Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Grimoire preview at RPGDot

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Grimoire

<a href="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPGDot</a> have played around with a beta build of the infamous Grimoire, which is apparently nearing completion and will be released as a shareware game. They've collected their impressions into a <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1045>preview</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>I have been playing and testing a Beta copy of the game for the past few weeks, and having a blast. Yes there are still bugs and areas that are not working properly, or which need the addition of a few more encounters, but this is going to be a great game when all the problems are resolved. With a few more months of scheduled testing and balancing before its release, the final product should please (and silence) all of those who said the game would never be released.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I don't really know enough about this game to say anything snide about it, but I'm sure our forum users will provide.

Whipporowill

Erudite
That's the guy who lives in a bunker in the Australian outback isn't it? I don't know anything about the game, except that it doesn't really look all that interesting - but considering he's done it (all?) by himself, I have to say that's pretty impressive.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Whipporowill said:
That's the guy who lives in a bunker in the Australian outback isn't it? I don't know anything about the game, except that it doesn't really look all that interesting - but considering he's done it (all?) by himself, I have to say that's pretty impressive.

I think it's him and some other guy. They've been working on Grimoire for years now. It's the Duke Nukem Forever of independent CRPGs, basically.

Dhruin

Liturgist
I think Cleve can officially say he's doing better than DNF - afterall, we've seen Grimoire and we know it's getting close to release.

For those that like Wizardry, it should be worth a look.

Stark

Liturgist
I played Wizardry 8, and liked it, until i realize there's no satisfaction of leveling up since all battle encounters are scaled to your level (plus abit higher) so my party is always losing when traveling on the road, no matter how many times i level up.

maybe i just suck at that game, but i think it would be a perfect game if difficulty of encounters are more balanced.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Stark said:
I played Wizardry 8, and liked it, until i realize there's no satisfaction of leveling up since all battle encounters are scaled to your level (plus abit higher) so my party is always losing when traveling on the road, no matter how many times i level up.

maybe i just suck at that game, but i think it would be a perfect game if difficulty of encounters are more balanced.

Only the Arnika Road was so hard in the beginning.
Otherwise I was always winning when traveling on the road, especially with the solo faerie ninja :cool:

DemonKing

Arcane
I remember when Grimiore was due for release in 1997 - with Grimiore II and III to come in late 1997 and 1998!

I'll believe it when I see it.

Stark

Liturgist
theverybigslayer said:
Stark said:

Otherwise I was always winning when traveling on the road, especially with the solo faerie ninja :cool:

I was doing ok even in the beginning, and I got to Anika.

it was right after Anika, along road to subsequent areas, I ran into bunch of bandits and mages and got my party wiped out. (a few mind control spells and ability drain and i got into serious trouble) It's just too hard for me. It's possible i just suck at combat though.

after a few reloads and encounters like these i gave up and uninstalled the game. I like the battle, but it's too numerous and difficult (for me).

crufty

Arcane
Clive brings new meaning to 'It's done when it's done.'

Of course, I'm all in favor of it...any indie crpg that is not worked full time is going to take a while. Might as well take your time...since chances are, you won't get paid (much) for your efforts anyway.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
Stark said:

Soloing in a party RPG and winning...

The Very Big Slayer is a god amongst men.

Worm King

Scholar
Wyrmlord said:
theverybigslayer said:
Stark said:

Soloing in a party RPG and winning...

The Very Big Slayer is a god amongst men.

No, he's just autistic. Some savants are gifted with mathematical genius or unrivaled musical skill, Big Slayer, however, can solo old party RPGs.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Ahh, Grimoire. For the curious, there's a DOS 1997 beta floating around. Just search for it.

If it was almost done back then, I cannot understand why he didn't just finish the thing. Has anyone managed to get a comment from him on the subject (these days that is)?

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Complete overhaul of almost everything for the n-th time, loss of interest due to self-diagnosed autism, yada yada.

Funny thing is, even after all the revolting bile that he has spewn on the net for decades, I'd still pay him 10$ for this game. The irony...

Anyway Basilisk Games of Eschalon fame have hinted that they have a Wizardry-style game in pre-production phase, so there is at least something to look forward to.

Saxon1974

Prophet
asper said:
Anyway Basilisk Games of Eschalon fame have hinted that they have a Wizardry-style game in pre-production phase, so there is at least something to look forward to.

And I believe its going to be a sci-fi setting. Not a huge fan of sci-fi RPG's but I will still play it im sure.

Andhaira

Arcane
blakemore got busy with his bunker I guess. And dejected when he realized nothing he produced would match with the epicness of wizardry 8 (which he was hoping would tank)

mondblut

Arcane
Dunno, I liked the Grimoire betas way more that Wiz8. But I guess the next-gen-generashun worships the 3d encounters and stuff and whatever...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom