Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IGN Interviews BioWare

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: BioWare

<a href="http://pc.ign.com">IGN</a> has just put up an <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/549/549530p1.html">interview</a> with <a href="http://www.bioware.com">BioWare</a> that's mostly the same as the interview earlier today. Half of the questions and answers are nearly similar, with a little paraphrasing. However, the 2nd page of the interview discloses details not present in the other interview, and elaborates on what the 5 teams at BioWare are working on in full. Here's all the stuff you need to read:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
<b>Ray Muzyka</b>: We can't comment on what specific platform(s) the game we're using the Unreal Engine 3 will be targeted for, but I can say that we are exploring both PC and next-gen console options, and what we have in the works so far looks absolutely stunning - the team is doing a great job! In addition, it's important to note that there's more to a great game (particularly a role-playing game) than just the graphics engine -- all of our games at BioWare are quite different (different settings, different features and different underlying engine tech) yet they're very similar in many respects too - we'll make sure we capture this uniqueness via the RPG layer. We're committed to making each game we build better than all of the previous BioWare games and the advanced features we're putting into this game should definitely help us achieve that, and the BioWare Eclipse Engine being developed by our Technology Architecture Group will help us to continue to excel in the future beyond that!</blockquote>
<br>
I suppose this explains that the 5th group comprises of their BioWare Live Team and not a 2nd unannounced title. If such a title exists it's probably not in development at the moment. Furthermore:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
The third new IP we have in development will be using the Unreal Engine 3, and we haven't revealed anything else about this game yet, other than that it will be a RPG in the BioWare tradition, though with a few new twists! We also have some very cool engine technology in development by the talented members of our Technology Architecture Group and some exciting online distribution plans by the BioWare Live Team. And to top it all off we have some very cool external projects in development with partner studios who are licensing our engine technology to develop other new games. All in all it's an exciting time at BioWare but everything feels well in hand - we're fulfilling our strategic goals and this is very satisfying.</blockquote>
<br>
One can surmise that Obsidian is going to use the Eclipse Engine for their development of Neverwinter Nights 2. It's also clear that BioWare themselves isn't working on Baldur's Gate 3, though one of their partner studios might be. If I'm not mistaken, I'd say that their third new IP which uses the Unreal Engine 3 is <b>Star Citadel</b>.
<br>
<br>
Update: I've been informed that NWN2 will <b>not</b> be using the Eclipse Engine but rather an updated version of Aurora. Silly me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"One can surmise that Obsidian is going to use the Eclipse Engine for their development of Neverwinter Nights 2."

That one's surmise would be dead wrong. It's been clearly stated that the NWN2 engine is an updated Aurora Engine. From what (admittedly little) we know of the Eclipse Engine; it's brand new and they're not even done working on it internally.

"I'd say that their third new IP which uses the Unreal Engine 3 is Star Citadel."

Could be. However, even though us 'Net geeks know about the Star Citedal trademark; BIO actually hasn't annoucned anything about it yet...

Anonymous

Volourn said:
Could be. However, even though us 'Net geeks know about the Star Citedal trademark; BIO actually hasn't annoucned anything about it yet...

Why do you lie?

It's obvious this is an announcement LOL :roll:

xemous

Arcane
jeaz, bioware has gone far since nwn, 5 development teams, the unreal 3 engine, they licensing there engines out, have obsidian working on there franchises, kotor was a real sucess in the xbox dept and pc actually.
bioware is looking really strong atm, and atari is gaining ground as a major publisher with them.

Seven

Erudite
Why Atari? All they'll be doing is publishing the DnD stuff because they hold the license, or am I mistaken?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Not at all. Microsoft are publishing Jade Empire and a publisher has yet to be announced for Dragon Age. I'd guess it won't be Atari though, since the title seems like direct competition to Atari's Dungeons & Dragons games. Maybe MS again?

Talorc

Liturgist
Seven said:
Why Atari? All they'll be doing is publishing the DnD stuff because they hold the license, or am I mistaken?

I think you are right - Atari has to publish anything DnD related because they hold the licence.

KOTOR was published by LucasArts (just like all the other Star Wars games).

Jade Empire is being published by Microsoft Game Studios. Dragon Age is listed as "unsigned"

So I dont think that Bioware has in any way locked themselves into Atari as a publisher. They can obviously self fund development, which puts them in a very strong negotiating position with any Publisher.

They must be tempted to self Publish -but we all know how that turned out for Interplay...

--- Edit - Yeah, what Azael said ;-) ---

DemonKing

Arcane
Well, Bio sure has come a long way, as others have said.

Rumour has it that MS has first refusal on any non-licenced title produced by Bio so it wouldn't surprise me if DA is published by MS. Their CRPG range could certainly use some work since the best they've come up with so far is Dungeon Siege. :roll:

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Is this what passes for news recently? Shouldn't we be out calling this guy a dumbfuck because his games lack solid roleplaying or sumthin'?

Yeah, interesting read. As people said, they've come a long way. So, that, coupled with their claim that they've finally found that their palyers like making choices in games, hopefully will have them work on a worthwhile CRPG in the following years.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom