Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview FOOL will be Hilarious

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Fallout Online; Interplay

<p>Edge is dribbling out <a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/news/90-strong-team-working-on-fallout-mmog" target="_blank">more of their interview</a> with Interplay president, Herv&eacute;'s Brother.</p>
<blockquote>"An MMOG must be a lot deeper than a standalone game. It&rsquo;s not a shooting game we&rsquo;re making. You can shoot, but it&rsquo;s a very small portion of the game. The game itself is about reconstructing the world. What is unique about our project is how we&rsquo;re trying to get it into many communication systems.<br /><br />"This is a big problem for World Of Warcraft, because the fantasy universe is not compatible with modern communication systems. It would be odd to receive an SMS from a troll. But in a post-apocalyptic world&hellip;"</blockquote>
<p>... it would be almost as odd considering that text messaging requires a functioning telecommuncations infrastructure. Might be better to have a shaman contact the player in their dreams: "Once again my spirit touches you from the void. Chosen{limpbizkit84}, our crops fail, our reserves are meager. Return to us with 10 Gecko Pelts, 5 Cat's Paw Magazines, and 1 Fuzzy Painting. Your failure is our lost light."<br /><br />And now for the money quote:</p>
<blockquote>"We appreciate some portions of [Bethesda's work], and we&rsquo;re not necessarily fans of everything. I think they miss a lot of the humour, and the fans seem to agree with that. Fallout 3 was a little bit too serious - that&rsquo;s definitely not where we&rsquo;re going. Our Fallout MMOG will be extremely funny."</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to Jaesun, Tycn, and riverqueen for pointing this out</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Baron

Arcane
Why do they think humour will work in a MMORG? I guess some people find grinding the same joke funny, like fans of Little Britain. The FO3 writing was utter shit but the atmosphere was spot on. The music and art design were gorgeous, the overheard supermutant conversations I found funny. I also found ambushing strangers and looting/eating them funny too. Immersive game (except when someone spoke.)

It's making me nervous what Interplay plans to correct in terms of humour. Fallout 3 wasn't that serious, gentlemen. The apocalyptic genre won't work for me if it's even less serious than irradiated mutants with bobbleheads.

Fallout is ripe to take advantage of the Pipboy3000, receiving messages through that makes sense. But it seems like more streamlining, cutting out even the interaction with your employer as you race about collecting 10 radscorp glands. Seems a bad idea. But meh, I should cut them some slack. If they're planning less shooting they must have something else fun to do outside of combat. Let's hope it's not walking.

kazgar said:
A fool and his money are soon parted.

And sometimes the fool manages to buy a brilliant crpg development company, squandering the company's IP on shoddy action games and losing money through an increasingly inept publishing wing, and when soon parted from his money, manages to take that company down into bankruptcy with him despite the development wing being profitable until the bitter end...

GuideBot

Novice
Because if there's one thing we're lacking is MMOs that don't take themselves so seriously. Yeah, I'm just so sick of all those MMOs out there with consistent story lines, interesting characters and a firm belief in not breaking the fourth wall.

What we need are more games with names that reflect real life celebrities, quests that have cheap puns for titles, a billion Monty Python references, and dialogue written by a twelve year old doing work experience for the company that comes up with the narration to action movie trailers.

halasterbc

Novice
yay, more grinding garbage. i bet it will use something like wow's engine.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Jason said:
It’s not a shooting game we’re making. You can shoot, but it’s a very small portion of the game.

I cringe whenever they write things like this, it's sounds like an half-assed apology. It's like Seinfeld saying "Not like there's anything wrong with that" whenever he mentions homosexuals.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
commie said:
Fuck all this. Herve will hopefully lose what little remains from his mismanagement and is forced into selling his arse at Lorient docks.
You underestimate the Evil One's saving throw vs bankcruptcy.

CraigCWB

Educated
Personally, I find a bit of humor in the fact that the guys who killed the original Fallout franchise and caused the original developers to be unemployed seem to be claiming they are going to put that original Fallout magic back into the setting for their MMO. Not only do these two clowns have no connection to the development of FO1+2, I doubt they even played them.

"We appreciate some portions of [Bethesda's work], and we’re not necessarily fans of everything. I think they miss a lot of the humour, and the fans seem to agree with that. Fallout 3 was a little bit too serious - that’s definitely not where we’re going. Our Fallout MMOG will be extremely funny."

I think "funny" is the wrong term to describe the Fallout games. "Charm" is a better word, because that's what Fallout 1 & 2 had that Fallout 3 doesn't have. A lot of the old games have that intangible "charm" factor, where you just enjoy the game and the setting without really knowing why. Most the newer games seem to lack that, and come across as being very mechanical and formulaic.

Anyway... I haven't been hooked on an MMO since Everquest. I'll probably try this when it comes out, on the off chance it won't be even more boring than watching the grass grow like most MMOs are these days. But I'm skeptical it will ever even be released. Not by these guys, at any rate. I've seen this routine where developers keep talking up their project and drumming up investors but the project never gets any closer to completion before.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
CraigCWB said:
. But I'm skeptical it will ever even be released. Not by these guys, at any rate. I've seen this routine where developers keep talking up their project and drumming up investors but the project never gets any closer to completion before.

Yeah, it seems like another bullshit scheme by these two fuckers to get some fools to part with their cash on a promise, and then siphon it off somewhere into some 'consulting firm' that they secretly own, then announce 'sadly' that the game cannot be released.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I think "funny" is the wrong term to describe the Fallout games. "Charm" is a better word, because that's what Fallout 1 & 2 had that Fallout 3 doesn't have. A lot of the old games have that intangible "charm" factor, where you just enjoy the game and the setting without really knowing why. Most the newer games seem to lack that, and come across as being very mechanical and formulaic.

I agree. original Fallouts had great deal of charm, mostly thanks to music and art style. F3 on the other hand was just a Beths idea of post-apocalypse with vault boy stamped on everyplace possible.

NV also failed to create charm by simply using some songs from F1&2, it just isn't the same.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
CraigCWB said:
Personally, I find a bit of humor in the fact that the guys who killed the original Fallout franchise and caused the original developers to be unemployed seem to be claiming they are going to put that original Fallout magic back into the setting for their MMO. Not only do these two clowns have no connection to the development of FO1+2, I doubt they even played them.
They have Chris Tailor and Jason Anderson.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
CraigCWB said:

That seems to be overly artistic and vague, but you're right basically. I think Fallout's "charm" in its setting came from the contrast in its idea (PA setting & '50s rising american pop culture). It certainly didn't come from, as some Fallout fans try to convince themselves, how deep (derp), serious or coherent the setting was.

However, Fallout was never noted to be "funny" before F3 as far as I know - just Betheshda having bad taste is all. You have the weird forced situation in F3 in which there are gore-stained crazed raiders everywhere + "wacky" characters, which is supposed to be a "funny" contrast, but it just kills the original charm by being obnoxious. It's true that were was a contrast in the original Fallout as I mentionned between "grimdark" and "cheery", but this contrast was meant to come together, not just go in two totally opposite directions (childish bullshit, obviously).

On another note, it pisses me off to see people say that F3 had fun writing and characters (and NV is supposedly boring in comparison). I don't know what the fuck those people are thinking. I guess you could say they are not "taking their video games seriously", which makes them better than me in a way, but fuck it. I still call bad taste on this shit.

However -

Jason said:
We appreciate some portions of [Bethesda's work], and we’re not necessarily fans of everything. I think they miss a lot of the humour, and the fans seem to agree with that. Fallout 3 was a little bit too serious - that’s definitely not where we’re going. Our Fallout MMOG will be extremely funny

Not sure what the fuck I'm supposed to think about that, derp a derp I guess, there's no way I can be an anti-codex apologist about this

oscar

Arcane
Oh Prosper :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom