Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Fallout: New Vegas Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>ComputerGames.ro provide <a href="http://computergames.ro/en/games/viewitem/id/4011/name/fallout-new-vegas/section/review.html" target="_blank">one of their in-depth reviews</a> this time concerning the second coming of cRPGs, <strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong>. And they score it 93/100.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Fallout: New Vegas. Deep Breath. Who would have thought?<br /><br />Not me. I hate the engine and its already disgusting age that clearly shows, despite Obsidian&rsquo;s best efforts to polish the graphics, I hate the shameful and deformed endoskeleton sustaining it that&rsquo;s Fallout 3, not being able to say anything negative about it without someone who knows better to shut me up &ndash; literally everyone, apparently.<br /><br />Still, what were the chances that something so exquisite - bordering both the brilliant and the insane &ndash; could come out from the worst donut a game could ever cook into?<br /><br />Really slim. And as slim as they were, Obsidian studios deserves the praise they get, and Bethesda for trusting them with our dreams. It&rsquo;s really something else &ndash; well fleshed out and with enough content to make Fallout 3 look like the fluked exam that is really is. What&rsquo;s disappointing is that the technical base betrays it, so there are quite a few number of bugs to be had, ranging from amusing collision detections to the more severe kind (condolences go out to all the fellow post-apocalyptic adventurers who have lost their saved games due to the intense radiation). From what I experienced in the dozens of hours spent in the desert, I could say the impact of bugs on the game is negligible, but ultimately it also depends on luck and your PC configuration.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />After Fallout 3, veterans of the series had lost any kind of hope they would ever set foot in a new post-apocalyptic world that they could appreciate without the help of mods. That&rsquo;s why New Vegas is all the more impressive, because despite its problematic foundation, it turned into a game that even the most elitist and conservative of fans will play until exhaustion.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Seems they liked it.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Thanks to </em><span class="genmed"><em>Kthan75 for pointing this out.</em><br /></span></p>

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
But skyway says it sucks so they must be wrong.

CraigCWB

Educated
I bought it but haven't played it yet. All that miscellaneous garbage he talks about Fallout 3 has me doubting his judgment, though. If he's that biased against Fo3 just because Bethesda did it, then why should I believe his bias isn't on display in this review as well?

Partisans shouldn't be game reviewers.

CraigCWB

Educated
Xor said:

Yeah, skyway thinks Divinty II is a great action game too. Do I really have to upload video of me walking up to mobs my level and button mashing them to death in seconds while I'm brushing my teeth and watching the news to get through to him how retarded and trivial the "action" in Divinity II is? And I bet he thinks VATS is a cheat and the combat in FO3 is lame, right? At least in FO3 if I walk into a group of 6 raiders my level and start button-mashing I'm prolly not gonna make it out again. Not that combat in FO3 is hard or anything, but it's not stupid-easy either. I bet skyway is one of those people who grinds up to level 12 in Divinty II so that he can go back to the areas he skipped and "totally own" level 2 mobs, while gaining 1 exp (minimum) per kill. And no doubt using "advanced tactics" such as clicking on his magic missile hotkey while pausing the game. Never realizing he could have just walked up to them and button-mashed them to death in 2 seconds while he was also level 2, and gotten 50x the exp. Skyway's a real playa.

CraigCWB said:
Xor said:

Yeah, skyway thinks Divinty II is a great action game too. Do I really have to upload video of me walking up to mobs my level and button mashing them to death in seconds while I'm brushing my teeth and watching the news to get through to him how retarded and trivial the "action" in Divinity II is? And I bet he thinks VATS is a cheat and the combat in FO3 is lame, right? At least in FO3 if I walk into a group of 6 raiders my level and start button-mashing I'm prolly not gonna make it out again. Not that combat in FO3 is hard or anything, but it's not stupid-easy either. I bet skyway is one of those people who grinds up to level 12 in Divinty II so that he can go back to the areas he skipped and "totally own" level 2 mobs, while gaining 1 exp (minimum) per kill. And no doubt using "advanced tactics" such as clicking on his magic missile hotkey while pausing the game. Never realizing he could have just walked up to them and button-mashed them to death in 2 seconds while he was also level 2, and gotten 50x the exp. Skyway's a real playa.

I don't know who you are but I don't like you.

And every reviewer is partisan... Objectivity is a myth. I prefer my sources to be open with their baggage so I have more information to go on.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
CraigCWB said:
I bought it but haven't played it yet. All that miscellaneous garbage he talks about Fallout 3 has me doubting his judgment, though. If he's that biased against Fo3 just because Bethesda did it, then why should I believe his bias isn't on display in this review as well?

Partisans shouldn't be game reviewers.
So much angst; you sound like a beth fanboy.

Fallout 3 was, unequivocally, a piece of shit. It didn't matter who made it.
Try playing New Vegas and comparing the two. Maybe you'll change your mind.

(But what can change the nature of a beth fan-boy?)

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I always thought it was something like this: Fallout 3 is a bad Fallout-game.

edit: and just so you guys won't hate me, I didn't enjoy the 4-5 hours I put into Fallout 3.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
CraigCWB said:
Xor said:

Hey, you're that guy who said that every game in 2000 run in 640x480 :lol:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Yeah, skyway thinks Divinty II is a great action game too. Do I really have to upload video of me walking up to mobs my level and button mashing them to death in seconds while I'm brushing my teeth and watching the news to get through to him how retarded and trivial the "action" in Divinity II is?
Are you referring to ED or DKS? Because I played ED on hard and what you say is false according to my own experience. Sure once you outleveled the enemy by a few levels you became pretty much invulnerable to them but that didn't apply to mobs of your level or higher level respectiveley. So yeah, upload a video.

CraigCWB

Educated
ZbojLamignat said:
Hey, you're that guy who said that every game in 2000 run in 640x480 :lol:

No, I said that it was a common resolution in the late 1990s, when Diablo II was developed. Even the great Baldur's Gate shipped with 640x480 graphics :o

You're the guy who claimed every game in 2000 supported 1600x900 resolution so people could play them on their 24" flatscreen LCDs, right? And that Windows 95 shipped with Direct 3D support?

I wonder which of us was playing computer games back then, and which of us was still being potty trained?

CraigCWB

Educated
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Yeah, skyway thinks Divinty II is a great action game too. Do I really have to upload video of me walking up to mobs my level and button mashing them to death in seconds while I'm brushing my teeth and watching the news to get through to him how retarded and trivial the "action" in Divinity II is?

Are you referring to ED or DKS? Because I played ED on hard and what you say is false according to my own experience. Sure once you outleveled the enemy by a few levels you became pretty much invulnerable to them but that didn't apply to mobs of your level or higher level respectiveley. So yeah, upload a video.

Yeah, ED was pretty hard on "very hard" difficulty. DKS is not. DKS on "very hard" is the easiest game I've played in years. I was 2-shotting level 4 goblins when I was level 1, no problem. And I didn't even have to use the default skill I got in the tutorial. At level 10 I still haven't spent a single skill point or a single stat point, and I'm still 2-shotting these trash mobs at the bottom of broken valley which are level 7 - 9ish. Using the same tactic, which is walking up to them and clicking the LMB. I must be a hell of a lot more uber than old-time codexians like Skyway, right? Maybe it's all those years I spent playing games that actually required skill that has caused me to think what I'm doing in Divinity II is not a display of skill?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What's with all the horribly awkward expressions, though? Russians cannot into English or shitty translation job?

CraigCWB

Educated
poocolator said:
Fallout 3 was, unequivocally, a piece of shit.

I have trouble believing that somebody who says something like that might believe their opinions might be considered in any way valid. Or would have the gall to call somebody else a fanboy. I have no idea what pet games you're servicing by ranting about how awful Fallout 3 is, but I'm certain you'ce got a reason for all this over the top shit-talking and that it's game related.

That's fanboy behavior, in case you didn't know.

Gromnir

Liturgist
fo:nv plays pretty much exact the same as fo3... save that it is skewed even more in favor o' shooter gameplay. vats is so underpowered compared to the iron sights option that whatever vestige o' tb gameplay that might have existed in this franchise has been thoroughly relegated to the post-apocalyptic waste pile. am supposing that some folks see that as a positive.

the new vegas wasteland is a a well-constructed (if stale) setting that IS more reminiscent o' fo1 than fo3. am supposing that some folks see that the return to a more generic wasteland setting as a positive.

fo:nv added hardcore mode... which don't make the game anymore difficult, but it does add a level o' gameplay micromanagement that were not present in fo3. 'course insta travel means that you is never more than a tedious load screen away from a doctor, bed, water source or potential dog/geko/bighorner corpse. am supposing some folks see hardcore mode as a positive.

the factions is laughably broken, but we s'pose they does prevent some psychotic wannabees from indiscriminately decimating entire towns and cities. but am s'possing that some folks see factions as a positive.

there is dozens o' skill boosting magazines, and a perk that doubles their efficacy... which largely nullifies obsidian efforts to minimize the skill point bloat o' fo3. am s'possing that some folks see the new fo:nv skill progression scheme as a positive.

etc.

we liked fo3 well enough. we like fo:nv well enough. is no surprise that we like both games, 'cause other than the blessed reduction o' the number o' radscorpion attacks we had to endure while wandering the wastes, fo:nv played very much like fo3.

HA! Good Fun!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
JarlFrank said:
What's with all the horribly awkward expressions, though? Russians cannot into English or shitty translation job?
Russians? Romanians.

I was surprised at the amount of space the author devoted to the Caravan game.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Gromnir said:
vats is so underpowered... that whatever vestige o' tb gameplay that might have existed in this franchise has been thoroughly relegated to the post-apocalyptic waste pile.

HA! Good Fun!
:salute:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
CraigCWB said:
No, I said that it was a common resolution in the late 1990s, when Diablo II was developed.
Cool story bro.
CraigCWB said:
Even the great Baldur's Gate shipped with 640x480 graphics
Except that it didn't. It had 640x680 as the lowest possible res and supported higher ones. As, like, virtually every game in 2000.
CraigCWB said:
You're the guy who claimed every game in 2000 supported 1600x900 resolution so people could play them on their 24" flatscreen LCDs, right? And that Windows 95 shipped with Direct 3D support?
Wow, you really aren't too bright nor too funny, are you?
CraigCWB said:
I wonder which of us was playing computer games back then, and which of us was still being potty trained?
Stop wondering and try avoiding letting other people to use your head for potty training.
Gromnir said:
fo:nv plays pretty much exact the same as fo3...

Basically, yes.

CraigCWB

Educated
ZbojLamignat said:
Except that it didn't. It had 640x680 as the lowest possible res and supported higher ones.

If anyone needed additional proof that you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, there it is :)

Ruprekt

Scholar
Baldur's gate was 640x480. BG2 added 800x600.

As I remember a PC of 2000 was something like a 500 mhz cpu with 256mb ram and a 64mb graphics card.

This was a time when PCs were doubling in power year on year, so go back a year to 1999 and you can halve all those numbers.

I first played Fallout on a 166mhz pc with 32mb ram (I had to upgrade that to 64mb for fallout 2) and an 8mb graphics card.

Elwro

Arcane
@CraigCWB: From the first page (after TOC) of Baldur's Gate 2 manual, where Muzyka lists the improvements over BG1: "we added the 800 x 600 resolution".

...and I distinctly remember playing it in that resolution ;)

@Ruprekt: I played Fallout 2 on a P120 with 32 MBs of RAM, a few times :D It didn't require 64 MBs...

Elwro

Arcane
Yes, but iirc the higher resolutions weren't officially supported or sth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom