Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age: Origins Art Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<p>Pixologic <a href="http://www.pixologic.com/interview/dragon-age/1/" target="_blank">jumped at the opportunity</a> to discuss the making of the amazing characters and creatures of <strong>Dragon Age: Origins</strong> with the responsible BioArtists.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong><span class="featureQues">The Architect has to be one of my favorite creature models ever. Could you talk about his inspiration and creation?</span></strong> <br /> <br /> <span class="featureArtist">Shane Hawco &ndash; Lead Character Artist<br /></span> The Architect was a full collaboration between the design team on Awakening and the character artists. We aimed at not just creating a visual threat but also touching on his sadistic personality which physically masks his grotesqueness. Jae Kuem was the artist responsible for not only modeling him in such great detail but also coming up with the concept art. The whole team was inspired to carry forward his art style into the other minions of the Architect: the Disciples and the Armored Ogre.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong><span class="featureQues">How long did it take to create the Architect? How many polygons did he hit? Did he pose any unique challenges, and if so how did you overcome them?</span></strong><br /> <br /> <span class="featureArtist">Jae Keum &ndash; Character Artist<br /></span> He took almost a month to create from the concept art to the final 3D mesh and textures. The in-game mesh of the Architect is approximately 11,000 polygons. The most challenging thing was to show his personality and character through his appearance. He is highly intelligent, decisive, cold, manipulative and he has little understanding of humanity. When I made the concept art of the Architect I tried to find some inspirations from traditional art masters such as Francis Bacon. It helped me a lot when figuring out shape and details.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>One month for a single model. I guess that explains where all the effort in modern RPGs dissipates.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100207-dragon-age-origins-art-interview.html">GB</a></p>

CraigCWB

Educated
No wonder Bioware doesn't support modding of their games. How embarrassing would it be after spending a month per model to have some zitface 13 year old improve it in and re-skin it so it looks better and then upload it to the net the same day the game is released?

Time and time again I hear Bioware fans and Bioware staff talk about how they want the combat to be easy one-button mash-through so that they can quickly burn through it and 'get back to the story'.

Makes you wonder why the hell they aren't making adventure games. I mean, there's obviously a market - their own fans like them because their games have adventure elements. I suspect many of them would absolutely love it if Bioware either ditched the action, or minimalised it to the equivalent of PS:T's stuff minus the big-trash-combat zones (the underground, Undersigil, lower planes etc), while ramping up the story and adventure game side.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Architect looks like an emo fag. Also stupid name is stupid. Next incoming The Designer, which is merely a minion to the dreaded Publisher.

Project: Eternity
Shane Hawco – Lead Character Artist said:
We aimed at not just creating a visual threat but also touching on his sadistic personality which physically masks his grotesqueness.

Did he have one (a sadistic personality, not just any personality lol)? I played through Awakening once and didn't really get that at all.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Azrael the cat said:
Time and time again I hear Bioware fans and Bioware staff talk about how they want the combat to be easy one-button mash-through so that they can quickly burn through it and 'get back to the story'.

Makes you wonder why the hell they aren't making adventure games. I mean, there's obviously a market - their own fans like them because their games have adventure elements. I suspect many of them would absolutely love it if Bioware either ditched the action, or minimalised it to the equivalent of PS:T's stuff minus the big-trash-combat zones (the underground, Undersigil, lower planes etc), while ramping up the story and adventure game side.

I think adventure games are not the right things to compare Bioware games to as there's virtually no puzzles at all in Bioware games. Shit, in ancient times RPG's had puzzles that were as challenging as proper adventures in them, but Bio games?

What Bioware games should be compared to are rather those FMV games from the early 90's where a cutscene plays, then is followed by a shooter bit, then another cutscene etc. like Rebel Assault or Who Shot Johnny Rock. That's the kind of 'interactivity' the majority of Bioware fans want from their games.

denizsi

Arcane
Fitting self-quote:

denizsi said:
It was a decision made by the art department, to make the Architect a more visually impressive figure

This is it, guys. Japs are finally getting back at Kwa for the H-bomb. They've successfully penetrated western art direction with their JRPG emofag bullshit trends.

First came the huge shoulder pads.

Then huge swords.

Than emo faces.

Then Squirt Enix acquired Deus Ex IP.

And now this. In your revival western RPG game:

Architect1.jpg

awakening_header.png

63635_orig.jpg

HOW EDGY AND K-K-KOOL! I'M LIKE TOTALLY IMPRESSED. FUCK ME ARCHITECTURE; FUCK ME NOW!

Nxt-gen villains are all about fashion-statements, now.

Enjoy the fagdom!

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42862

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Azrael the cat said:
Makes you wonder why the hell they aren't making adventure games.
No, but it does make me wonder why they're not making interactive movies (and I don't mean Pandora Directive-style, I mean Critical Path-style). Or, more to the point, why the hell do they fill their games to the brim with loads and loads of filler combat against loads and loads of identical trash mobs?

waywardOne

Arcane
You see a darkening through the torrent of snow, forming into the opening of a cave as you approach nearer. While gathering sticks and moss to prepare a fire, you notice a large vertical crack near the back of the cave, perhaps large enough to squeeze through if you wished.

Do you

* continue building the fire and wait the storm out (turn to page 21)
* light a torch and go through the crack (turn to page 22)

Page 21

You hear the plaintive cries of a child through the crack...
The wind howls into the cave extinguishing your fire...
Giant panda bears have discovered you in their house...

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
denizsi said:
Fitting self-quote:

denizsi said:
It was a decision made by the art department, to make the Architect a more visually impressive figure

This is it, guys. Japs are finally getting back at Kwa for the H-bomb. They've successfully penetrated western art direction with their JRPG emofag bullshit trends.

First came the huge shoulder pads.

Then huge swords.

Than emo faces.

Then Squirt Enix acquired Deus Ex IP.

And now this. In your revival western RPG game:

Architect1.jpg

awakening_header.png

63635_orig.jpg

HOW EDGY AND K-K-KOOL! I'M LIKE TOTALLY IMPRESSED. FUCK ME ARCHITECTURE; FUCK ME NOW!

Nxt-gen villains are all about fashion-statements, now.

Enjoy the fagdom!

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=42862
Oh, man

:x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom