE!

Commie help me gain the fire!

As I cannot experience first-hand the crappiness of the most recent bioware games

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Yeesh said:
Tee hee, this is the new world.

Smug defeatism is awesome because it's the laziest attitude in the world.

Good luck with that, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom