Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avadon: The Black Fortress Info Package

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p>First of all, Jeff Vogel updated his <strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong> Developer Diary, discussing the different classes. Excerpt:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Blademaster</strong></p>
<blockquote>"A blademaster is a true warrior. He is most comfortable in a massive suit of plate armor, wielding a sword and shield or a huge halberd, striding boldly into a crowd of foes and sending them flying with mighty blows. Blademasters are not subtle."</blockquote>
<p>I've tried to stay away from some elements of the standard RPG archetypal class roles: the healer, the crowd control guy, the DPS, etc. But I do like tanks. I like the feeling of having big beefy warriors who stand tall and bear the brunt of the enemy attacks while the other characters stay back and do awesome things. It's not necessary to have a tank in Avadon, but it is a cool option for those who want it.<br /> <br /> Blademasters can also stun foes if you get overwhelmed, and they do have the ability to heal themselves. Though they are tanks, I gave them the ability to stun and fling around foes as well to give playing them some variety.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/11/avadon-developer-diary-4-character.html" target="_blank">Read the whole entry here.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Secondly Inside Mac Games <a href="http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=553" target="_blank">provide a brief interview</a> with Jeff:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>FP: And last, but not least, what major changes are there between Avernum and Avadon on the combat side?</strong></p>
<p>JV: Oh, it's very very different. It's a class-based system, where each class has its own suite of abilities. There is very little healing, and each ability can only be used every few turns, which means you have to use lots of different powers. Because of these changes, combat works very differently. I'm hoping for an experience with a lot of variety and "What power should I be using now?" tactical thought.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100317-avadon-the-black-fortress-developer-diary-4-and-qaa.html">GB</a></p>

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
And, to be honest, whenever I need to design something in one of my games, my first instinct is to do the thing I would most enjoy if I was playing. That is a compass that has almost never led me astray. And so, when I had the idea of fitting a ninja-type into the world, I was, like, "Yeah! Cool!" It's neat, and it adds a little bit of silliness to a world that sometimes threatened to be dark and serious.

Also, when I write a game, I try to include some elements that appeal to young, energetic fans.
=/

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
"A blademaster is a true warrior. He is most comfortable in a massive suit of plate armor, wielding a sword and shield or a huge halberd, striding boldly into a crowd of foes and sending them flying with mighty blows. Blademasters are not subtle."
Good fucking God, why?

Blackula

Educated
And, to be honest, whenever I need to design something in one of my games, my first instinct is to do the thing I would most enjoy if I was playing. That is a compass that has almost never led me astray. And so, when I had the idea of fitting a ninja-type into the world, I was, like, "Yeah! Cool!" It's neat, and it adds a little bit of silliness to a world that sometimes threatened to be dark and serious.
But... I thought Vogel was aiming for a grimdark masterpiece of bioturd proportions :(

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wizardy had fairy ninjas and samurai and wookies and spaceships and I don't see any of you complaining.

Dyskolos

Cipher
I'm just happy the portraits don't look as bad as avernum's so that I'll have to tape an index card to the screen to block them out again.

betamin

Learned
Dyskolos said:
I'm just happy the portraits don't look as bad as avernum's so that I'll have to tape an index card to the screen to block them out again.

Chefe

Erudite
Why does the world have to be tiled in squares? Civ5 moved to hexagons. Come on, Vogel! Join the future! The vary least he could do it vary the tiles so they look more organic like like Eschalon made an attempt to do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm having difficulty reconciling "I've tried to stay away from some elements of the standard RPG archetypal class roles" with what are pretty much a fighter, rogue, druid, and mage. I know it's not easy coming up with truly original classes, but still, what a silly sentence.

CraigCWB

Educated
There were already too many classes and sub-classes in AD&D way back in 1980. Why does everyone feel it necessary to re-invent the wheel just to crate confusing arbitrary distinctions between "their" character classes, and everyone else's?

"A blademaster is a true warrior. He is most comfortable in a massive suit of plate armor, wielding a sword and shield or a huge halberd, striding boldly into a crowd of foes and sending them flying with mighty blows. Blademasters are not subtle."

= "Fighter", circa 1973

Blademaster sounds more like a title than a character class. How does one become a master of anything at level one or whenever the big drama forces them to leave mommies basement and begin their quest to save the world from evil incarnate?

I've tried to stay away from some elements of the standard RPG archetypal class roles: the healer, the crowd control guy, the DPS, etc.

I was gonna say that none of those are archetypal class roles except "healer" but that's not even an archetypal class role. However, at least "healer" is something people thought their clerics were supposed to be. DPS and Crowd Control come from post-Kunark Everquest , circa 2000. There used to be another one that was abslutely mandatory (as those two were) and that's "slower" or "anti-DPS". Nobody got far in high level EQ without that.

And I'd note these were only critical in EQ (and not in subsequent RPGs) because the critters in EQ were a hell of a lot tougher than the players were. In other games besides EQ these terms are pretty much meaningless, as the "roles" are entirely optional.

But I do like tanks.

He means "Fighters", circa 1973.

I like the feeling of having big beefy warriors who stand tall and bear the brunt of the enemy attacks while the other characters stay back and do awesome things.

He means "Fighters", circa 1973.

I agree "Fighter" is a kinda dumb sounding name. Can we get a petition going to rename it to "Warrior" or something, at least? Every PC gamer on the planet loads up a new game and immediately figures out which classes are equivalent to the old D&D classes, so why not save everyone the annoyance factor of having to say some BS placeholder for "fighter", and "rogue", and "cleric" and "assassin" and "druid" and "barbarian" and so on?

"Oh, I'm a Shadow Dancer! Look at me!"

Bleh

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Too bad he doesn't bother to educate himself on real fighters and copies D&D/MMORPG bullshit.

Ninjas are nothing new in Vogel land, they were all over the place in previous games even if they weren't described as such. That said, the guy obviously lost his mind.

Just edit the files and turn them into tits

I am not writing him off just yet. His combat model has always been a little on the simple side, especially for fighters, so I will give the demo a good shot when it comes out.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Someone already pointed this out in the comments on his blog but

He says this
I've tried to stay away from some elements of the standard RPG archetypal class roles:

And then makes what sound like exact copies of WOW's Warrior, Rogue, Shaman and Mage classes...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
JarlFrank said:
I haven't played any RPGs for at least 20 years so I believe that my classes are unique and different.
Where have you been? He is in touch with current CRPG's. He was playing ME2 earlier this year :smug:

7hm

Scholar
PorkaMorka said:
Someone already pointed this out in the comments on his blog but

He says this
I've tried to stay away from some elements of the standard RPG archetypal class roles:

And then makes what sound like exact copies of WOW's Warrior, Rogue, Shaman and Mage classes...

Pretty much this. I like Vogel's games though. So I'll play this one anyway.

They ain't all gems but at worst they're still no Oblivion.

visions

Arcane
Scrooge said:
I wonder how he came up with "Shadow Dancer"? Sounds pretty cool. If you're a 14 year old goth kid.

Ffs it's just a "fancy" name for a fucking rogue/assassin class. And frankly I don't think that some guy with a fucking anthropomorphic mutt as his avatar is in much of a position to make edgy remarks about a class named "shadow dancer" being so totally uncool, because, well yeah you get the fucking point. Neither anthropomorphic mutts nor "shadow dancers" would exactly qualify as cool for the average person. Nor rpgs for the matter.

Deneidez

Educated
visions said:
Scrooge said:
I wonder how he came up with "Shadow Dancer"? Sounds pretty cool. If you're a 14 year old goth kid.

Ffs it's just a "fancy" name for a fucking rogue/assassin class. And frankly I don't think that some guy with a fucking anthropomorphic mutt as his avatar is in much of a position to make edgy remarks about a class named "shadow dancer" being so totally uncool, because, well yeah you get the fucking point. Neither anthropomorphic mutts nor "shadow dancers" would exactly qualify as cool for the average person. Nor rpgs for the matter.
It would be ok, if shadow dancer would be elven assassin... or ninja! Uh... Oh...

458135-shadow_dancer_large.jpg

:decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom