Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion official

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

It's official, the countdown is over. <A href="Http://www.elderscrolls.com">the Elder Scrolls site</a> has updated with a teaser about <b>TES4: Oblivion</b>. Here's what's said:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We are pleased to announce that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is currently in development for PC and future generation consoles. In development since 2002, Oblivion is another leap forward in role-playing with its combination of freeform gameplay and cutting-edge graphics. The world-exclusive details on Oblivion are featured in the October issue of Game Informer. Check out their mammoth 12-page cover story to get all the details and screenshots. (And yes, that's in-game art on the cover.)</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Please, for the love of good interactive design, <i>dialogue trees</i> this time! Please!
<br>
<br>
BTW, you can see the <A href="http://www.elderscrolls.com/home/obliv_cvr.htm">cover art</a> of the Game Informer magazine where the 12 page preview of the game will be seen. That's an in-game screenshot there.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Pete Hines</b>!
<br>

geminito

Liturgist
Ridable horses at last! (If the image is to be believed.) I hope they're more useful than they were in Sacred...

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
That's actually in-game art on the cover, or CGI? If it's actual art, and the graphics are that good, then congratulations to Bethsoft, that seems to be quite a technical leap from Morrowind.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
We all have lost a part of our souls with the announcement of this game. :cry:

rasta_kid

Novice
Please clarify, is that a piece of concept art, or actual ingame content?

kathode

Novice
Developer
It is a shot using real in-game assets. The guy on the cover is actually the "player character" who we use most often when we're playing the game right now. Obviously he has been posed by hand for purposes of the cover, but there is no graphics magic or sleight-of-hand going on. It is not a high-poly render or something that we're only using for cutscenes or anything like that. That is how his armor will look when you play the game. The same for the horse, his face, and the castle in the background - all in-game assets that are rendered in real time by our engine.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'd be willing to bet that the specs of the PC are the same as any capable of running Half Life 2 or Doom 3. The graphics don't look that far 'ahead' of the two aforementioned titles though the detail on the textures certainly merits pause.

geminito

Liturgist
The graphics look amazing based on the magazine cover. But no one really expects RPG's to be the leaders in graphics technology. FPS games play that role. By the time Oblivion is released, some FPS games will have done better. But that's not really the point of an RPG, is it?

Still, it looks like Obilvion will be gorgeous!

Wheres' teh demo!!!1!??/

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Far too early to say either way how its going to be, from what little info we know, the fact that its pc & console, its a bad omen... but see how it works out, i really want bethesda to deliver a great rpg, something better than morrowind and comparable to daggerfal. Technicaly, because this is a repeat of Morrowinds first screenshots and i have sense of deja vu, its not an in game screenshot with someone playing, its a screenshot of in game assets posed in a certain way. You can take that anyway you like, but the first 4 MW screenshots where alot different than what was in the final game, 1 gave the impression you could ride gondala's and another gave the impression pack animals would be in the game.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Thats a horse? Its head looks way too squished, looks more like a demonic burro or something...

kathode

Novice
Developer
FrankHorrigan said:
Far too early to say either way how its going to be, from what little info we know, the fact that its pc & console, its a bad omen... but see how it works out, i really want bethesda to deliver a great rpg, something better than morrowind and comparable to daggerfal. Technicaly, because this is a repeat of Morrowinds first screenshots and i have sense of deja vu, its not an in game screenshot with someone playing, its a screenshot of in game assets posed in a certain way. You can take that anyway you like, but the first 4 MW screenshots where alot different than what was in the final game, 1 gave the impression you could ride gondala's and another gave the impression pack animals would be in the game.
There are about 20 shots in the article that are really in game. If you have any doubt that that's what the game looks like, your fears will be set aside when you look at the inside shots. They're even better :) No gondola riders in these shots, that's for sure. For the cover a posed shot works better 99% of the time though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's possible they could break tradition and make a good game!"

Don't hold your breath!

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
kathode said:
There are about 20 shots in the article that are really in game. If you have any doubt that that's what the game looks like, your fears will be set aside when you look at the inside shots. They're even better :) No gondola riders in these shots, that's for sure. For the cover a posed shot works better 99% of the time though.

I have no doubt at all that it will be even more visualy stunning than morrowind, i just really really hope you guys are going to deliver on the rest of the stuff. I so much want this game to revive the TES series, Arena and Daggerfall were nothing short of amazing but morrowind, however technicaly impressive an achievement it was, was not a great game. just a good one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom