Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bethesda passed on $50 Million Fallout MMO

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Interplay

<p>Interplay president Eric Caen (aka Herv&eacute;'s brother)<a href="http://www.next-gen.biz/news/interplay-bethesda-turned-down-rights-to-fallout-mmog" target="_blank"> is claiming</a> that Bethesda balked at the idea of dropping $50 million on the rights to a <strong>Fallout MMO</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>"Herv&eacute; [Caen] started negotiations with Bethesda to sell Fallout to them," reveals Eric. "My brother said: 'If you want the full IP, the value of it is $50 million.' They said: 'No way. Why $50 million?' We said: 'Because the MMOG strength of this universe is huge.' Bethesda said: 'We don&rsquo;t want that. Let&rsquo;s buy everything else but the MMOG. Do the MMOG.' They said that Interplay had to start development and by a certain time we had to have a full game in development."<br /><br />Eric says he thinks that Bethesda, on realising the value of the original proposition, wanted to reclaim a stake in the project.<br /><br />"They bought everything, but left Interplay with the licence to do the MMOG - under certain conditions, thinking that Interplay would never fulfil these conditions. But Interplay did. Spring 2009 - this is public information - Bethesda sends a termination letter to Interplay, saying: 'You did not fulfil your obligation.' So all the litigation is about that. I think Bethesda, off the back of Fallout 3&rsquo;s success, realised that Herv&eacute; was probably right about the value. They said: 'OK, how can we get that without paying?'"</blockquote>
<p>As always, take anything the Fabulous Furry French Brothers say with a grain of salt.<br /><br /><em>Thanks to Jaesun for the tip</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I had wondered that too, in that after the success of Fallout 3, Zenimax was probably thinking FUCK! We really should have bought the MMO portion of the IP. LET'S GET IT!

I wonder how much Zenimax then did pay for the Fallout IP minus the MMO part?

Drakron

Arcane
Jaesun said:

No need to wonder ... we have SEC fillings.

$5,750,000.00

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/ ... 000324.txt

So Haeve wanted a extra of $45,250,000.00 for the MMO license, no wonder Bethsoft said "no fucking way" and still managed to force Interplay in such a terms its pretty damn impossible for them to achieve.

Also anyone thinks that a MMO license is worth 50 millions? consider how many MMO are successful these days.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Drakron said:
Jaesun said:

$5,750,000.00

So Haeve wanted a extra of $45,250,000.00 for the MMO license, no wonder Bethsoft said "no fucking way" and still managed to force Interplay in such a terms its pretty damn impossible for them to achieve.

Also anyone thinks that a MMO license is worth 50 millions? consider how many MMO are successful these days.

Thanks man.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"consider how many MMO are successful these days."

Quite a few, actually. NEWSFLASH: You do NOT need WOW numbers to be 'successful'.

" still managed to force Interplay in such a terms its pretty damn impossible for them to achieve. "

Yeah, I can't beleive Inetrplay agreed with thsoe terms. I would have told Bethesda to fuck off.

obediah

Erudite
Drakron said:

With WoW bringing in around $150M a month + microtransactions + expansions, $50M at least has the right number of digits for a WoW-killing franchise. I wonder what deal BioBros gave George for their FULLY VOICED MMOG.

Drakron

Arcane
I heard EA BioWare sunk 130 millions on that Old Republic.

Now WoW makes a lot of money but its pretty much the ONLY doing that kind of money as all of the so-called "WoW Killers" have either sunk or are the small fish going around.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
If you are gonna make up shit, and throw random numbers out there let's just go all the way and say it's a trillion dollars and be done with it. R00fles! :thumbsup:

xemous

Arcane
word from a disgruntled WAR online developer said 300 mil was sunk into that, and development isn't going to well.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I know. That's why it's a RUMOUR. Chances are he's exaggerting for effect.

You're all wrong. It was

dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

FruitOfFallout

Educated
ChristofferC said:
The true cost of Old Republic is ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS.

Why are you being sarcastic like the flying monkey female grandma ghost in Donkey Kong 64?

although it might of been the male who talked in the underwater giant barrel with bananas or coins to collect.

tbfh, i want Beth and interplay to win. maybe they can work together? idk, i like how beth is able to sell their games no matter what. and if they can pull of a fallout mmo before interplay, i would be inclined to run it for a ride.

PlanHex said:
Drakron said:

$5,750,000.00

So Haeve wanted a extra of $45,250,000.00 for the MMO license
I stand in awe of your epic math skills.

As am I. Most mere mortals can only produce a remainder of $4,250,000 when subtracting $5,750,000 from $50,000,000. PlanHex has manged to locate an entire extra $1,000,000. That's Jesus-and-the-many-loaves-and-fishes category of bending the rules of the universe for material gain. I bow before our mightly Lord PlanHex and await his further commands!

hoochimama

Liturgist
Azrael the cat said:
PlanHex said:
Drakron said:

$5,750,000.00

So Haeve wanted a extra of $45,250,000.00 for the MMO license
I stand in awe of your epic math skills.

As am I. Most mere mortals can only produce a remainder of $4,250,000 when subtracting $5,750,000 from $50,000,000. PlanHex has manged to locate an entire extra $1,000,000. That's Jesus-and-the-many-loaves-and-fishes category of bending the rules of the universe for material gain. I bow before our mightly Lord PlanHex and await his further commands!

I stand in awe of your epic asparagus.

Drakron

Arcane
I know, only realized my mistake after it was quoted so I did not bothered to edit it.

Its a extra of 44,250,000.00.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Well, we at least know Drakron is not a jew.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom