Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Chris Avellone, Game Designer

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Something awesome happened, for the very first time <a href="http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/feature-interview-chris-avellone-game-designer-fallout-new-vegas/" target="_blank">someone interviewed</a> Codex' favorite cRPG developer <em>Magnificent Chris Avellone</em> and asked him about his lifestory.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>The story of your rise from humble teenage dungeonmaster to one of the most respected writers in the history of video games has become something of industry lore. What other early experiences do you think shaped you as a writer and guided you to the path you&rsquo;re on&nbsp;now?</strong></p>
<p><strong> </strong></p>
<p><span class="dquo">&ldquo;</span>Respect&rdquo; and &ldquo;dungeonmaster&rdquo; are two words I never thought I&rsquo;d see in the same sentence in any publication, so your question has fulfilled one of my lifetime goals. As for respect, you&rsquo;re usually being reviled by either your players (even as they ask when the next session is going to be, sometimes with veiled threats) or the community at large in high school, college, or in the working world, and your dating pool slowly and surely shrinks to the radius of a Lilliputian dime.</p>
<p>The early inspirations aren&rsquo;t terribly praise-worthy. They were the twin muses of loneliness and starvation. Aside from being lonely, the biggest motivation was <em>not</em> having enough people willing to gamemaster a game in my neighborhood; everyone was always up for playing role-playing games, no one would ever <em>run </em>a game, however.</p>
<p>Adding insult to injury, sometimes players wouldn&rsquo;t stop at not running games, they couldn&rsquo;t even be bothered to flesh out their disadvantages for their character build so I had to wing those. Guess what? They didn&rsquo;t like that. Guess what? Finish your character sheets next time and maybe you won&rsquo;t be attacked by multiple Mysterious Hunteds at once, Captain Lazyass.</p>
<p>In short, I was a starving artist in the sense that I was starved for playing RPGs. If I wanted a fix, I had to run game sessions myself-drawing the maps, setting up the cinematics (we had opening vignettes to set the stage), detailing out the characters, and sometimes even drawing the characters (superhero RPGs). Oh, and all the accounting work that came after each session to dole out Experience Points.</p>
<p>Still, here&rsquo;s why I advocate gamemastering as a training tool for game designers: one, you get immediate, direct feedback as to why your adventure sucks and why your players aren&rsquo;t having fun. Two, you have to start training yourself to be prepared for any direction your players might end up taking (which is a lot like normal computer game development). Third, you start training yourself to pay attention to each character&rsquo;s build, motivation for playing, and their skill sets. And you begin to look for ways to make them shine during the adventure, which again translates directly into game development (and it&rsquo;s one of the things that <em>Fallout</em> does really well).</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And another tidbit, on everyone's favorite Sith-Lord:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Tell us about your approach to creating characters. Do you take inspiration from life, or other media? How do you build quests organically from the characters you create?</strong></p>
<p><strong> </strong></p>
<p>When I design characters, I usually approach it in the following way (I&rsquo;ll use Kreia in <em>Knights of the Old Republic <span class="caps">II</span></em> for this example).</p>
<p>&ndash;Examine their role in the story. Kreia in <em><span class="caps">KOTORII</span></em> serves multiple purposes: companion, foil, and a means of acting as a sounding board for the game theme (the role of the Jedi and the nature of the Force in a living galaxy).</p>
<p>&ndash;Name them properly. This is more important than it may seem. Kreia, for example, was consciously intended as a twist on Leia with a harsher prefix-she basically acts as an ally as Leia does in <em>Star Wars</em>, but her life before she met you was&hellip;well&hellip;brutal.</p>
<p>&ndash;Set up a visual signature for the character with the concept artist. Kreia blends elements of the wise mentor (Obi-Wan&rsquo;s robe) mixed with the Dark Side elements (Palpatine&rsquo;s hood design).</p>
<p>&ndash;The character must be someone who can give voice to shit that bothers me or is something I really, really want to write about. Kreia is my mouthpiece for everything I hate about the Force, and then I let her&nbsp;rant.</p>
<p>Note that character designs all depend on the character&rsquo;s function. Sometimes having a one-note or zero-note character is important to help show the contrast of a more important character in the same environment-and sometimes, a merchant should just be a merchant. At other times, you&rsquo;ll want an <span class="caps">NPC</span> to showcase a particular aspect of the world&hellip;for example, in <em>Fallout 3</em> in Megaton, the character of Nathan is clearly set up to portray how the common people of <em>Fallout</em> might fall under sway of President Eden&rsquo;s propaganda, and that&rsquo;s part of Nathan&rsquo;s role in the&nbsp;story.</p>
<p>Overall, I prefer having a smaller cast and finding ways to ditch one-note or zero-note characters and just make the smaller cast more reactive (like in <em>Alpha Brotocol</em>).</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100293-chris-avellone-interview.html">GB</a></p>

Exmit

Scholar
picture20016.jpg

MetalCraze

Arcane
Exmit said:

Hello guys I'm Chris Avellone I want to tell you that AP in fact sucked and wasn't the game we wanted it to be now that it didn't sell well.
P.S. this pic was photoshopped by evil Sega to sell AP

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Really good interview by the way. While we've heard some of the stuff before, there are some really interesting tidbits of MCA info in there.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
serch said:
Lockkaliber said:
Really good interview by the way. While we've heard some of the stuff before, there are some really interesting tidbits of MCA info in there that may facilitate my stalking GOBBLEGLURPSLURPGOBLE.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
What were the highlights of the development process of New Vegas?
–Getting to meet Felicia Day and getting my Guild DVD signed. And listening to her talk about killing bunnies in Red Dead Redemption.
Sorry, codexers, I know most of us are gay for Avellone, but he's obviously more interested in Felicia Day than in any of us.

I wonder though if his flirting techniques are working. He obviously wrote the role of Cass thinking of her. And the results was a shitton of pecker jokes. Are women attracted by this sort of humor? Any woman here can confirm?

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Ogg said:
–Getting to meet Felicia Day and getting my Guild DVD signed. And listening to her talk about killing bunnies in Red Dead Redemption.
Sorry, codexers, I know most of us are gay for Avellone, but he's obviously more interested in Felicia Day than in any of us.

I wonder though if his flirting techniques are working. He obviously wrote the role of Cass thinking of her. And the results was a shitton of pecker jokes. Are women attracted by this sort of humor? Any woman here can confirm?

To continue with our report, we turn to resident Codex female SMA. SMA, what answer do you have for the young man's question?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ogg said:
:x

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I kinda defended Alpha Brotocol at first but now I pretty much think it's not a bro's game and is shit. New Vegas tho is cool, so MCA saves face again and is still a bro
:mca:

Seriously, with the conditions that the industry is in, I'm not sure why you'd expect him to produce anything that's really up to "our standards", so to speak. And MCA was never that much of a good designer to begin with or anything like that, his merit comes from the fact that he's the only guy who has the wit and education to communicate something worthwhile in a sea of brain-dead assholes with computer science degrees. It's like a good writer writing for TV sitcoms - his writing is probably not enough to write good litterature, but it's still above what usually you see in TV sitcoms, and if he has the opportunity (good actors, producers that accepts the idea, etc) to pull off his ideas in the medium it'll be something good - but it'll still be a TV sitcom (in other words, popular media ; I attribute something pejorative with the word "popular" by default, mind you). The fact that Torment ever came out was a big fluke to big with - and its merit are purely from a storyfag point of view. Shitting on MCA is probably missing the point entirely, although making him a design god is also missing the point, I guess.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
He's still dreamy no matter what though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom