Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Planescape: Torment Retrospective

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Black Isle Studios; Planescape: Torment

<p>What a lucky coincidence, Planescape: Torment is freshly available at <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment?as=1649904300" target="_blank">GoG</a> et voila - <a href="http://insert-disc.com/2010/09/28/why-you-should-buy-planescape-torment/" target="_blank">a retrospective</a> on MCA's one-hit masterpiece surfaces over at Insert Disc.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>A little more than ten years ago, a game you probably never heard of called <em>Planescape: Torment</em> came out for the PC. Overlooked by many, <em>Torment</em> is more of a cult classic than a runaway success. Maybe it had something to do with the boxart which features the protagonist&rsquo;s rather ugly face. Perhaps it was the game&rsquo;s very strange themes and odd way of approaching the Western RPG genre. Those who did play it, however, remember it to this day as one of the best RPGs not only of 1999, but of all time.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>What made <em>Torment</em> so memorable? At first, the gameplay does not seem very revolutionary. The game runs on a modified version of Bioware&rsquo;s Infinity Engine, a modified version that makes the interface more annoying for casting spells. The interesting part of the game is how it changes the way you approach everything. When rolling your character, rather than using wisdom, charisma, or intelligence as a dump stat; you want to max those as quickly as you can. Battle is nowhere near the focus of this game and there is only one mandatory boss battle. Talking your way out of fights is very common and a lot more fun.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Now everyone show off their PS:T knowledge, MCA might be reading this. I'll start: well, frankly I think Zerthimon was a true bro and didn't betray his people, if someone's to blame it's certainly Gith, that obnoxious bitch.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99916-planescape-torment-retrospective.html">GB</a></p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Phelot

Arcane
This game is no longer considered good due to Codex tidal fluctuations.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
waywardOne said:
anyone know if the IE mod tools (NI in particular) work with PS:T?
NI in particular does. No idea about any of the others, as that's the one I used with it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
phelot said:

The "trying too hard" new fags and all the wapanese who just came out of the closet are tearing this place asunder.

Quilty

Magister
In before a dude claiming PS:T was inspired by final fantasy.

don't do it man :x

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's not so bad. Maybe they can play it and 15% be amazed that they were missing so much and lost so much time playing dragon quest.

Only to find there is nothing else :smug:

Lyric Suite said:
phelot said:

The "trying too hard" new fags and all the wapanese who just came out of the closet are tearing this place asunder.

By 2012, the Codex Holy Trinity will be some random Atlus and Squeenix titles.

And you will be there, bawing, impotent. Dead, like wrpgs. You will ask for help, but DU will be riding the lulz wave of tears.

Zomg

Arbiter
The Black Cat JRPG rampage was divine punishment for "dungeon crawler" hackfags that derided the trinity (who now don't care about combat or puzzles or "gameplay", now it's just verisimilitude - and it was always about that, we swear!)

Repent!

Jive One

Educated
It's definitely a plus that these older titles are getting exposure through GOG, despite their availability in other outlets. If younger gamers have access to these and play through them, then their expectations may just increase to the point of having an impact on current publishers. One can hope anyway.

Planescape was great because of it's blending of RPG and adventure elements, but even more spectacular was the sheer effort that went into giving the player a unique and open-ended experience. Not to mention the character the game has, from the music to dialogue to the unique settings to the philosophy found in certain conversations.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
SCO said:
It's not so bad. Maybe they can play it and 15% be amazed that they were missing so much and lost so much time playing dragon quest.

Only to find there is nothing else :smug:

I don't think that anyone who buys it on GoG out of nowhere is ever going to make it out of the mortuary.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
What did you think about the game after all, Lavoisier? I remember you said you hated it at first, but started to like it when you tried it again?

poocolator said:
I loved the game but was very upset that I couldn't romance the Irish chick.

:x :M

Intentionally written that way. Avellone correctly surmised that in the shortened timespan of computer game storylines, full romances almost always seem forced to anyone who has actually been in a relationship. Instead, it's better to write them as 'what might have been', or 'if we'd all remained alive a little longer' stories ala PS:T and KoTOR2.

In any event, he completely went back on it prior to Alpha Protocol. It's the closest thing I've ever seen to a developer going 'fuck it, everyone else is doing it, and I can't actually think of a reason to justify it, but I can't be assed resisting the tide'.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Well you could initiate a romance with Annah, I distinctly remember some intimacy and classic female drama. It was just that you could not seal the deal, so to speak.

By the way:

Battle is nowhere near the focus of this game and there is only one mandatory boss battle.

This is slightly incorrect. The player has to fight Ravel, Trias and Ignus/Vhalior. Even though all battles are not necessarily to the death, they are still very much mandatory.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kalin said:
Well you could initiate a romance with Annah, I distinctly remember some intimacy and classic female drama. It was just that you could not seal the deal, so to speak.

By the way:

Battle is nowhere near the focus of this game and there is only one mandatory boss battle.

This is slightly incorrect. The player has to fight Ravel, Trias and Ignus/Vhalior. Even though all battles are not necessarily to the death, they are still very much mandatory.

I cracked up so hard when soul-TNO recruited Ignus, and he had that maniacal laugh. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

CraigCWB

Educated
Those who did play it, however, remember it to this day as one of the best RPGs not only of 1999, but of all time.

Well, that's certainly how I remember it. But I also remember that the second half of the game seemed rushed and sloppy, as if the devs just wanted people to finish as soon as possible. But that was pretty typical for Bioware and Black Isle back then. And it still is. BG2 is one of my all-time favorites and I still recall how disappointed I was after the Underdark (which FELT like the halfway point to me) when I realized there was nothing left but the final boss fight.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
CraigCWB said:
Those who did play it, however, remember it to this day as one of the best RPGs not only of 1999, but of all time.

Well, that's certainly how I remember it. But I also remember that the second half of the game seemed rushed and sloppy, as if the devs just wanted people to finish as soon as possible. But that was pretty typical for Bioware and Black Isle back then. And it still is. BG2 is one of my all-time favorites and I still recall how disappointed I was after the Underdark (which FELT like the halfway point to me) when I realized there was nothing left but the final boss fight.

Huh? If you are unhappy with the amount of content in Baldur's Gate 2, I have a hard time imagening which games can satisfy your lust for conent :)

CraigCWB

Educated
Grunker said:
Huh? If you are unhappy with the amount of content in Baldur's Gate 2, I have a hard time imagening which games can satisfy your lust for conent :)

It's not the "amount" of content. It's the way they front-loaded the game with all the fun stuff and made the second half (or what should have been the second half) into a mad scramble to the finale. They did that so much with so many titles that it's become something of an industry standard, in my opinion. I don't like to be pushed into the grand finale ready or not, particularly when it seems like it's going against the game flow.

That's one of the reasons I prefer the sandbox approach these days.

Quilty

Magister
CraigCWB said:
Grunker said:

It's not the "amount" of content. It's the way they front-loaded the game with all the fun stuff and made the second half (or what should have been the second half) into a mad scramble to the finale. They did that so much with so many titles that it's become something of an industry standard, in my opinion. I don't like to be pushed into the grand finale ready or not, particularly when it seems like it's going against the game flow.

That's one of the reasons I prefer the sandbox approach these days.

Yeah, I felt that way too. The beginning was really awesome, and everything after Underdark felt pretty empty. And the boss fight was hilariously easy compared to some of the harder encounters in the game. Hell, even some of those encounters that interrupted my party while sleeping in dungeons were harder. I guess the answer is to continue on to the expansion and consider that the actual second part of the game.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Seriously though, PS:T is alright (for one playthrough, back in 1999) but if PS:T is your favorite CRPG you probably don't like CRPGs much.

PS:T is some kind of weird hybrid of visual novels and RPGs.

Like if you combined 60% Utawarerumono and 40% Baldur's Gate, then added in some additional C&C you'd pretty much end up with a game that plays similar to PS:T. (But that game would have a horrible story, unlike PS:T)

PS:T was good because it was well written and set in an awesome licensed D&D setting, rather than a horrible land of anime furries, but

a) it's not particularly similar to traditional CRPGs in terms of gameplay

b) if this gameplay style had been widely mimicked, a lot of the games produced would have been horrifying.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Does gameplay matter in a game where combat can (and should) be mostly avoided? The real gameplay of the game is in the dialog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom