Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview When You Press a Button Something Awesome Happens

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Some folks found Dragon Age hard to love. Thankfully BioWare is aware that the game was overly complex and is about to simplify Dragon Age 2 properly, <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269925" target="_blank">says CVG</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span class="text_article_body">Outside of the chatting, the combat is being simplified too. Bioware has chucked out the 'queued action' system - where you'd press a button and wait until your character attacked - with more direct control.<br /><br /> If you press the stab button, your on-screen warrior will stab. Nice to know. This makes fights feel faster, even if they are actually running at the same pace as they did in the first outing.</span></p>
<p><span class="text_article_body">...</span></p>
<p><span class="text_article_body">The pay-off, though, is more spectacular sequences that fizz with magic and frequently coat everything on screen in gore.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><span class="text_article_body">Awesome! That's what RPGs are all about!</span></p>
<p><span class="text_article_body"><br /></span></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/100126-dragon-age-ii-preview.html">GB</a></p>

racofer

Thread Incliner
b4fi45.gif

1zw17jr.jpg

Cenobyte

Prophet
This preview is completely retarded, but quite funny to read, especially if you remember that the currently known ingame footage shows only a vast black nothingness without any other major details. And that is supposed to be "sexier" than the "sprawling green and brown fields" of Dragon Age?

Moar grimdark in mah dragun effect

:yeah:

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

.Sigurd

Educated
The comments seems to be pretty impressive for that kind of site.

Random guy said:
to those who think they are doing this to reach a bigger audience here are some sales figures for you.

DA sold/shipped 3.8 million copies,Baldur's gate 2 sold 2 million, neverwinter nights + expansions nearly 3 million
kotor 3 million, alternatively as of March this year ME2 had sold 1.6 million and those figures come from both bioware and EA itself, so its not even like they are reaching a bigger audience by doing this. Has the audience changed, well they made DA to be more like the old school games (its still simple compared to those old games but still great game) and it became the best selling game the company have ever made, which makes it so hard to figure out exactly why they are continuing to simplify the games they make.

Exmit

Scholar
.Sigurd said:
The comments seems to be pretty impressive for the kind of site.

Random guy said:
to those who think they are doing this to reach a bigger audience here are some sales figures for you.

DA sold/shipped 3.8 million copies,Baldur's gate 2 sold 2 million, neverwinter nights + expansions nearly 3 million
kotor 3 million, alternatively as of March this year ME2 had sold 1.6 million and those figures come from both bioware and EA itself, so its not even like they are reaching a bigger audience by doing this. Has the audience changed, well they made DA to be more like the old school games (its still simple compared to those old games but still great game) and it became the best selling game the company have ever made, which makes it so hard to figure out exactly why they are continuing to simplify the games they make.

ME2 has the worst selling number , conclusion ?

non hardcore RPG newfags don't give a shit about rpgs , and hardcore RPG fans don't give a shit about dumbed down RPG that's why ME2 has the worst selling number - its target audience is no one , cause newfags like popamole and rpgers don't like dumbed down shit - seems like developers don't know anymore what they are doing.

If they made Baldurs Gate 3 with proper gameplay like the old ones (then i don't care if it's on xbox and ps3 also , a good game is a good game) the sells would sky rocket.

EA/bioware is shooting its own foot

racofer said:
Fallout 3 sold 4.7 million units on its first month...

*shrugs*

Not necessarily inconsistent. I greatly prefer Bioware's products to Bethesda's - for me Beth is a completely different level of shite to Bioware's predictable-but-competent mainstream action-adventure games. But however crap Bethesda is, their games are unquestionably crpgs. Bad crpgs, but crpgs nonetheless. The sales of FO3 could be taken as a sign that the mass crpg audience is so starved of well-hyped crpgs that even an awful one sells more than the comparatively over-satiated action-adventure market leader.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Azrael the cat said:
The sales of FO3 could be taken as a sign that the mass crpg audience is so starved of well-hyped crpgs that even an awful one sells more than the comparatively over-satiated action-adventure market leader.

It could also be taken as a sign that the only people who think FO3 was crap are a handful of codexfags whose opinion isn't worth two shits to any serious developer.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
racofer said:

*shrugs*

Fallout 3 is considerably more complex than Ass Effect.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Azrael the cat said:
racofer said:

*shrugs*

Not necessarily inconsistent. I greatly prefer Bioware's products to Bethesda's - for me Beth is a completely different level of shite to Bioware's predictable-but-competent mainstream action-adventure games. But however crap Bethesda is, their games are unquestionably crpgs. Bad crpgs, but crpgs nonetheless. The sales of FO3 could be taken as a sign that the mass crpg audience is so starved of well-hyped crpgs that even an awful one sells more than the comparatively over-satiated action-adventure market leader.

I actually prefer Beth games to Bioware games, except for Oblivion which was shit due to level scaling. At least they aren't filled with lengthy cutscenes and incredibly lengthy filler combat parts.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Exmit said:
ME2 has the worst selling number , conclusion ?

My conclusion is that the claims of both developers and codexfags that console/casual players like everything to be stupid simple is a lie. I've suspected it ever since xbox Morrowind outsold its PC counterpart despite being a mediocre port with atrocious loading times and constant crashing. I can understand why developers lie: they want to lower production costs without looking cheap, so they just say it's what the people want. What's the codexfag's excuse? I suspect the codexfag may not be lying after all. He's just retarded. If codexfags and their spiritual bretheren across the gaming world would stop bashing console players who haven't actually done anything to them and just pointed out to developers that their emperor has no clothes, we'd all be more likely to get a decent, complex RPG once in a while.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
JarlFrank said:
I actually prefer Beth games to Bioware games, except for Oblivion which was shit due to level scaling.

Unlike Dragon Age where there was no scaling whatsoever. :smug:

themadhatter

Novice
JarlFrank said:
I actually prefer Beth games to Bioware games [...] At least they aren't filled with [...] incredibly lengthy filler combat parts.
Total agreement here, mate, it's nice to see a developer that has abandoned the idea of making lengthy combat parts and stuck to making purely lengthy combat games.
The shameful thing is that both studios continue to market them as RPGs.

denizsi

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I actually prefer Beth games to Bioware games, except for Oblivion which was shit due to level scaling.

Yes, the only significant flaw of an otherwise great game. amirite?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom