Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News KOTOR II: The Sith Lords - Coming Winter 2004

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

According to a recent press release sent out by LucasArts, Obsidian's upcoming sequel, KOTOR II: The Sith Lords has been confirmed for release in Winter 2004. Here's the actual quote:
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
"Finally, the next chapter of the award-winning original title of 2003, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords will be available just in time for the holidays in Winter 2004 on both Xbox and PC."</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I hope it isn't getting rushed out the door.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Well, I suppose we can HOPE that they aren't rushing it out to the holidays just to make some cash, right? :roll: Anyway; I'm willing to think they've come up with a good game. Much better than what BioWare made.

DemonKing

Arcane
At least it is being developed on a tried and tested engine, unlike TOEE which was kicked out of the door way before it was ready for prime time.

I believe they started work on it August 2003, so if it makes it by December 2004 I don't think 15 months is too short a development time for a game built on a pre-existing engine.

Besides, perhaps with the cash generated from a hit KOTOR 2 hopefully they can start developing something original.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I guess you got a point there. But still, I'm kind of having a hard time dealing with games getting rushed to the holiday shopping sprees. Usually they're crammed with bugs and an awful lot of non-existent QA. Maybe KOTOR 2 will make me change my mind, eh? We'll see.

keeks

Novice
One of the developers posted at the Obsidian forums a few weeks ago, saying that they were always supposed to deliver the game to Lucasarts before December and what Lucasarts did with it after that wasn't Obsidian's decision.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Before December 2004? That was the original plan? Hmm, I heard there was talk about an February 2005-release from the beginning, which was then cancelled for the December 2005-release. Ah well, the game's coming out. No idea discussing old matters. How wrong or true they might be. :roll:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DemonKing said:
At least it is being developed on a tried and tested engine, unlike TOEE which was kicked out of the door way before it was ready for prime time.

Good thing Fallout 2 was developed on a tried and tested engine.. Oh, wait..

DemonKing

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
DemonKing said:

Good thing Fallout 2 was developed on a tried and tested engine.. Oh, wait..

Well, I don't remember there being a car in the original FO, and that was one of the main source of post-release bugs in FO2, as I recall...

...but that was Ineptplay trying to modify their own engine...they seemed to do alright when it came to modding a BIO engine (with Bio support, no doubt), which is what Onsidian are doing with KOTOR2, in any case.

Voss

Erudite
adding something to an engine is very different than building one from scratch.

As for KotoR 2. Nah. Not being rushed in any way.

And I love keeks 'we wash our hands of it' post. Can you dig up who actually said it? Because that sort of shit is always funny. And a fair sign of quality. 'But it isn't *our* responsibility...'

Heh

Talorc

Liturgist
Locue said:
Before December 2004? That was the original plan? Hmm, I heard there was talk about an February 2005-release from the beginning, which was then cancelled for the December 2005-release. Ah well, the game's coming out. No idea discussing old matters. How wrong or true they might be. :roll:

Which means Lucasarts lopped 2 months of their originally scheduled time to finish their QA process - thats their job, not Obsidians.

So they either have:

1. Absolute faith in the Sterling talents of their QA team, and their ability to meet this compressed deadline
2. Been very happy with the relatively bug free status of the Alpha / beta builds they have been getting from Obsidian
3. No conscience, and couldnt give a rats ass if KOTOR II is a crappy bugfest, so long as "TEH SEQWAL TO THE 2003 GAME OF TEH YEARZ!!!" is released in time for Mum and Dad to buy little Jimmy a copy at Walmart for Christmas..

Hopefully its more number 2, as Kotor 2 sounds like it could be a definite improvement on No 1.

And for Voss:

Akari speaks

(Kudos to Jora who originally linked this in thisthread)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom