Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Jeff Vogel hates Ultima IV

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Jeff Vogel

<p>On his blog Jeff Vogel writes: <a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/09/ugly-truth-about-classic-games-they-are.html">The Ugly Truth About Classic Games. They Are Terrible</a>. Quoting for great justice:</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">But it isn't playable now. The controls make no sense. The dialogue is bland. All of the little UI tricks that make RPGs accessible (tooltips, in-game maps, pathfinding) were not yet invented. And, and this is really important, everything that Ultima IV introduced everyone has done far better. Ultima IV had an epic quest and morality woven into the game, which was amazing at the time. But everyone does those things way better now.</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">[...]</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">I like looking back to the past. Nostalgia. History. And there are some old designs that really should be modernized. (<a href="http://www.abandonia.com/games/807/Archon+-+The+Light+and+the+Dark.html">Archon</a>. <a href="http://www.worldofmule.net/tiki-index.php">M.U.L.E</a>.) But, hey, classic gaming back in the day? Pong? The Atari 2600? Man, I was there. It's better now. Wherez mah Halo?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Everyone does epic quests and morality better now. Like Fable, where you can fart on people's heads. They certainly didn't have that in Ultima. Jeff was <a href="http://www.brainygamer.com/the_brainy_gamer/2010/09/unplayable.html">inspired by this article</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks <strong>Jaesun</strong>!</p>

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wherez mah Halo?

Perfectly capturing the intellectual abilities of a Halo player in just three words. :salute:

Also, ZOMG, interfaces got more user-friendly, old games suck.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ultima IV had an epic quest and morality woven into the game, which was amazing at the time. But everyone does those things way better now.

Reading that from Jeff, I finally understood he has completely gone insane.

Elzair

Cipher
It is funny that Vogel just makes shitty knock-offs of Ultima games.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
SCO said:
:x

Geneforge 5 was not shitty

:x
Yes, late Geneforges and Avernums was not shitty, but I smell decline. Like almost undetectable scent of rotten flesh, like trace of shit on book's pages. It's here.

Jeff Vogel said:
I have this huge collection of old games, but I spend all my gaming time with my XBox 360 or PS3. (Or, on increasingly rare occasions, my Wii.)
I don't get this. He develops niche PC games, but only plays on consoles? He's like a vegetarian butcher.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Yet again Vogel shows his awesomeness. Just hear that nerdrage boiling all over Codexia.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
jeffface.jpg

"I'm angry about old games."

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Pointless article is pointless. Hating on old games is like shooting dead geese.

But he is wrong on one thing, at least. U4 had no "Big Foozle" to kill/dispatch/rape/overcome/persuade to suicide. I can't think of any other RPG that managed to not only live without that crutch, but become a legendary title as well. Unless the mighty Vogel did it himself in one of his Spiderweb games. Has he? Haven't played any of them myself.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
asper said:
Yet again Vogel shows his awesomeness. Just hear that nerdrage boiling all over Codexia.
Nah, we're used to his retarded blogging by now. Vogel's the perfect example of the guy whose actions speak louder than his words. Which is a good thing too, because the games he makes are so much better than the ones he likes that it's not even funny.

I do find it funny that, of all the things that you can criticize in U4, he HAD to say "new games do everything better" :retarded:

zeitgeist

Magister
Vogel said:
But it isn't playable now. The controls make no sense. The dialogue is bland. All of the little UI tricks that make RPGs accessible (tooltips, in-game maps, pathfinding) were not yet invented. And, and this is really important, everything that Ultima IV introduced everyone has done far better.
Sounds an awful lot like one of his works. Anyway, the entire article seems as if he's either deliberately poking fun at himself and especially his fanbase, or trying to get people to believe the "old games were so horrible, my games are much better, play them instead" concept.

Lightknight

Liturgist
zeitgeist said:
Vogel said:
But it isn't playable now. The controls make no sense. The dialogue is bland. All of the little UI tricks that make RPGs accessible (tooltips, in-game maps, pathfinding) were not yet invented. And, and this is really important, everything that Ultima IV introduced everyone has done far better.
Sounds an awful lot like one of his works.

Very true. Geneforge was one of the shittiest experiences i had, concerning the UI and controls. I could understand that for a first game, but for experienced developer...in 2000...its complete shit. Avernum 1 was miles ahead of Geneforge in usability. If in Ultima times it wasnt invented - whats his excuse for Geneforge ?

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I liked it when you had to create your own maps and take notes of what to do, because it forced me to think and as someone else said the other day, making my own maps, made me feel like I was exploring uncharted territory.

Some uncompromising Indie should start making RPGs like they did in the old days and tell the inevitable complainers that teh art, is more important than usability.

:smug:

The disconnect between the quality of what he makes and what he says and likes is just stunning. He's the flip side of Vault Dweller's coin -- one of them fervently and relentlessly defends older RPGs while slaving away at vaporware for years and the other spouts inane bullshit and trashes the genre while releasing fantastic games every year. A pitiable hobby, this.

(Obviously Vogel's model is preferable.)

proudft

Novice
Man, he doesn't like Joust either? Joust is still awesome, dammit. :cry:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom