Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Todd Howard on Fallout 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

I picked up the October issue of <b>Computer Games</b> and there was an article about <b>Fallout 3</b> quoting Todd Howard. Now if you have some common sense and figured out that FO3 will be a real-time non-isometric console game, then there is nothing new for you in the article, otherwise...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>"We always talked about doing another RPG, something different then The Elder Scrolls, that held the same things true that we love - player choice, open-endedness, great characters and such (I'm confused, is he talking about Morrowind here? - VD). So we would always talk about doing something like Fallout because we liked it so much"
<br>
<br>
The game is being developed alongside the next Elder Scrolls game, and will be available on PCs and consoles as well. There is not much to reveal yet about the game's storyline, but its SPECIAL character system, and it's <u>gritty drug-and-prostitute-speckled</u> irreverence is still at the core: "I don't plan on tempering it. I think we're looking at a hard M (rating). The biggest challenge is "to create something for today's market that has the same impact that Fallout had on gaming in 1997."
<br>
<br>
"I'd say the impact the original had in its day was about so much more then the angle you viewed it at, or how combat was executed"</blockquote>
<br>
Another developer thinks that Fallout was about drugs and hookers. Deja Vu.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It's still using SPECIAL and all you people can think about is how Fallout 3 is going to be a first person action shooter for the PS2.

Makes sense, right?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lionheart also used SPECIAL, so?

Edit: add FOBOS and FOT to that list as well.

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
It's still using SPECIAL and all you people can think about is how Fallout 3 is going to be a first person action shooter for the PS2.

Makes sense, right?

Nope, all we can think about is how TeamChuck thought FO was just about drugs and hookers, and now here we have another dev is seems to share the same idea.

And while using SPECIAL is a step in the right direction, executing it in RT would most likely spell disaster (RE: Lionheart).

kathode

Novice
Developer
Just a quick obvious point that won't do anything for you: The drugs and hookers part is not a quote from Todd. That's from Computer Games. Notice the lack of quotes :)

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I would be able to accept the fact that it will be a real time fps. But console and survival horror? What the fuck.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Hey Kathode, thanks for dropping by. We were just talking about you guys :)

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
teh trying to warm us up 4 their seckret anouncement;

"I'd say the impact the original had in its day was about so much more then the angle you viewed it at, or how combat was executed"

FPS and real time[/quote]

kumquatq3

Liturgist
POOPERSCOOPER said:
wow, were screwed.

Vault Dweller said:
Lionheart also used SPECIAL, so?

My thoughts exactly, anyone know if Teatimes/Briosfreaks story is true? As a mod edited Briosfreaks post (if you follow the trail of links) in the Beth forum.

Btw, EXIT, check your pms once in awhile! :)

Spazmo

Erudite
Kathode, would you care to clarify on the survival horror thing? I'm giving you guys the benefit of the doubt on that one because holy shit that'd suck, but it would be nice to get an explanation. Was the magazine guy smoking a big 'ol crack pipe?

DemonKing

Arcane
kathode said:
Just a quick obvious point that won't do anything for you: The drugs and hookers part is not a quote from Todd. That's from Computer Games. Notice the lack of quotes :)

Hi Kathode - thanks for the explanation...although I was more concerned about this: "will be available on PCs and consoles as well".

Was that the magazine again, or is this a fact? :(

I guess I shouldn't be too negative - the capabilities of the next-gen consoles might surprise, but at this stage I would prefer a PC product developed exclusively for that platform.

And before you ask - yes I did play Morrowind!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well I'd like to stray away from the 'pack' (e.g. rabid fanbase) for a moment and present an optimistic viewpoint about Fallout 3.

We have to face some facts here. Interplay definitely ruined the Fallout franchise with the introduction of Fallout Tactics and the FOBOS game. There's just no ignoring it. While it would be wise to leave these 2 titles out of the background of Fallout 3, I think it really isn't in Bethesda's interests to create yet another 'spinoff' (so to speak) of Fallout's world, from a creative point of view. The license belongs to them now, and it's really up to them to make Fallout their own, as they see fit. If they simply developed a game under the same setting as Fallout, with the same characters and gameplay (not that it wasn't good. It was.) they'd merely be developing a 'sequel to Fallout' and not creating their own game, if you catch my meaning.

I've heard suggestions on various forums (bethsoft, DAC and NMA) concerning the use of J.E. Sawyer's work in the title. I must say I disagree with those suggestions to use his work, because they were meant for an entirely different game (Van Buren) and Bethesda should very well be given the opportunity to come up with their own ideas and aspirations for their version of Fallout 3.

Certainly, it would help very much (in terms of continuity) if they tied their game in with the background of the original game by preserving the 50s-pulp future setting and details like the fundamental draught of petroleum in the world, but beyond that, I really don't see why they have to preserve the turn-based gameplay (much to my own dismay, should they opt to go with real-time) or even the isometric viewpoint. I simply fail to see how this would detract in any way from the game's roleplaying options and setting. Yes, it wouldn't be "Fallout", not Tim Cain's Fallout, or arguably even a 'Fallout game", becauase after all turn-based and isometric display were two of the key features in the game, not including the role playing, gritty setting and storyline, but there's no reason why it wouldn't be a good role-playing game in its own right.

I hope they preserve SPECIAL, and tweak it, of course, since the original SPECIAL was very imbalanced, inspite of what some people might say. Luck didn't come to being anywhere as useful as Agility or Intelligence, for example, nor were the traits balanced either. Gifted > *

Though, one would come to wonder how the implementation of SPECIAL would work in a real time environment assuming that they decide to pursue this option.

As for the game being "Survival Horror" rather than RPG, I really f*cking hope not. I don't need another Silent Hill.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Now, here's what I want to see in Fallout 3:
Role-playing options with multiple choices, multiple solutions and multiple outcomes.
Intensive dialogue
Turn based combat
Isometric viewpoint with a static camera. (Silent Storm is a big NO)
SPECIAL or something similar to it.

In that order.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
But that's no fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom