Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Massive Fallout: New Vegas Info Package

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Over at NMA they have a <a href="http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56336" target="_blank">video walkthrough</a> for the <em>Beyond the Beef</em> quest. Spoilers abound.<em></em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The Vault sports a <a href="http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Ausir/Fallout:_New_Vegas_official_forum_post_roundup" target="_blank"><em>New Vegas official forum post roundup</em></a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Melee or guns stealth?</strong><br />Either way, it's less useful because the targets tend to be unaware and not moving (or not moving fast), which makes them relatively easy to hit.<br />There's still a maximum VATS range, regardless of PER. And IMO, it's pretty boring to stroll through the game making silenced VATS head shots at guys at ranges that are far outside of (their) detection range.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The Bethblog <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2010/10/11/watch-clips-from-tonights-x-play-special/" target="_blank">provides footage</a> from the X-Play special report on Fallout: New Vegas, featuring Chris Avellone, Larry Liberty, Josh Sawyer and Joe Sanabria.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Gamespot wants you to <em>get caught up with some of the powerful new perks in Fallout: New Vegas i<a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/falloutnewvegas/news.html?sid=6281442&amp;mode=previews" target="_blank">n this special report.</a></em></p>
<blockquote>
<p>Fallout: New Vegas will be a new stand-alone game powered by the Fallout 3 engine and developed by California-based Obsidian Entertainment--a studio that's home to several of the developers of the original Fallout and Fallout 2. But New Vegas will, as the name suggests, take the adventure to Sin City, where the glitzy neon signs light up even the postapocalyptic wasteland. Along with the new story, new characters, and new quests, New Vegas will offer new perks--powerful attributes your character can pick and choose after gaining a few experience levels that improve your performance with the Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (VATS), grant you bonus action points (AP) in combat, and more. New Vegas will be released next week, but you can see the game's new perks, along with explanations from associate producer Tess Treadwell, lead producer Larry Liberty, and tech producer Jason Fader, right here.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And last but not least, Big Download <a href="http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/10/11/interview-we-get-more-info-from-obsidians-associate-producer-f/" target="_blank">interviewed</a> Obsidian's associate producer Tess Treadwell.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>How was the game's skills and character leveling systems changed compared to Fallout 3?</strong><br /><br />You'll still level up the same way, but we've balanced a lot of skills, and tried to make them all useful. One skill change some people have noticed is that we've rolled Small Guns and Big Guns into a single "Guns" skill. There's also a new "Survival" skill that affects how useful some items are, and allows you to craft items at campfires. You can also now use Magazines to give yourself a temporary skill boost, so if you fail a skill check somewhere, you won't necessarily have to wait until you've leveled repeatedly to take another crack at it.</p>
</blockquote>

flushfire

Augur
Heresiarch said:
old news. they did it so that new players never have to invest in big guns again and wait for past mid-game before seeing one. which is of course made worse by the fact that small guns are just as powerful.

that's the reasoning behind it anyway from what i remember. which doesn't make sense in vanilla FO3, in the past games it is true ('cept maybe tactics) but in FO3 small guns can only carry you so far.
You can also now use Magazines to give yourself a temporary skill boost, so if you fail a skill check somewhere, you won't necessarily have to wait until you've leveled repeatedly to take another crack at it.
And all this time I thought they wanted to move away from the jack-of-all-trades gameplay all bethesda games have. shit

Jezal_k23

From what I heard, they're not only temporary, but also rare.

Besides I don't expect the skill boost to be a huge one.

What they did was bring back strength requirements and put all the big guns into guns, energy weapons and explosives. Pretty sure you need 10 strength to handle a minigun properly. If you put your strength at 3 like you could in Fallout 3 you won't be a master of the big guns no matter the skill.

crazy_dave

Educated
Vaarna_Aarne said:
It's not like you couldn't be a jack-of-all-trades in Fallouts 1 and 2...

True...

For good or ill this is the only RPG this fall which I look forward to... All others look like utter shit, while this one seems less shitty... :smug:

rageaholic

Novice
I think rolling all gun related skills into one is completely logical. A minigun works on the same principles as a small handgun. As long as there is attribute requirements to use heavier weapon I'm fine with it.

There are a lot more :retarded: shit in New Vegas to get butthurt over.

crazy_dave

Educated
rageaholic said:
I think rolling all gun related skills into one is completely logical. A minigun works on the same principles as a small handgun. As long as there is attribute requirements to use heavier weapon I'm fine with it.

There are a lot more :retarded: shit in New Vegas to get butthurt over.

Yeah, most of the games, like fallout for example, are very realistic and logical.... :smug:

CrimHead

Scholar
A minigun works on the same principles as a small handgun

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

rageaholic

Novice
CrimHead said:
hilarious reaction image

A bullet is fed into a firing mechanism and exits through a barrel at tremendous speed. A minigun is just a big machine gun with several rotating barrels and a machine guns is just a big rifle that is fed with a belt rather than a magazine or clip. I don't know why I argue about this, minguns and the like are pretty retarded as a carried weapon.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Most fun I had was sneaking around sniping shit in FO3. Everything else sucked. Thanks to the developers for bringing back power armor amongst other things. Can't wait for some fun. Melee in a setting with guns :roll: If I want that I will play 40k. :smug:

DreadMessiah said:
Most fun I had was sneaking around sniping shit in FO3. Everything else sucked. Thanks to the developers for bringing back power armor amongst other things. Can't wait for some fun. Melee in a setting with guns :roll: If I want that I will play 40k. :smug:

Melee made sense in FO 1 and 2 though. Advanced guns were rare and combat usually occurred in close quarters (often because you pissed off the guy you were just talking to). The problem is that in FO3 you can pick up an assault rifle 10 mins after you leave the vault and the wasteland is teaming with raiders armed with heavy weaponry that you have trouble avoiding.

Any word on combining melee and unarmed? At least they need the buff from being able to be used more universally.

cogar48

Educated
They misspoke. Not all Big Guns became Guns. Some like the Gatling Laser became energy weapons, things like Missile Launchers became explosives, and pretty much anything that shoots bullets is in the guns skill. It's not that big of a deal, and it makes sense as Big Guns is a shitty skill anyway.

Drakron

Arcane
cogar48 said:
It makes sense as Big Guns is a shitty skill anyway.

Well we had worst skills, I think Big Guns was removed not because its a shitty skill but because the number of skills is engine locked and it was removed for the Survival skill to be in.

It might not make much sense but Big Guns existed because of weapons that had a hard time fitting with the rest, like the Flamer or Rocket Launcher that dont fall as either gun or energy.

Also the Rocket Launcher falls as much as a explosive as the Flamer falls as a Energy Weapon (I really dont see were else they are going to ditch the Flamer under), the Gatling Laser was originally (FO2) as a Energy Weapon and by going with the Fallout Wiki the Gauss Rifle is still (WRONGLY) as a Energy Weapon like in FO3 when it was originally as Small Arms (FO2).

Oh and we still dont have the Throwing skill, I would have ditched Explosives and brought that one back ... Survival was always a shitty skill we only did picked up because it affected Random Encounters, FO:NV is not going to make the skill any better ... in fact they WOULD have made it better if they put the old Traps skills under it instead of making then Explosives.

CrimHead

Scholar
rageaholic said:
CrimHead said:
hilarious reaction image

A bullet is fed into a firing mechanism and exits through a barrel at tremendous speed. A minigun is just a big machine gun with several rotating barrels and a machine guns is just a big rifle that is fed with a belt rather than a magazine or clip. I don't know why I argue about this, minguns and the like are pretty retarded as a carried weapon.

It's not about them technically working on the same principles, or the inner mechanisms being alike, faggot, but that it'd obviously take different skills to handle a handgun compared to a fucking portable vulcan cannon.

Drakron

Arcane
CrimHead said:
It's not about them technically working on the same principles, or the inner mechanisms being alike, faggot, but that it'd obviously take different skills to handle a handgun compared to a fucking portable vulcan cannon.

Oh?

And how about a full auto and semi? same skill as well?

We can bog down a system with half a billion skills so its realistic and being a complete annoyance to play and that is why things are keep at the general principle and with balance or things get messy.

A minigun operates on the same principles of any ballistic weapon and since everything ELSE was under Small Arms it really did not made much sense for it to be under Big Guns, unless you are going to argue handling a AK-47 is about the same that of a .44 Magnum.

I know some here would love to break the small arms skill into Pistols, Rifles and Shortguns (and even SMGs) but fact is the ONLY ballistic weapon that did not fallen into Small Arms was the Minigun.

rageaholic said:
CrimHead said:
hilarious reaction image

(/wankistry): I thought that a minigun was, technically, a 'small' machine-gun - a big automatic weapon, but a small machine-gun, wherein machine-guns are typically mounted weapons and a minigun is a machinegun that is light enough for a individual soldier to carry in the field (though from I gather it's just video-game bullshit - that's somehow become entrenched as 'fact' - that you'd shoot it while standing upright and holding the weight in your arms). Happy to be corrected by anyone here whose done military service - I'm actually kind of curious, if anyone knows for sure.

CrimHead

Scholar
Drakron said:
We can bog down a system with half a billion skills so its realistic and being a complete annoyance to play and that is why things are keep at the general principle and with balance or things get messy.

Only if you're a dumfuck consoletard who thinks choice is TEH HARD :shrugz:

Seriously though, go play Oblivion. It's a wacky alternate dimension where axes are blunt weapons and short knives are two handed swords. So convenient. Not realistic, but hey, who gives a fuck, right? It's JUST A GAME. In Oblivion character builds can be so general as to allow every character to specialize in everything. No need to play it twice! REVOLUTIONARY.

Also, keep in mind that we're talking about a 5 pound pistol as compared to a 500 pound weapon mounted on humvees and helicopters. You're telling me these should be conglomerated into the same skill? Get the fuck out of here, pleb.

And yes, there should be separate skills for handguns and rifles and machine guns and SMGs--just like you have separate skills for axes, blunt weapons, short blades,and long blades in D&D; this is supposed to be a fucking RPG-- abundance of skills and diversity of possible character builds is a good thing.

New Vegas sounds p. good so far, considering the state of gaming today, but this kind of shit is just making me skeptical.

Azrael the Cat said:
a minigun is a machinegun that is light enough for a individual soldier to carry in the field

:retarded:

rageaholic

Novice
Azrael the cat said:
(/wankistry): I thought that a minigun was, technically, a 'small' machine-gun - a big automatic weapon, but a small machine-gun, wherein machine-guns are typically mounted weapons and a minigun is a machinegun that is light enough for a individual soldier to carry in the field (though from I gather it's just video-game bullshit - that's somehow become entrenched as 'fact' - that you'd shoot it while standing upright and holding the weight in your arms). Happy to be corrected by anyone here whose done military service - I'm actually kind of curious, if anyone knows for sure.

It's video game (and hollywood) bullshit. A minigun is essentially a heavy machine gun with multiple rotating barrels and is designed to be a mounted weapon. You don't see people carrying around a .50 cal and it's the same with the minigun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom