Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avadon Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p><a href="http://www.insidemacgames.com/features/view.php?ID=553" target="_blank">Jeff Vogel talks to Inside Mac Games</a> about his Dragon Age rip-off <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/" target="_blank"><strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>FP: One of the more time-consuming tasks has always been starting your party from scratch each game. Do you think you'll eventually allow a party importation from a previous Avadon like the Mass Effect series does?</strong><br /><br />JV: The simple truth is that simultaneously balancing a game for a party that starts at level 1 and a party that starts at level 50 is incredibly difficult. RPGs work best when they are about people who start weak and develop or earn great strength. To let the party keep their mega-powerful characters from the previous game really defeats a lot of the appeal.<br /><br />Also, for what it's worth, Mass Effect 2 kept around individual decisions the party made, but your character had to go back to good old Level 1 and re-earn everything.<br /><br /><strong>FP: Will the enemies still be along the same lines as the previous games: tank, spawner, magician, and archer?<br /></strong><br />JV: One class is definitely a tank and one is definitely a caster, but the other two are a bit different. They don't fit into established archetypes as closely.<br /><br /><strong>FP: And last, but not least, what major changes are there between Avernum and Avadon on the combat side?<br /></strong><br />JV: Oh, it's very very different. It's a class-based system, where each class has its own suite of abilities. There is very little healing, and each ability can only be used every few turns, which means you have to use lots of different powers. Because of these changes, combat works very differently. I'm hoping for an experience with a lot of variety and "What power should I be using now?" tactical thought.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>He better take care that the combat feels visceral enough.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15892">RPGWatch</a></p>

Andhaira

Arcane
Sounds like he's ripping off D&D4e. Which can only be a good thing. :smug:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
AndhairaX said:
Sounds like he's ripping off D&D4e. Which can only be a good thing. :smug:
What?
andhaira.png

Oh, nevermind, little one.

Saxon1974

Prophet
"There will be very little healing"....

I like the sound of that. Modern games make healing far too easy, I cannot stand auto health regen.

Looking forward to what he does with this series.

zeitgeist

Magister
Jeffy V said:
The opinions of my fans has been nearly unanimous on this point. Spiderweb games have gotten too hard.
Interesting. Is there any reputable source that actually analyzes his target demographics? Has he ever published any statistics of that sort?

Saxon1974

Prophet

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Jeffy V said:
The opinions of my fans has been nearly unanimous on this point. Spiderweb games have gotten too hard.
It's not because your games hard. It's because you think what making monster with 65535 hits and immunity to all except one type of attack is fun. No, it is boring, fucking mmo addict. Return Exile combat, when we talk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom