Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age II Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Games On Net <a href="http://games.on.net/article/10519/Interview_Dragon_Age_2" target="_blank">interviewed</a> Dragon Age 2 associate producer Heather Rabatich about all the improvements we can expect to see in <strong>Dragon Age 2</strong>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>They changed the art direction:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>games.on.net:</strong> Let&rsquo;s talk about the upgraded art style. Why the change in art direction this time around?<br /> <br /> <strong>Heather Rabatich</strong>: Well, we wanted Dragon Age 2 to stand out from the generic fantasy genre. Origins was a very specific type of fantasy game and Dragon Age 2 isn&rsquo;t that type of fantasy game, it still has a lot of the carry over, but we don&rsquo;t want it to get lost in that mix. This is a very specific type of game and we wanted to give it that cleaner updated look. So we still have these beautiful cities and vast landscapes and we haven&rsquo;t departed completely from it, but if you look at a screen shot you&rsquo;ll know its Dragon Age 2. It&rsquo;s actually an ever growing market, half the games out there right now seem to be fantasy and I think our style is now setting us apart from that, it matches the combat, it matches the new type of story we&rsquo;re doing.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>This game is a ... very specific type of game, you know, like, very specific with landscapes and cities and shit. Thanks for the info, Heather!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>They're going to improve accessibility:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>games.on.net:</strong> And how do you make it more accessible?<br /> <br /> <strong>Heather Rabatich</strong>: Well, you press a button and something cool happens! There&rsquo;s like a cause and effect, its happening before your eyes, you&rsquo;re not having to pause and set up a scene if you don&rsquo;t want to, and you&rsquo;re not getting annihilated if you don&rsquo;t play that way. So the pause, and the tactics, and and strategy is there, and you might not even realise you&rsquo;re being strategic initially, but after a while you start seeing how cool it is when you combine abilities and party members specialties, and you&rsquo;ve got everybody fighting together and its interesting to be able to jump between the characters, and I just think its still a strategic game, but we have sort of made it a little lighter in the sense that you can just pick it up and play it and know what to do. It&rsquo;s a very satisfying combat system for both types of player.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Causality - cause and effect. But wait, here comes the single biggest improvement:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>games.on.net:</strong> From your personal opinion, what is the single biggest improvement between the two?<br /> <br /> <strong>Heather Rabatich</strong>: There&rsquo;s so much I liked about the first game, but personally, for me combat-wise, that is a big thing for me because I&rsquo;m tactical to a certain degree but then sometimes I just button-mash my way through, I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don&rsquo;t always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it. And it really depends on where I&rsquo;m at in the gameplay, so I like this type of combat, I feel like its faster and the pace is faster so I would say that for me that&rsquo;s one of the things that, as someone who&rsquo;s playing the game everyday, watching the combat improve and seeing how the game is changing in that way has, for me, been a very satisfying experience.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Seems Ol' Pete proved himself a true visionary once again because he recognized the significance of one-button-mashing combat goodness years before BioWare and CDProjekt caught up with the trend.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100194-dragon-age-ii-interview.html">GB</a></p>

ChristofferC

Magister
It's mindless button mashing... but it is strategic if you want to.... but let me tell you the best improvement is that it's mindless button mashing...

I don't know what to think.

bloodlover

Arcane
ChristofferC said:
It's mindless button mashing... but it is strategic if you want to.... but let me tell you the best improvement is that it's mindless button mashing...

This + "I think it will be about the length of Mass Effect 2. " Imo ME 2 was too short for this genre.

From what I read here the combat will still suck, the amount of unnecessary gore is still there etc. :x

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Sounds like a complete shit. I don't get it, wasn't DA one their top-selling games, outselling ME2? I mean, its so bad its almost ridiculous.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
ChristofferC said:

Don't you worry about that, you don't need to think at all!

Apparently...

zeitgeist

Magister
Irxy said:
Sounds like a complete shit. I don't get it, wasn't DA one their top-selling games, outselling ME2? I mean, its so bad its almost ridiculous.
Step 1: market a game as a "Baldur's Gate spiritual sequel" (of course is isn't actually one, but if you repeat it long enough, the masses will believe it), to create a fanbase around it. Suddenly you have captured this entire market segment that wants somewhat more complex games than the usual console shooters, and they become fans of your company and your franchise and they will buy the sequels no matter what.

Step 2: make a game that's basically the same as all the other games your company is making. Everyone still buys it because they believe into the hype, they are fans of the franchise, and they define themselves as "oldschool hardcore RPG gamers" or whichever marketing term the company has assigned to them. Sure, some complain a bit, but what else are they going to play?

It's quite amusing really, a few moves like this, and you've not only convinced the majority of your fans that they are playing actual RPGs, but you've also basically destroyed the demand for actual RPGs entirely (except in a fringe minority that isn't really big enough to matter at that scale). They're literally shaping the demand according to what they're most comfortable delivering.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don’t always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it.

:retarded:

Yeah, why play a RPG for the combat when you can watch cutscenes? Why did they even have a combat part in it? Why not just make a rendered film and sell that?

Frankly, if combat is so fucking boring in your DA:O that you just want to skip it, well that's a problem of your own making you fuckwit vis a vis your shitty combat and your never ending trash mobs!

Incredible that they hate their own shit and in the next game they try to change that into more shit!

Rude Dude

Educated
"Heather Rabatich: There’s so much I liked about the first game, but personally, for me combat-wise, that is a big thing for me because I’m tactical to a certain degree but then sometimes I just button-mash my way through, I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don’t always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it. And it really depends on where I’m at in the gameplay, so I like this type of combat, I feel like its faster and the pace is faster so I would say that for me that’s one of the things that, as someone who’s playing the game everyday, watching the combat improve and seeing how the game is changing in that way has, for me, been a very satisfying experience."

Maybe she shouldn't play rpgs :?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
games.on.net: Now, as I mentioned to you, I dropped out of the first one because the combat was difficult, I got stuck last time, have you maintained that level of difficulty for the second one?
Bioware catering to their audience. :salute:

bloodlover said:
This + "I think it will be about the length of Mass Effect 2. " Imo ME 2 was too short for this genre.
Who says this genre has to be particularly lengthy? I'm assuming it means the removal of all the filler trash mobs and that's fine with me.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If they're marketing this to people with ADHD and a reading disability one wonders who they think is reading the interview itself.

hakuroshi

Augur
DalekFlay said:
If they're marketing this to people with ADHD and a reading disability one wonders who they think is reading the interview itself.

Codex of course. They provide us something to bitch and moan.

I think our style is now setting us apart

Yeah and it looks like shit.

it matches the combat

Because its shit too.

it matches the new type of story we’re doing

Which I do not doubt will also be a load of shit.

you might not even realise you’re being strategic

This dumbfuckery will no doubt destroy the minds of many who try to understand it.

And how do you make it more accessible?

you press a button and something cool happens!

Yeah, sums up the entire modern industry right there.

Last edited:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
And how do you make it more accessible?
Heather Rabatich: Well, you press a button and something cool happens! There’s like a cause and effect...

I can do attack a or attack b it is choice and consequence. Really Dragon age 2 will be a great RPG just like Halo, just instead of roleplaying Master Chief you will Roleplay Hawke. And instead of choosing pistol or rifle and suffer the consequences, you will choose sword a or sword b, and when you do something cool will happen! Also fully voiced bound to be as totally awesome like Oblivions, hopefully there will be some quality DLC like horse armor as well!

:retarded:

Delirius

Liturgist
Thank God Bioware will be broke thanks to incoming SWTOR's failure and their idiotic producers.

I pray for this everyday.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Delirius said:
Thank God Bioware will be broke thanks to incoming SWTOR's failure and their idiotic producers.

I pray for this everyday.

You really shouldn't, because if Bioware goes down because of SWTOR, Obshit will be next with SWTOR2 - The Shit Lords.

CraigCWB

Educated
Well, we wanted Dragon Age 2 to stand out from the generic fantasy genre.

When was "fantasy" a computer game genre? I've been playing computer games since the mid 1980s and I've never heard of it :o

It’s actually an ever growing market, half the games out there right now seem to be fantasy

This woman is retarded. She's obviously never played a computer game in her life and she should have known better than to start talking about an industry she knows nothing about. She should have had the sense to restrict her commentary to her artwork. And her handlers should have had the sense to give her some talking points instead of just letting her wing it.

Rogue

Educated
I just wanna get to the next part of the story, so I don’t always want the epic combat, I just want to beat it and be done with it.

fuck, the stupidity of this shit almost gave me cancer. :decline:

bioware really needs to die. :smug:

CraigCWB

Educated
PS: I'll bet somebody a buck fifty she thinks the other half of the computer game market is the "romance" genre.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I ranted in my mind for a bit but then I noticed these are quotes from a female, it all makes sense now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom