Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Why idiots like KOTOR?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

To answer that question we present you the latest <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/knights_old_republic>KotOR</a> <a href=http://www.smashgames.com/reviews/review.cfm?ID=74>review</a>, courtesy of <a href=http://www.smashgames.com>Smash Games</a>. The score is <b>52.5</b> out of ... no, not 100, out of <b>55</b>. The author thinks that it's "one of Bioware's finest works and, simply put, Knights of the Old Republic is the best PC-style RPG since Baldur's Gate, and one of the best RPGs ever created".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>As KOTOR is an RPG, combat plays a huge role in the game. Although you can move around at will during battle, the combat system is almost identical to that in Neverwinter Nights, only much more dramatically-animated, making battles a pleasure, with fast-paced parries, slashes, and blasts. In the first part of the game, battles are simply "your skills vs. theirs," and if you are able to control your party three-person aptly, picking off dangerous targets in a smart order, you'll win. However, this simplicity does not last long. This should be no big spoiler to anyone: your character becomes a Jedi somewhat early on in the game. From this point on, your party will face not just the common enemy rabble, but Dark-Side Force Users. You'll have to counter them using the four Jedi available to you, armed with their varying lightsaber styles and plethora of Force skills. The game quickly becomes a balancing act: choosing your Force skills and combat abilities well, and deciding which party members will complement them well in order to adapt to any situation. Becoming a Jedi greatly enhances both difficulty and overall gameplay experience.</blockquote>
<br>
<i>Counter</i> them? He made it sound like some strategy was required.
<br>

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Judas said:
Because if anybody disagrees with the Codex, they must be an idiot.
Yep, that's it, that's the only logical explanation. You may also try to read the review in question, but that's, like, too much work, I guess.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Transcendent One said:
Don't know 'bout disagreeing with the Codex, but you certainly are an idiot
OMG! A Codex regular resorting to childish name-calling! WHAT A SHOCK!

Sooooo predictable.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Transcendent One said:
It's just a simple truth. And you can't get mad at the truth. You know it.

Next :arrow:
"You can't get mad at the truth?" Wow. What a zinger.

:lol:

If I were you I'd stick to the safety of calling people names over the internet when they disagree with you, cause, that kind of sucked.

Jed

Cipher
Judas said:
Anti-Codex troll #8,971. How many days do you think he'll last? It has been slow for news lately, so I guess this might provide some entertainment. Overall, I do have to say that the "once a month some chump drops by to tell us that we WRONG!" bit is getting pretty tiresome. It's like after having played so many cRPGs, you pretty much know the drill, the formula, and pretty much know what's around each corner...

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
xJEDx said:
Judas said:
Anti-Codex troll #8,971. How many days do you think he'll last? It has been slow for news lately, so I guess this might provide some entertainment.
Last before what? I'm banned? I haven't done anything ban-worthy...unless disagreeing is cause for banning, I suppose.

Or will the repeated cries of "FAGGET" and "IDIOT" finally get to me?

Oh the anticipation...

plin

Liturgist
xJEDx said:
Judas said:
Anti-Codex troll #8,971. How many days do you think he'll last? It has been slow for news lately, so I guess this might provide some entertainment. Overall, I do have to say that the "once a month some chump drops by to tell us that we WRONG!" bit is getting pretty tiresome. It's like after having played so many cRPGs, you pretty much know the drill, the formula, and pretty much know what's around each corner...

Actually, what he says holds more true with each idiot who replies to his post like the wanker above (in my quote, not the post above me) and Transcendent Assmuncher.

suibhne

Erudite
The amusing thing, of course, is that many of us here honestly enjoyed KotOR, and this troll apparently didn't notice the rather, ah, limited cognitive capacity suggested by that review. I think that's called a "forfeit" in most games.

But hey, he helped me increase my post count.

Ausir

Arcane
If you looked at our very own review of KotOR, you'd know that it's fairly positive. That the reasons this reviewer has for praising this game are idiotic, does not mean that the only people who like this game are idiots.

Monte Carlo

Liturgist
This guy Judas misses the point. This is a forum where Volourn is tolerated, for fucks sake. Everybody is free to disagree. I think that there must be some obscure internet version of a cargo cult, full of trolls who get pissy about places like this. Wakw up, sparky! If you want to go to anodyne, over-moderated, vanilla gaming forums full of Stepford Gamers then the Net is fucking full of them.

Judas, why not go to a forum that isn't stubbornly happy to be full of whinging grognards like this one? The Codex does exactly what it says on the tin. Join in the spirit of the place, rack your hunting rifle and open up some tinned rations or just go away. Sheesh.

Cheers
MC

Jed

Cipher
plin said:
Actually, what he says holds more true with each idiot who replies to his post like the wanker above (in my quote, not the post above me) and Transcendent Assmuncher.
Care to explain your incoherence for those of us burdened with logical minds? Incidentally, if you're so diametrically opposed to the Codex, why the fuck are you wasting so many goddamn keystrokes on our forums? If your "disagreements" were anything worthwhile, that would be one thing, but your current mental diarrhea leaves a lot to be desired in terms of debate. Compared to your trolling, even Volourn has MAD DEBATE SKILLZ0RZ, and honestly, that's saying something.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Judas said:
Transcendent One said:
It's just a simple truth. And you can't get mad at the truth. You know it.

Next :arrow:
"You can't get mad at the truth?" Wow. What a zinger.

:lol:

If I were you I'd stick to the safety of calling people names over the internet when they disagree with you, cause, that kind of sucked.

I disagree with you, asshole.

tilting_msh

Formerly Judas
Patron
Codex 2012
Monte Carlo said:
This guy Judas misses the point. This is a forum where Volourn is tolerated, for fucks sake. Everybody is free to disagree. I think that there must be some obscure internet version of a cargo cult, full of trolls who get pissy about places like this. Wakw up, sparky! If you want to go to anodyne, over-moderated, vanilla gaming forums full of Stepford Gamers then the Net is fucking full of them.

Judas, why not go to a forum that isn't stubbornly happy to be full of whinging grognards like this one? The Codex does exactly what it says on the tin. Join in the spirit of the place, rack your hunting rifle and open up some tinned rations or just go away. Sheesh.

Cheers
MC
*sigh*

Where did I say you couldn't disagree at the Codex? I only stated the FACT that often, if you dare disagree, the most common repsonse will be name-calling...as Transcendent One and xJEDx were kind enough to show.

Why is this place so uptight? Is what I said really that upsetting?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom