Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Platter's Torment fixpack updated

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Planescape: Torment

All-around cool dude <b>Platter</b> informs us that his excellent <a href=http://www.accesswave.ca/~cthorpe/>Planescape: Torment fix pack</a> has been updated. It's now at 1.37. Here's the new fixes. Some potential spoilers in here, but hey, anyone who hasn't play PS:T by now should die.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Some of the random banters between party members would not happen because of a bug in their triggers.
<br>
The Alley of Lingering Sighs was supposed to open up once you reached the Lower Ward, so you could go directly from the Alley to the Lower Ward if you ever went back there.
<br>
If you had any Magic Resistance while copying the Circles of Zerthimon to your spell book the copying would have a chance to fail equal to your Magic Resistance percentage.
<br>
You couldn't initiate dialog with half of the shoppers in the Lower Ward Marketplace.
<br>
Mortai Gravesend had Emoric's script assigned to him, so the floating text that would occasionally appear above him was wrong.
<br>
The "Tattoo of Grosuk's Demise" wasn't available at Fell's shop if you killed Grosuk for Sebastion.
<br>
Vrischika's combat script would be halted if Standish was killed before she could cast Improved Strength on him.
<br>
You couldn't ask Grace about Vhailor when talking to her about your companions.
<br>
The "Blade of the Immortal" was supposed to be Enchanted: +1, but it was not Enchanted at all.
<br>
Changed the To Hit bonus given by "Ravel's Fingernail" from +1 to +2, to match its description.
<br>
The "Teeth of the Fire Drake" didn't do any Fire Damage as its description claimed.
<br>
Changed the AC bonus given by "Mark of the Savant" from +3 to +2, to match its description.
<br>
Changed the Strength bonus given by "Heaven and Earth" from +3 to +2, to match its description.
<br>
The "Kaleidoscopic Eye" didn't give an extra +1 Save vs. Spells bonus.
<br>
The "Dustman Earring's" Cold and Magical Cold Resistance bonuses did not work.
<br>
Minor bug where the Guard in the Curst Barracks wouldn't finish his joke about "the monkey, the squirrel and the pouch of magic beans."
<br>
Barking-Wilder was supposed to give you a special item if you had a "Cranium Rat Tail" when you asked him "Can I see what items the Chaosmen sell to their members?" while being a member of the Chaosmen.
<br>
When the skeleton-like Shadows in Ravel's Maze attacked it would drain their own strength instead of their target's strength.
<br>
Corvus experience loop.
<br>
If you caught Yellow-Fingers stealing from you and Morte was in your party there was a certain dialog path that could lead into Sharegrave's dialog, messing up the quest to find the source of Pharod's bodies for him.
<br>
The comments Annah and Grace make when you first enter Fell's Tattoo Parlor with them no longer happen if they are dead.
<br>
There was a bug preventing you from being able to ask Nordom to make "Winged Bolts."
<br>
When you asked Creeden about the Hive and then what's of interest and then if he's seen a journal he would respond as if you had asked him about Pharod.
<br>
When asking Able about the Lady of Pain you could only get the option "Continue to listen" if you were a Thief at the time.
<br>
In one part of Thildon's dialog it was possible to mention the murder of the Foundry smith before it had happened.
<br>
If you returned Marissa's "Crimson Veil" to her and asked for a reward the dialog indicated that you got a "Gold Bracelet," but you didn't because of a typo in the action.
<br>
The "Ice Knife" spell caused a permanent decrease in To Hit when a party member was hit by it which lasted until the character was killed and resurrected. This fix prevents the To Hit effect of "Ice Knife" from working on your party at all.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Good stuff, Platter!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Any idea if it works for other language versions of the game? As I see it, after putting the *.dlg into override folder I'd just get some English dialogues, right?

Spazmo

Erudite
Yeah? Took me three tries because the combat in the later bits gets to be a drag (the Curst Prison, mainly), but I finished it. I'm replaying PST right now, as a matter of fact.

Platter

Educated
Elwro said:
Any idea if it works for other language versions of the game? As I see it, after putting the *.dlg into override folder I'd just get some English dialogues, right?
It is compatible with non-English versions. DLG files contain everything about a dialog except the text. All text in the game is in Dialog.tlk, and DLG files refer to entries in this file.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
The Curst prison is somewhat tricky at times. I basically take Annah with me and switch to a Thief, then both of us perform sneak attacks and lure enemies into the fighter-types in the back.

Reklar

Liturgist
Platter said:
Elwro said:
It is compatible with non-English versions. DLG files contain everything about a dialog except the text. All text in the game is in Dialog.tlk, and DLG files refer to entries in this file.

That sounds like a really smart way to handle a dialog system that's ready-made for international release. It would be interesting to know if other games use this design or if it's PS:T specific. My only other question is do I need to apply another patch in addition to this fix-pack, or does it include whatever official patches exist?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Psilon

Erudite
No, BioWare's used it in the base Infinity Engine, and NWN uses a similar system. It's good for patching, but bad for hacking. Did they ever get module-specific string table customizations into NWN?

Platter

Educated
Reklar said:
My only other question is do I need to apply another patch in addition to this fix-pack, or does it include whatever official patches exist?
The Fix Pack readme said:
NOTE: If you have the four CD version of Torment, make sure you have the official 1.1 patch installed before installing this Fix Pack. Applying the official patch after installing this Fix Pack can overwrite some of these files. Don't apply the official 1.1 patch to the two CD version of Torment. This version has already been patched, and patching it can cause major problems.

Reklar

Liturgist
Platter said:
Reklar said:
My only other question is do I need to apply another patch in addition to this fix-pack, or does it include whatever official patches exist?
The Fix Pack readme said:
NOTE: If you have the four CD version of Torment, make sure you have the official 1.1 patch installed before installing this Fix Pack. Applying the official patch after installing this Fix Pack can overwrite some of these files. Don't apply the official 1.1 patch to the two CD version of Torment. This version has already been patched, and patching it can cause major problems.

Thanks for the heads-up, Platter! I'll have to double check whether or not I have the v1.1 patch, but I'm glad to see you fixing so many bugs that otherwise went unaddressed. It makes me sad to see so many games require gameplay critical patches anymore, especially when they can cripple a game that would otherwise be very enjoyable.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Kizmiaz

Novice
Interplay released a RPG-chest with Baldurs Gate, Fallout 2 and PS:T, if I recall correctly. I suppose that one should be available in the bargain bin at the stores.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom