Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Icewind Dale 2 Available on Good Old Games

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Icewind Dale 2

<p>Darth Roxor wants you to know that GoG <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/icewind_dale_2?as=1649904300" target="_blank">offers</a> <strong>Icewind Dale 2</strong> now.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The worst fear of the civilized realms has come true. The Goblinoids have united into an army of outcasts and misfits and they want to claim the Ten Towns for themselves. Massive swarms of Orcs and Worg-mounted Goblins are attempting to overrun the town of Targos, and that's just the beginning! A call has gone out to all those willing to face insurmountable odds in defense of the Ten Towns. Will you heed the call to arms and face the greatest threat to the Spine of the World?</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Yes! I love IWD2 so much! I can make my whole party and give them all a history and enjoy the delicious lores!

Too bad my computer crashes whenever I try to play an Infinity Engine game...

Ruprekt

Scholar
A special gift given by the publishers of the core game Icewind Dale II. This little package includes some extra stuff for the game in a Bonus CD, which contains more special items and more. It also includes a two-sided poster with a list of the enemies around the game and artwork, as well as a set of limited edition character trading cards with some artwork.

The Icewind Dale II: Adventure Pack was free of charge with a pre-order of Icewind Dale II, and afterwards it was also given away with the Collector's Edition purchase in some online stores.

I'd never heard of it.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
jiujitsu said:
Yes! I love IWD2 so much! I can make my whole party and give them all a history and enjoy the delicious lores!

I'm playing the game right now without crashing problems, so it's safe to assume that your comp is to blame. It's even safer to assume that you're to blame for not being able to run the config program and switch to OpenGL, which should fix most problems in IWD2. Also, the game is not about "delicious lores", but about defeating hordes after hordes after hordes of enemies. If you don't like that, there's a more recent game by the same bros where you can play dialogue-minigames and shit, the name was Alphaturd iirc.

Ruprekt

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
It's even safer to assume that you're to blame for not being able to run the config program and switch to OpenGL

There's no opengl option in the config menu for me so I've been using the directdraw dll fix.

CraigCWB

Educated
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
IWD 1 plus HoW is good, IWD2 sucks ass.

GAME OVER.

There wasn't anything particularly memorable about either of the IWD games. They were meant to appeal to people who liked the infinity game engine and didn't get enough of it with BG1&2 and Torment. Probably the same demographic who would enjoy the games today.

EDIT: Neither one of them "sucks ass", by they way. Unless somebody bought them thinking they were going to play like "meaningful" titles like BG2 and Torment :)

DemonKing

Arcane
CraigCWB said:
There wasn't anything particularly memorable about either of the IWD games. They were meant to appeal to people who liked the infinity game engine and didn't get enough of it with BG1&2 and Torment. Probably the same demographic who would enjoy the games today.

Each to their own, I guess - I thought the first IWD was the best looking IE game and had some wonderful locations to explore such as the Severed Hand and Kuldahar, plus the best CRPG music ever.

Yes it had a bare bones story solely in place to propel the characters from dungeon to dungeon, but I personally prefered it to Planescape.

CraigCWB

Educated
I agree with you, DK. The locations were very well done and very extensive in IWD (and IWD II) compared to other infinity engine games.

What I'm saying is that overall theme/story/plot/whatever seemed more like an afterthought that they just tacked on as a mechanism for stringing all those great encounters together. I played both of them twice and to this day I can't even vaguely describe what the player's primary mission was supposed to be, even though I could describe some of the locations pretty well.

The IWD games are pretty much the opposite of BGII and Torment on that. They focused on the story line and a lot of the locations were just throwaways that it seemed like they added just to flesh it out a bit.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Never was a huge fan of the series, but finished both games nonetheless as I was an IE whore at some time.

In retrospective, IWD1 was much better, since I played it close to 10 years ago, and still remember some of the nice locations and other stuff. I'm actually replaying it now MP with my wife and it's fun.
Despite that only 5 years have passed since my playthrough of IWD2, the only two things I remember from it are that it was based on 3E D&D rules and there was a dead cat joke in the first town.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
IWD was pretty meh.

IWD + HoW + ToL = pretty good game, best atmosphere of all the IE games imo.

IWD2 - rather shit I'm afraid, the first IWD formula was a one-go and it definitely didn't require a sequel.

Phelot

Arcane
I liked the whole series, expansions and all. I'd say I had the most fun with HoW, however.

IWD2 was good, but I disliked the new ruleset. Oddly enough, I always had a ranger with me so that forest maze was never a problem for me even though it seems to have caused a lot of butthurt.

It's a shame they never put out any expansions for it :(

I hear that the bonus material just gives you all this overpowered shit?

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I just play IWD2 in HoF and something weird happened. My chars have too high AC. It's like they'd have a base AC of 30 instead of 10 and everything else gets added on top of that. What did I wrong? A bug?

bgillisp

Scholar
VentilatorOfDoom said:
jiujitsu said:

I'm playing the game right now without crashing problems, so it's safe to assume that your comp is to blame. It's even safer to assume that you're to blame for not being able to run the config program and switch to OpenGL, which should fix most problems in IWD2. Also, the game is not about "delicious lores", but about defeating hordes after hordes after hordes of enemies. If you don't like that, there's a more recent game by the same bros where you can play dialogue-minigames and shit, the name was Alphaturd iirc.

I wish I had known this 7 years ago when I last tried to play IWD2. I hit a CTD bug in act 2 whenever an NCP that I had to talk to woke up, and I had an Nvida card then. Maybe its time to dust out the old CD's again and give it another try?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom