Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn Retrospective Review

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn; BioWare

<p>Manapool put up another retrospective review for an Infinity Engine game, this time <strong>Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn</strong> is the subject. <a href="http://www.manapool.co.uk/baldurs-gate-2-shadows-of-amn-review/" target="_blank">They score it 9.2/10</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The quests are also generally more enjoyable, with far fewer postal service-style quests, and a more polished feel. The evil (or at least, non-good) options in the game are also more interesting, and represent a far more varied replay of the game.</p>
<p>Unfortunately for those of you wanting to play evil parties, however, the numbers of companions are skewed against the evil protagonist, with it not being possible to field even a single 6-character party solely with evil NPC companions. Whilst this was not highly unusual at the time of release, modern RPGs really try to give their players options regarding their moral activities, and Baldur&rsquo;s Gate 2 still falls short on this count.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>As with the original Baldur&rsquo;s Gate, Baldur&rsquo;s Gate 2 has aged very well, and still looks very respectable. The audio is likewise of good quality, with the music once again being of high quality (&lsquo;The Domain of the Dragon&rsquo; is probably amongst the most epic combat music in an RPG), with the only possible flaw being the limited amount of voice acting.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Yes the music was awesome. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N56kBpMU1yA" target="_blank">Here are</a> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V6ayeiKkT4&amp;feature=related" target="_blank">two samples</a> to prove it.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100368-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn-retrospective-review.html">GB</a></p>

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
'flaw being the limited amount of voice acting'.

Fuck I hate when reviewers tack on current trends to games released a decade or more ago. Why not go further and lament that there are no cover mechanics?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What's with all the retrospective reviews recently?

Also
Unfortunately for those of you wanting to play evil parties, however, the numbers of companions are skewed against the evil protagonist, with it not being possible to field even a single 6-character party solely with evil NPC companions.

Bullshit. Neutral companions don't leave at low reputation, and you could easily fill your party with Edwin, Viconia, and Korgan (who are incidentally probably the best companions in the game) and two other neutral ones.

Dyskolos

Cipher
To be fair, its really hard to figure out NPCs who don't have cutscenes where they frown or fuck to let you know what they're thinking. thank god bioware has taken care of the problem now though.

Miew

Novice
Xor said:
What's with all the retrospective reviews recently?

Also
Unfortunately for those of you wanting to play evil parties, however, the numbers of companions are skewed against the evil protagonist, with it not being possible to field even a single 6-character party solely with evil NPC companions.

Bullshit. Neutral companions don't leave at low reputation, and you could easily fill your party with Edwin, Viconia, and Korgan (who are incidentally probably the best companions in the game) and two other neutral ones.

Besides, it's so much more fun to take some of the good characters with you (for at least a while) and have them moan at your actions or serve as cannonfodder somewhere along the way.

Since in BG2, unlike more recent games, characters can permanently die in combat, that adds a whole new level of evilness to what you can do.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Fuck voice-acting

In fact BG2 is better than every single "RPG" released in the past 5 years (if not more)

Unfortunately for those of you wanting to play evil parties, however, the numbers of companions are skewed against the evil protagonist, with it not being possible to field even a single 6-character party solely with evil NPC companions. Whilst this was not highly unusual at the time of release, modern RPGs really try to give their players options regarding their moral activities, and Baldur’s Gate 2 still falls short on this count.

Yeah like having those NPCs stay with you no matter what you do.

Also there are enough of NPCs for the evil character if you don't always do the quests in a chaotic stupid way thanks to neutrals which don't mind you doing bad stuff once in a while. And besides evil chars are usually the most powerful in BG2

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Baldur's Gate 2 with its 3 replies the same result dialogues, dumb protagonist, linearity, disregarding previous party, messy combat, PC starting dialogues by himself in most retarded moments and monty haul gets 9.2/10. What a bunch of cocksuckers.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
BG 2 is superb in non-gameplay department - user interface, graphics and sound. I can't think of any RPG that can top it in these areas. Combat part of the gameplay is salvaged (at least for those who like playing high level characters which happen to be magic users) by good encounter design, writing is standard Bioware fare (but with less facepalm induction than their newer games), quest design is uninspired, with consequences being mainly fluff and character stats barely influence non-combat gameplay. Despite its flaws, it is still one of my favorite RPGs.

I really don't get why Bioware doesn't reuse BG 2 UI in its games. They hit the jackpot back then and have been trying to replace it by all flavors of fecal matter ever since.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Xor said:

This. Actually, Yan Yansen was switched from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral for that specific purpose. Being the only actual thief in game he had to be usable for evil parties too.

MetalCraze said:
Fuck voice-acting

In fact BG2 is better than every single "RPG" released in the past 5 years (if not more)

And this.

Quilty

Magister
Who is this article aimed at? We don't need your retro-coverage of a widely acclaimed game we all played just because the xbawks kids haven't heard of it. It's pretty boring and poorly written, as well. Love the "dangerous hazards" bit.

EDIT: I just read his SoASE review that begins like something a kid would write for homework: "I am a huge sci-fi fan, I watch all things sci-fi and have a large game collection."

Fuck videogame journalism, this whole thing is making me sick :x

Needles

Scholar
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Baldur's Gate 2 with its 3 replies the same result dialogues, dumb protagonist, linearity, disregarding previous party, messy combat, PC starting dialogues by himself in most retarded moments and monty haul gets 9.2/10. What a bunch of cocksuckers.

"Messy combat" is actually a euphemism. BG2's combat is, contrary to popular opinion just plain bad. Ditto for encounter design.
-RTwP
-Trash mobs
-Boss fights without tactics (Buff for about 2 minutes -> click on boss -> win fight).
I remember when I played BG2 for the first time, at some point I realized the only reason why I haven't deinstalled it was the Diablo effect. l00tz. Of course, once I had all the fat loot I steamrolled shit even more..
To sum up BG2:
:x

edit:
also
MetalCraze said:
Fuck voice-acting

No

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"BG2 IS DEAD! FUCK IT!"

Long live the new shit. Bang.

janjetina said:
I really don't get why Bioware doesn't reuse BG 2 UI in its games. They hit the jackpot back then and have been trying to replace it by all flavors of fecal matter ever since.
What do you like about its UI exactly? Because I didn't like it at all, thought there was way too much form-over-functionality.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
'Fuck voice acting'

It annoys me to no end that this HAS to be the standard for large RPG's of late.

Most of the voice acting i NO GOOD!

So Id rather read voiceless text mixed in with a few tidbits of quality like with Irenicus and the rest.

Lightknight

Liturgist
-Boss fights without tactics (Buff for about 2 minutes -> click on boss -> win fight).
It was the other way around for me. Encounter boss -> hide and wait for about 10 fucking minutes till his shield spell times out -> repeat until he is out of shield spells -> attack and win.

Except some bosses have infinite shield time.

And some idiots claim it had a good encounter design...yeah, right.
Not to mention the whole "balanced for characters of level 20+" mentality. In a D&D game. What kind of ridiculous retardedness is that ???

CraigCWB

Educated
racofer said:
What's with everyone reviewing old games as of late?

What's with everyone raving about how great a game's MUSIC is of late? Well, whatever.

BGII is maybe my favorite RPG of all time but I didn't like the expansion much. The stuff it added to the main game was pretty good but the additional content they added at the end seemed like celebration of their own greatness with a lot of Monty Haul uber loot and over-the-top trash encounters without any real reason to exist. It was essentially a collection of DLCs, only you had to buy them all pre-packaged at the store instead of downloading them piecemeal from the web. An indication of things to come from Bioware.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
MetalCraze said:

Actually, BG2 is better than every single RPG released in the past 3 years, 1 month and 2 weeks as of today.

MasPingon

Arcane
Lightknight said:
It was the other way around for me. Encounter boss -> hide and wait for about 10 fucking minutes till his shield spell times out -> repeat until he is out of shield spells -> attack and win.

Wow, you are boring retard

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"BG2's combat is, contrary to popular opinion just plain bad. Ditto for encounter design. " :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom