Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Pete Hines Responds

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

Pete "not-so-full-of" Hines has saw fit to respond to the recent <i>fallout</i> over the GameInformer and PC Gamer articles on the development of Fallout 3 in his <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9523">reply</a> at <a href="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">No Mutants Allowed</a> with the following:
<br>
<blockquote>No, like I said, there are no devs for Fallout 3. Todd is the executive producer for both Oblivion and Fallout 3. Knowing who it is that will be in charge of the project is a bit different than having developers on the team to talk about things they've decided to do, or not to do. Again, those people still don't exist.
<br>
<br>
The stuff hitting the magazines now was all done at the same time as the online interviews that appeared back when we announced we obtained the rights to Fallout 3, except for the Game Informer bit, which was done a few weeks afterwards.</blockquote>
<br>
Maybe this will get people to stop making infantile, knee-jerk reactions with a personal slant pertaining to the development of the game and focus more on making valid remarks while offering constructive criticism instead of screaming like a bunch of spoiled babies. <b>Nobody's going to listen to you if all you don't make any sense.</b>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
If there are to be turn-based battles they damn well better not be like the ones in Silent Storm. Good old Fallout is so much better - not to mention faster paced. Can't stand waiting 50 minutes for all your useless 'allies' and 'civilians' to move a full way across the map as they walk around in circles, crouch, stand, crouch, drop all of their equipment, and walk in another circle.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As someone said on NMA, Bethesda's PR really sucks.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't think they're used to having a vicious rabid mob jumping onto them everytime there's a new preview, press release or anything. This kind of behaviour is childlishly unfathomable - and it only serves to drive them (bethsoft) away.

If you want to see how a real 'campaign' should go, check out www.savedanieljackson.com - they managed to save the Daniel Jackson character on Stargate SG1, and they did so without being asinine, rude or immature about it. They didn't say, "FUCK YOU MGM." or "FUCK YOU RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON". They said, "please listen to us" and gave the producers reasons to do so.

Surlent

Liturgist
Interesting, I never knew Daniel was compromised in the series.
Thought he was on vacation on the sixth season.

Gwendo

Augur
After experiencing morrowind's hype for years before it was released and after the GD (great disapointment), I wouldn't give much attention to what is said by Bethesda. The're good at hyping.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I don't think it's strange that people are reacting as they are considering Bethesda has stated things on the line with "we'll say something, when we have something to say", and stuff like survival-horror are among the few nibbles of info having reached us. Beth has said way more in the print mags than in the online interviews, wheter actually having SAID these things or not...

I wouldn't say Beth's PR sucks, considering Peter Hines certainly tries to interact with the FO and cRPG community, but they should certainly make sure what they say to whom and when (don't ok stuff like that for print mags if it's not TRUE! PR 101 d00ds?). Recieving nothing and then being kicked in the balls will only make the rabid dogs bark harder.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Surlent said:
Interesting, I never knew Daniel was compromised in the series.
Thought he was on vacation on the sixth season.

There were some creative differences between the actor Michael Shanks and the producers of the series. They wanted to do something to his character that would have pissed both him and the fans of the series (e.g. us) off because they wanted to more or less destroy the chemistry the character had in relation to the series and the other characters and do something vastly different from what the character had originally been devised as in the first season.

Nobody wanted to see him leave, and several magazines reported that Christopher Judge (Teal'c) and Amanda Tapping cried with him in his trailer during the last episode of the 5th season before he left. They'd had to stop between cuts because Amanda would break out in tears. Heh.

I don't like how they killed off the Dr. Frasier character last season, either. I don't think that was called for. I'm not sure what the reason for that was.

Surlent

Liturgist
Yea, I always liked the lines: "Sir, we have never seen anything like this before"
"So doctor, how long till he wakes up ?"
"Could be weeks, could be months, who knows"

Damn shame they took general Hammondr also out. He was quite good in his own way if you picture him as military personnel.

Recieving nothing and then being kicked in the balls will only make the rabid dogs bark harder.
Dogs ? Bethseda or FO fans ? I think it's Bethesda who gets the kick in the balls. :lol:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, and she always liked to say, "Clean bill of health", like Teal'c says "Indeed". I don't think Judge was too happy about his character being limited to 2-3 words per episode, though. I heard that what little dialogue he had, he had to write in himself because the scriptwriters wouldn't do it. He's a fine actor, and it was really pitiful what they did with him. It's nice to see that the new season has had 3 Teal'c-centric episodes so far with plenty of character. He's writing his whole episodes now, much like Christopher Judge is for his own episodes.

I think that it's a very nice shift away from all the Sam Carter episodes in the 7th season that depicted her character as a silly immature girl who cared more about getting a big hug from Jack than thinking about the rest of her friends. (Just watch the episodes "Heroes Part 1 and 2") The camera just puts way too much focus on her looks at him whenever both of them are on screen. It got to be really, really silly in Season 7.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Exitium said:
Maybe this will get people to stop making infantile, knee-jerk reactions with a personal slant pertaining to the development of the game
I don't really see how more bullshit would get people to stop making "infantile, knee-jerk reactions".

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Nobody's going to listen to you if all you don't make any sense."

Tough. bethesda has never listened to me anyways as evidcned by their multiple crappy games that suck so why should I start worrying about that now? Bethesda makes crappy games hence I *know* the chances of FO3 sucking is like 95% as long as Bethesda is developong it.

They lose. You lose. I lose.

Game over.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Nobody listens to you, Volourn."

yet, they continually reply to me. There. Is. No. Logic. In. Your Statement.

Plus, youa re wrong. Devs listen to me. At least the good ones do. Even Troika did when I was having fun at TOEE's expense! In fact, they probably are the ones who treated perfectly. At least they never told me to shut up or called me out. LOL

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh, they definitely hear you, but it doesn't mean that they actually listen to you. Signal-to-noise ratio and all that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeah, sure, whatever makes you feel better. It's not often I see a delusional person say that.. Oh, yeah, it is, and it's always a lie.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Speaking of infantile, knee jerk reactions.. Weren't you the guy who buried his head deep within Blizzard's crotch through most of the beta of World of Warcraft, then when they changed a few things, you declared the game a dismal failure on many forums across the 'net, Exitium?

Personally, I think it's a little silly not to point out things like what Vault Dweller pointed out about that piece in that magazine. Sure, he might have gone a little overboard and perhaps could have been a little more tactful than saying outright that Pete Hines is full of shit. Then again, I fail to see how Bethesda would pimp out the previews for something that they know changed at some point.

Look at it this way. Bethesda PR's been saying there's no design work done on Fallout 3 at all and they don't have any idea what they're going to do with it yet. They've been saying that since the beginning when they announced it. Yet they gave gaming magazines info about being a survival horror-esque RPG and bits of info on goggle wearing player characters. Then they claim that info given to those magazines were given at the time of the announcement, so they've had months to correct those magazines on the subject of what they originally told them - which still doesn't fit what's been said, does it?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Saint_Proverbius said:
Look at it this way. Bethesda PR's been saying there's no design work done on Fallout 3 at all and they don't have any idea what they're going to do with it yet. They've been saying that since the beginning when they announced it. Yet they gave gaming magazines info about being a survival horror-esque RPG and bits of info on goggle wearing player characters. Then they claim that info given to those magazines were given at the time of the announcement, so they've had months to correct those magazines on the subject of what they originally told them - which still doesn't fit what's been said, does it?
Precisely. Thank you, Saint. You are like a brother I've never had

Seven

Erudite
I fail to see how this clears anything up; it's just more bullshit piled up on the other bullshit which basically amounts to: "Um... yeah, those interviews were done a month ago [before they realized people would get upset at decisions to go FP and RT without consideration for anything else], so just ignore it for now." and "Ugh.. yeah, eventhough the articles do present some clear ideas of what will be in FO3 just ignore that too because there's no dev team yet [BTW, where else would the articles get such clearly defined ideas except from a Beth person]."

Lies and bullshit, that's what we've got. If any one here wants to swallow it then fine, but don't expect us others too.

Ortchel

Liturgist
I think we've reached maximum capacity on whining for the day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom