Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Feargus strikes again: NWN, KotNR, and IWD2

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

Another <a href=http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3134032>interview</a> with <b>Feargus</b>, the master of PR manipulations. This time it's <a href=http://www.1up.com>1UP</a>'s turn to ask questions:
<br>
<blockquote>But our biggest focus right now is on the single-player campaign... So that's one of our goals: take what we've learned from Fallout and Planescape: Torment, and really make a great single-player game. We've been thinking about a lot of older RPGs, and we have this feeling that something has been lost with recent RPGs.</blockquote>Isn't that sweet? NWN2: Everything Fallout fans have asked for since Fallout 2!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Certainly we'd love to do a KOTOR III if they were interested in one. We've also been trying to talk LucasArts into the idea of making a Knights of the New Republic. That would be really cool; you could have cameos and everything</blockquote>Yes, cameos are cool, I like new game ideas that are based on cameos. That just tells you right away that it's a quality title!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Otherwise... you know, I'd like to do a sequel to Icewind Dale, because Icewind Dale II was really a very poorly launched title. ... The only thing I'm kicking myself in the ass over with Icewind Dale II is not replacing all the avatars in the game. We could've done it, but we were so pressured for time... I wish we changed the avatars, though, because otherwise the game was a true sequel -- it had a new interface, new ruleset, and everything.</blockquote>And new "slaughter waves of monstars" gameplay!
<br>
<br>

Tiliqua

Liturgist
Well I'm a big fan of the Infinity engine crpgs and I have high hopes for NWN2. I hope that Feargus fixes the really annoying aspects of NWN and makes NWN2 the game we wanted NWN to be. One big problem for me is this insane requirement to use henchmen. It will be like PnP with retards - why, why, why are they going to persist with AI when we know it still isn't worth crap.

Its quite a feat that his rep spiked and then went further down the toilet than its ever been in the space of a couple of days.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Role-Player said:
I can just see Obsidian's new slogan: "Obsidian: Handling others' IP's since 2003"
Yep, that would work very well. I'm sure that people who have IPs would want them to be handled by somebody who appreciates other people's IP and knows how to take care of them.

IP owner: So, young man, you think you can handle our IP?
Feargus: I sure do, mister
IP owner: Have you done it before?
Feargus: I'm glad you asked *shows a huge list of IP's he worked with
IP owner: Impressive! So you do know how to work with an IP, but can you grow one?
Feargus: I'm sure you've heard of my work. We are responsible for Knights of the New Republic, Scum of the Old Republic, Sith Lords of the New Empire, etc.
IP owner: Amazing! How did you come with all that stuff?
Feargus: One word: cameos!
IP owner: Brilliant!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Honestly hmm what's wrong with focusing on the single player campaign of NWN2? I don't get you guys, sometimes. Would you prefer a focus on multiplayer, or what?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Talk is cheap. Weren't we told exactly the same thing about the original NWN?

Pope_Viper

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Talk is cheap. Weren't we told exactly the same thing about the original NWN?

Yeah, but then you did have a different company doing it, neh?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Apparently VD makes sees difference in regards to any company that mentions the word "Fallout" in the same sentence as the product they're making. Anybody who mentions "Fallout" or "Planescape: Torment" regardless of whether they had actual participation in the development of the aforementioned products is a negligable issue in his grasp of logic.

Won't somebody call the fucking waaaaaaambulance for VD?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Pope_Viper said:
Yeah, but then you did have a different company doing it, neh?
That would still oversee the development, would they not? Anyway, if Feargus thinks that avatars were the biggest problem of IWD2, that's gotta tell you something.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Actually, if we're talking about problems - it's very arguable that the avatars in IWD2 were its biggest problem. See, the problem is that unlike the updates they did to the engine, - the avatars were almost 3 years old. The animations weren't up to date with graphics at the time and by that time most people had gotten sick of those avatars.

IWD 2 had its share of problems, notably the incessant amount of combat and certain game stopping bugs that were fixed shortly after release, but its main problem was, by and large, the outdated graphics.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
Apparently VD makes sees difference in regards to any company that mentions the word "Fallout" in the same sentence as the product they're making. Anybody who mentions "Fallout" or "Planescape: Torment" regardless of whether they had actual participation in the development of the aforementioned products is a negligable issue in his grasp of logic.
Some people have blind faith in something, some don't. After Feargus "participated" in the development of FO and PST, he also did Torn, IWD games, and Lionheart (in an overseeing capacity). More then enough to give you a reason to doubt his words. But, hey, Rex, if you want to believe that he will do great deep games, that's fine with me, and unlike you, I won't flame you for your point of view.

Won't somebody call the fucking waaaaaaambulance for VD?
So original and funny.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Exitium said:
Actually, if we're talking about problems - it's very arguable that the avatars in IWD2 were its biggest problem.
I disagree. Call me another wambulance. Boring gameplay was its biggest problem.

IWD 2 had its share of problems, notably the incessant amount of combat and certain game stopping bugs that were fixed shortly after release, but its main problem was, by and large, the outdated graphics.
What was Lionheart's problem? Also graphics?

Taoreich

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
What was Lionheart's problem? Also graphics?

Clarifying question- Is that a poke at Exitium's participation in Lionheart or at Black Isle's publishing role (and Feargus by proxy)?

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's a poke at anything pokable, but mainly it's an example of another game with gameplay so bad that graphics are irrelevant.

Flink

Liturgist
I actually liked the original IWD quite a bit for what it was but I have to agree with VD on this one. IWD2 had some very poorly designed/unfunny areas and the story was rather dull and unimaginative as well.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think they should have gone with a more descriptive name then Obsidian, something like "SlamDunks 'R Us *now with cameos"

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"when we know it still isn't worth crap."

Wrong. there is nothing wrong with the NWN henchmen. The AI does need some improvement, and that's it. Please, don'ty speak for everybody. I'd take "bad" AI in games like FO or NWN than multi headed monsters in games like TOEE, and IWD.

"Weren't we told exactly the same thing about the original NWN?"

No. We were told the focus of NWN1 was the multiplayer and toolset. That's a fact. SP was an extra. In fact, BIO didn't start hyping the OC until much later in the development process when moronic BG fans like myself begged for them to do so. Besides, youa re starting to spread another myth. There was *no* SP campaign. There was an OC. A big difference. Afterall, the OC is fully playable SP or MP.

suibhne

Erudite
StraitLacedDeviant said:
Its quite a feat that his rep spiked and then went further down the toilet than its ever been in the space of a couple of days.

It's even more of a feat when he didn't say anything identifiably idiotic.

IWD2's biggest problem was its inconsistent design and tone - some of the areas were fabulous, and some of them were baldly sub-par - but you can't possibly expect him to trash his own designers in this interview. Sure, it's a politically correct answer, but the avatars are also one of the IWD2 drawbacks which drew the most criticism both in reviews and from fans (as I remember vividly from the IWD2 board).

Anyway, it's indisputable that VU did a terrible job of publishing and then supporting the game.

Seriously - what's so awful about this interview? You guys piled on like cousins at a barn dance, but you didn't offer much in the way of specifics.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Volourn said:
Wrong. there is nothing wrong with the NWN henchmen.

I'm inclined to agree with Volourn here. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Tomi running into the middle of a rabid group of hobgoblins. There certainly wasn't anything wrong with gnome spellcaster standing still and lauching spells while he was being attacked in melee.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
"Weren't we told exactly the same thing about the original NWN?"

No. We were told the focus of NWN1 was the multiplayer and toolset. That's a fact. SP was an extra. In fact, BIO didn't start hyping the OC until much later in the development process
Does it matter when they started hyping it? The point is that when they did that's what they said. If you want me to refresh your memory with quotes, let me know.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I'm inclined to agree with Volourn here."

R00fles! Sarcasm is only cool when I do it.

"Does it matter when they started hyping it?"

No. The fact that they hyped it at all doesn't matter. Afterall, your point was that SP was the focus of the game. It wans't. First off, everyone with half a brain knows that MP was from the get go. Period. Secondly, there was no SP. At all. There was on;ly the OC which can be played both in SP or MP. Sorry, use the quotes all you want as it won't change the facts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom