Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Venetica to be Released in the UK on Friday

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Venetica

<p><a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100383-venetica-to-be-released-in-the-uk-on-friday.html" target="_blank">Gamebanshee reports</a> that the english version of <strong>Venetica</strong> is - finally - to be released tomorrow.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Venetica, Award-winning cinematic RPG, available on PC, Xbox 360 on Friday 12 November; PS3 version to follow</strong><br /><br />Stunning European role-playing game available this week<br /><br />Thursday, 11th November 2010: Mastertronic, the UK&rsquo;s leading independent publisher of computer and videogames, has today announced it has scooped the rights to distribute Deck 13&rsquo;s fantasy RPG Venetica on Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3 and published by DTP. The game will be available from Friday, November 12th for Xbox 360 and PC, with the PlayStation 3 version following a few weeks later.<br /><br />Venetica is a gorgeous fantasy role-playing game, in which players assume the role of Scarlett, the daughter of Death. Set in and around the city of Venice in the 16th century, the game challenges players to rid the city of a dangerous necromancer, who is determined to bring death and destruction to the world.<br /><br />The game offers players true-to-life visuals, subtle camera work, and spectacular cutscenes, with detailed cinematic sequences taking players on a unique journey through the game world in a way that is unmatched in the RPG genre.<br /><br />Venetica was a massive hit in its native Germany, with GamingXP.de awarding it a massive 88 per cent. Gamers Plus described it as &ldquo;a fresh role-playing game with a unique setting&rdquo; whilst Looki.de declared &ldquo;you&rsquo;ve got to hand it to Deck 13: they know how to tell a fascinating story... which knows how to motive and attract the player.&rdquo;<br /><br />&ldquo;Venetica is a European breath of fresh air in a genre dominated by the Americans and Japanese,&rdquo; says James Cato, Group Sales Director, Mastertonic . &ldquo;We&rsquo;re thrilled to have added this to our roster, and look forward to introducing UK gamers to one of the most original and beautiful role-playing games created.&rdquo;<br /><br />Venetica will be released on Friday November 12th 2010 for PC and Xbox 360, with a suggested retail price of &pound;39.99. The PlayStation 3 version will follow shortly.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Read <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=196" target="_blank">JarlFrank's review</a> to learn more about the game.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100383-venetica-to-be-released-in-the-uk-on-friday.html">GB</a></p>

Drakron

Arcane
If you like action RPGs, don't mind a few adventure elements and can live without Choice & Consequence and deep character development, this game is well worth your money.

Codex review score is 8 out of 10 Roofles and 2 out of 5 Skyway.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Interesting... might try it out. Would have to import it to buy it though I guess, as I like boxes.

Cenobyte

Prophet
The game is okay, but it's pretty obvious how limited their budget was. The skillsystem is thus rather shallow, but yeah, current "full-fledged" RPGs (at least in the popular opinion) don't really offer deep skillsystems either. The game also has a nice indie touch to it.

mondblut

Arcane
WTF is this piece of shit action platformer popamole cocksucking nigger vomit doing on the fucking Codex?

I am seriously considering resigning. You fags are getting no better than RPG "give us anything with hitpoints and we spread our buttocks happily" Watch. I don't want to be a part of it any longer. This is fucking shameful.

themadhatter

Novice
mondblut said:
WTF is this piece of shit action platformer popamole cocksucking nigger vomit doing on the fucking Codex?

I am seriously considering resigning. You fags are getting no better than RPG "give us anything with hitpoints and we spread our buttocks happily" Watch. I don't want to be a part of it any longer. This is fucking shameful.
Oh, come on, mate, given that the modern definition of a RPG is essentially "anything with statistics/attributes that change over time" you're either part of the dying breed that loathes it or you're reveling in the sodomy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:

I would agree this likely isn't what I would call an RPG. However, I play more than RPGs.

mondblut

Arcane
themadhatter said:
Oh, come on, mate, given that the modern definition of a RPG is essentially "anything with statistics/attributes that change over time" you're either part of the dying breed that loathes it...

You can't even begin to fathom how much I am.

I am seriously considering unleashing a killing spree upon "ARPG" developers. That will show them. If you babble something about "RPG" and yet your game isn't a Knights of the Chalice clone, you're fucking deadmeat. Or something. Fuck, I hoped at least the Codex would stay out of this homoniggerplague. Fuck.

DEATH TO "ARPGS"!

mondblut

Arcane
DalekFlay said:
I would agree this likely isn't what I would call an RPG. However, I play more than RPGs.

That's perfectly fine of you, I play Sexy Beach 3 and Football Manager 2010 too.

I don't expect them to be covered here, however.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
mondblut said:
DalekFlay said:

That's perfectly fine of you, I play Sexy Beach 3 and Football Manager 2010 too.

I'd say anything with RPG elements can be covered, if the news peeps wish it so. This certainly has RPG elements.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
mondblut said:
DalekFlay said:

The game's being marketed as an RPG (or ARPG), regardless of what the codex thinks of it, it should at least be brought to our attention so we can RAGE about it. That's what we do best.

We can't talk about Arcarnum, Fallouts, Bloodlines, PS:T et al, forever you know - we're running out of things to say. :roll:

So let the RAGE begin (and thanks for kicking it off mondblut) :smug:

mondblut

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
The game's being marketed as an RPG (or ARPG), regardless of what the codex thinks of it, it should at least be brought to our attention so we can RAGE about it. That's what we do best.

It does not deserve the honour. Nor even the other honour. We're a prestigious magazine, after all.

Really, first the whole Codex except the worthy few is rolling over and spreading it for the Fallout 3: Now With Dialogues DLC, now every piece of shit is getting covered for "RPG elements" - did DU forget to pay for the domain name and it got snatched by RPGWatch or something?

It's called the "RPG Codex", not the "RPG Elements Codex" FFS.

Nobody would rage about some shitty game no one cares about. It's the Codex itself that invokes this rage. The decline, after all these years, finally got official. A sad day for the few islands of sanity still remaining in this world.

zeitgeist

Magister
An entire press release about an "RPG", in which the only even remotely RPG-related piece of information is "in which players assume the role of Scarlett, the daughter of Death"? Pretty telling, isn't it?

Dyskolos

Cipher
Set in and around the city of Venice in the 16th century, the game challenges players to rid the city of a dangerous necromancer, who is determined to bring death and destruction to the world.

Anybody else :retarded: at this sentence?

Felix

Arcane
I remember being blocked by rocks that can easily climb over irl in this game... :retarded:

themadhatter

Novice
mondblut said:
Really, first the whole Codex except the worthy few is rolling over and spreading it for the Fallout 3: Now With Dialogues DLC...
I'll ignore the rest of your post and just say "thank you!"
Honestly, I've been waiting a long time for someone to succinctly phrase my very thoughts on the matter of that atrocious game. Any more threads, here or elsewhere, praising New Vegas might well have done me in. Bravo, mate, bra-freaking-vo.

Shame it had to come in a thread concerning an action-adventure game (with stats!), but beggars can't...you know.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
mondblut said:
AlaCarcuss said:

It does not deserve the honour. Nor even the other honour. We're a prestigious magazine, after all.

Really, first the whole Codex except the worthy few is rolling over and spreading it for the Fallout 3: Now With Dialogues DLC, now every piece of shit is getting covered for "RPG elements" - did DU forget to pay for the domain name and it got snatched by RPGWatch or something?

It's called the "RPG Codex", not the "RPG Elements Codex" FFS.

Nobody would rage about some shitty game no one cares about. It's the Codex itself that invokes this rage. The decline, after all these years, finally got official. A sad day for the few islands of sanity still remaining in this world.

Yes, the decline after all these years is really disturbing.

DarkUnderlord said:
Gnidrologist said:
@VD There's surely some kind of forgery at work.
Nope, most posted about games in 2004 were:
  • Bloodlines (125)
  • KOTOR 2 (88)
  • Sacred (77)
  • Beyond Divinity (59)
  • KOTOR (55)
  • Silent Storm (34)

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
mondblut said:

Go make us some RPG's then, you son of a bitch!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Played it for 3-4 hours or so - boring plot and gameworld, mostly linear, combat and skill system below average, ugly too. Actually, not a single thing done right in it that I found. Even in comparison to "lacking" rpgs like Divinity 2 or Fallout 3, this one absolutely sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom