Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Leonard Boyarsky and the PA game

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Leonard Boyarsky; Troika Games

<a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx>DAC</a> has scored an <a href=http://www.duckandcover.cx/content.php?id=63>interview</a> with Leonard Boyarsky of <a href=http://www.troikagames.com>Troika</a>'s fame.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>On the subject of Fallout 3, how do you feel about Bethesda getting the license, and what direction do you see them taking the series?</b>
<br>
<br>
To be perfectly honest, I was extremely disappointed that we did not get the chance to make the next Fallout game. This has nothing to do with Bethesda, it’s just that we’ve always felt that Fallout was ours and it was just a technicality that Interplay happened to own it. It sort of felt as if our child had been sold to the highest bidder, and we had to just sit by and watch. As far as where they will take it, you’d have to ask them that. Since I have absolutely no idea what their plans are, I can’t comment on whether I think they’re going in the right direction with it or not.
<br>
<br>
<br>
There’s been a lot of debate since I said that we were considering real time with pause over turn based so that we could get this game made. The fact of the matter is that we’re not self funded, we rely solely on publishers to fund our projects. <u>Most publishers have flat out told us that they will not be funding any turn based games, and are not even interested in discussing them.</u> If we can’t sell a Troika post apocalyptic RPG to a publisher, it will never get made, it’s as simple as that.</blockquote>It's always sad when creativity is restricted by clueless morons. I don't mean only games that Troika would want to work on, but also Jefferson, Van Buren, and any other good games that were never made.
<br>
<br>
<br>

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
That IS awfully sad. I just hope that the cicular nature of the industry comes 'round again to turn-based games in a few years.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Don't lose hope. Some publisher may give them the creative breathing room they need to deliver an excellent game.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
I'm glad you like the interview. Leonard gave very good answers and came across as being genuine, unlike a lot of the PR spin seen in a lot of developer interviews.
Now somehow they've got to get a publisher.

Reklar

Liturgist
I always wondered if Troika felt a strong attachment to Fallout and now I can see they do and are even more disappointed than the fans. I'm glad they're sticking to their guns on PA cRPGs though as I'd hate to see them push out something they didn't have their heart in. It really shows when a developer cares about their project and when it's just something to pay the bills.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Well, it's interesting to know that they got a few calls just from the screens. I kinda feel bad for them, cause they seem to really feel passionate about making games, but they always end up with shit deals somehow or another.

FrankHorrigan

Liturgist
Note to other gaming sites and game developers: That is how an interview is supposed to work(as opposed to a multi page advert)

almondblight

Arcane
I like how he didn't bullshit us with the turn-based to real time decision. Most interviews would have went, "we believe that real time is a much better fit for this game, if we thought turn based was better, we would have done it. Trust us, we know what we're doing, but the combat will be just as tactical as turn based without the downsides." Of course, if they make it real time, I'll still be disappointed. But I give him respect for not bullshitting us.

And the fact that he's one of the few that doesn't disparage Fallout fans but actually appreciates them. And willing to admit the flaws in past games (not "we really surprised ourselves with how great Arcanum was, and then we topped that with ToEE").

Hopefully they'll get a good publisher though.

Ghetto Goose

Novice
Lets hope they can make it, though it pains me to say this, like FoT. Only in the way that you have the option of having TB on or not. Also in some way, make the TB option less shitty than FoT had it.

The only reason for this is to appease the publisher. Beyond that, I wish it were just turn based.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Screw the post-apoc setting, they should do a game set on Mars. There's Metalheart, the Fall, and FO3 coming out - how many Mars games are scheduled for release?

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
EEVIAC said:
Screw the post-apoc setting, they should do a game set on Mars. There's Metalheart, the Fall, and FO3 coming out - how many Mars games are scheduled for release?

Would you consider Doom 3 a contradiction to your statement, a reason for it, or not consider it at all since it isn't an rpg?

You didn't specify rpg so..

EEVIAC

Erudite
Until you mentioned it, I didn't even think of Doom 3. It was more of a monster game than a Mars/space game. The setting was interchangable - it could have been set on an asteroid, a mining vessel in deep space, or even an Earth facility. The interaction on the planetary surface was minimal.

Mars offers alot of the same dynamics as a post-apoc game does. It has similar environmental hazards. There's probably limited development so most towns/colonies are struggling, which negates having to populate huge areas with NPC's to make them believable. It also gives the same frontier/wild-west feel.

Furthermore, if Leon's talking about making a "spiritual successor" to Fallout, it doesn't really need to have anything to do with Fallout. Take the GEE WHIZ! fifties angle and apply it to space colonization. Except the reality isn't a green Mars with glass cities and space cars, but a tough frontier life met with predjudice from Earth. If they really need a post-apoc reference, wipe out the Earth in a nuclear war, and strand the colonists on Mars, never to return home.

Surlent

Liturgist
^--That actually sounds interesting idea for RPG. :thumbs up:
Succesful scifi RPG would be something that hasn't been seen for awhile.
Without bodyimplants/freak stuff, bizarre aliens and secret government projects/experiments ofcourse, that would be sound idea.

The interview with Leonard was cool. It's good for Troika, their publishers and customers they try to learn from their previous projects.

Real time with pause isn't that bad, you cut a lot of simple actions out and get to concentrate on the important decisions of the battle and watch the animations.

I hope they would rather go for spiritual successor of Arcanum though.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
For starters: Leon fucking rocks. As others have said it is so refreshing to see honesty in an interview not to mention that he and Troika *agree* with the fans on the complaints re. the last two games as well as knowing what we all loved about them. And can anyone point to anyone else saying that they actuallly liked we rabid FO fans as opposed to the sarcastic tirades that get posted? The people who work at Troika are a large part of why I am such a fanboi of theirs. Make no mistake I love their games, despite each having some *glaring* flaws, but who they are and how they think about their games is as important to me.

Am I mistaken or is this now essentially the third engine they have developed? They must be iterative in some sense, but nevertheless the dev time that sucks up is unfortunate as it takes time away from developing the rest of the actual game content.

And did Arcanum and ToEE really sell that badly as to warrant the outright dismissal of tb by publishers? I know they weren't blockbusters, but still...

I don't have a lot of hope that they will be able to pull off a PA tb game, but even Troika's compromised or flawed attempts are good games and far better than so many ( I daresay most?) games out there. They get my money if for no other reason (and there are plenty of other reasons) than the hope that my contribution to their coffers will some day allow them to make the game they and we all want - that Arcanum/TOEE blend preferably in a sci-fi or PA setting (tho I would love to see an Arcanum game set in the 20s or 30s).

I know it is not Bethesda's fault, but I can't help but feel a little pissed at them for getting the FO license when Troika clearly loves it so much and really feels an attachment to it and protective of it.

DAC - great interview thanks.

edit: just read the added portions of the interview (added 8.28.04) so I retract my question re. ToEE sales as no one seems to know. And another big huge for Leonrad cuz of this:
(on making a Mature vs a Teen rated game): "The only thing that would really suck about having to do a teen game is that we?d have to lose the gory deaths. I don?t know if I can live with that. "

Araanor

Liturgist
Crazy Tuvok said:
And did Arcanum and ToEE really sell that badly as to warrant the outright dismissal of tb by publishers? I know they weren't blockbusters, but still...
They sold fairly. The problem is that the publishers are thinking DIABLO! NEVERWINTER NIGHTS!

Whipporowill

Erudite
How'd you guys want the party system for the PA game? Me, I'm a fan of single-char with ai controlled partymembers. Don't feel like the "build your own party route" as that sort of seems to go the way of dungeon romps (IWD, TOEE).

I don't think I'll be that upset with Troika going RT actually - since they:

a) won't be making a fast-paced arpg a la Diablo (or at least I can't see that happening)

b) won't be bogged down with D&D RT placeholder rules like the 6 second delay

Maybe (just maybe) they'll actually be able to do something interesting with it. I'm a TB head, make no misstake... but decisions on buying games are not taken on that alone. At least not for me.

Also, worth stating. Troika's had a fair share of fan-sites (Terra Arcanum, Troika Chronicles, Troika Connection and Eye on Troika) which is rather interesting considering... how many has BIS had? Maybe I'm just uninformed?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Regarding ToEE sales, if you look at the Leon answer, the first part looks like the real answer. I hate to read between the lines, but really, there is no reason to say that unless the game did well. Not BG2-well, but well nonetheless.

Do you have the numbers for how ToEE sold? It's been a debate on a few forums recently and no one's actually been able to find out.

Though I’d like to, we’re contractually not allowed to disclose those numbers, sorry.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
jiujitsu said:
EEVIAC said:

Would you consider Doom 3 a contradiction to your statement, a reason for it, or not consider it at all since it isn't an rpg?

You didn't specify rpg so..

Martian Gothic: Unification also was set on Mars. Not a bad game, too.

Crazy Tuvok

Liturgist
The build your own party thing can be cool, I like being able to try out all the different skillsets/classes whatever, but generally I favor the single char and if a "party" at all, AI controlled. Surprise, surprise I think FO had the perfect party system. Whatever they do DO NOT DO INVENTORY FOR NPCS LIKE TOEE!!!! By all that is, please please please.

AI NPC just seems more immersive to me - as if they are their own person not my puppet. And I think this system is pretty well smoothed out. With the exception of the aforementioned inventory thing (weirdly a step backwards from Arcanum) it has worked well in the FO games and in Arcanum. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how well the AI controlled mages in my party did in Arcanum - actually casting the spells I wanted them to/that made sense (ok except for Virgil trying to heal my high-tech and therefore magic resistant char so often that Virgil usually fell uncosncious from the effort, awoke and tried again).

You are right the placeholder DnD stuff won't be a hindrance in an orginal IP system. But I still do not see how ranged combat can be done effectively in RT not to mention area effect weps like grenades. I offer no insight in exposing this but it bears repeating.

Vault Dweller

Developer
EEVIAC said:
Except the reality isn't a green Mars with glass cities and space cars, but a tough frontier life met with predjudice from Earth.
Love the Mars idea, Earth predjudice is a very nice touch.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Regarding ToEE sales, if you look at the Leon answer, the first part looks like the real answer. I hate to read between the lines, but really, there is no reason to say that unless the game did well. Not BG2-well, but well nonetheless.

Do you have the numbers for how ToEE sold? It's been a debate on a few forums recently and no one's actually been able to find out.

Though I’d like to, we’re contractually not allowed to disclose those numbers, sorry.

You mean that if it sold terribly, the publisher wouldn't care if he talked about sales figures?

mathboy

Liturgist
I don't think Leonard would have liked to tell us the sale figures either if they were bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom