Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Geralt Will Kick Pirates' Asses

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>CDProjekt's co-founder <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-22-witcher-2-torrents-could-net-you-a-fine" target="_blank">Marcin Iwinski is not happy</a> with the prospect that some subhuman rabble might download the purportedly DRM-free <strong>The Witcher 2</strong> illegally, so he's about to take measures that this scum gets what it deserves: a legal letter or something.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>"Of course we're not happy when people are pirating our games, so we are signing with legal firms and torrent sneaking companies," CD Projekt co-founder Marcin Iwi&#324;ski said.</p>
<p>"In quite a few big countries, when people are downloading it illegally they can expect a letter from a legal firm saying, 'Hey, you downloaded it illegally and right now you have to pay a fine.'</p>
<p>"We are totally fair, but if you decide you will not buy it legally there is a chance you'll get a letter.</p>
<p>"We are talking about it right now."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16202">RPGWatch</a></p>

Stig

Novice
It's almost like he wants to make it sound as non-threatening as possible.

1eyedking

Erudite
Just put some good old fashioned "look-this-up" copy protection. People don't seem to care about manuals anymore.

I actually doubt they can read them at all.

racofer

Thread Incliner
1eyedking said:
Just put some good old fashioned "look-this-up" copy protection. People don't seem to care about manuals anymore.

I actually doubt they can read them at all.

1eyedking, you're a genius.

I will start inciting people on developer forums to release a dvd along with their games with the manual narrated by some of those Discovery Channel guys, along with a series of images a la powerpoint presentation that will at long last bring innovashun to game manuals.

:thumbsup:

bhlaab

Erudite
Zebra rules-- out of 20,000+ people they will be able to fine how many, five?

DraQ

Arcane
bhlaab said:
Zebra rules-- out of 20,000+ people they will be able to fine how many, five?
There are over a million of kids mocking you or engaging in other acts of low harm asshattery.

You can't catch any significant portion, and the smarter of them are perfectly aware of that.

So you catch the one you can, soak it in gasoline and set aflame. That will teach the buggers!!!1

:x

Sounds like perfectly legitimate logic.
:roll:

bhlaab

Erudite
DraQ said:
There are over a million of kids mocking you or engaging in other acts of low harm asshattery.

You can't catch any significant portion, and the smarter of them are perfectly aware of that.

So you catch the one you can, soak it in gasoline and set aflame. That will teach the buggers!!!1

:x

Sounds like perfectly legitimate logic.
:roll:

OK, I'm not sure I fully subscribe to your "fining a person who illegally downloads your product is like lighting a child on fire" analogy

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I always wondered why companies tend to be assholes to paying customers instead of doing something like this.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
DraQ said:
They should've stuck with a carrot.

Any stick they will use is going to be too unreliable anyway.

Stardock did it best; you could pirate the game, play it..BUT to get patches you needed your unique code. The scene released these patches from time to time, but essentially you were getting half a game if you pirated.

Now I'm sure TWitcher will not be a bugged as fuck mess as a Stardock game is at the start, but maybe they could release periodically adventures as free DLC for registered users etc. Yeah it's imperfect but is more of a carrot than shitty DRM or letters.

DraQ

Arcane
bhlaab said:
OK, I'm not sure I fully subscribe to your "fining a person who illegally downloads your product is like lighting a child on fire" analogy
Well, the point is that if you're using something so unreliable, you generally have to up the punishment way above anything that is proportionate or reasonable if you want it to have any effect from straight averaged cost/benefit POV which doesn't really describe such situations adequately anyway.

In terms of anti-pirate weaponry publishers are impotent, they should concentrate on attracting legitimate customers, rather than deterring the pirates.

silvade

Novice
I'll still torrent it :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom