Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Art of Decadence

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Age of Decadence; DoubleBear Productions

<p>Tired of dealing with loudmouths like VD and Annie, <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/99876-the-art-of-iron-tower-studios.html" target="_blank">GameBanshee turned the spotlight</a> to Iron Tower's Oscar Velzi for a rundown on the artistic side of <a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/" target="_blank"><strong>Age of Decadence</strong></a> and <a href="http://www.doublebearproductions.com/" target="_blank"><strong>Dead State</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>GB: You're also working on Dead State. Can you give us an idea of the core art direction concepts that you're working with for that title?<br /><br />Oscar: Sure. Unlike AoD, I&rsquo;ve been with with Dead State since the beginning. This gives me both freedom and a big responsibility. While I&rsquo;m still playing around with the art style a little, the goal is to give players a sense of familiarity with the environment, showing them everyday places in a new light. There would be areas that would be completely looted, in disarray, and others that will be just&hellip; empty of life, as if the humans just disappeared leaving their life behind. We want to tell little stories with the props and areas in the game, that will allow you to see what was happening there some time ago, or when the apocalypse hit. And as a counterweight, we have the shelter, which is an island of order in a sea of chaos. There things are quite different to the outside world. It&rsquo;s a place with life, a reminder of how things were before. That&rsquo;s what I&rsquo;m aiming to capture. I&rsquo;m still working on the actual art style for the game, but those are the goals I have.</blockquote>
<p><br />Note: I intended at this point to link to that ZRPG children's library screenshot with Pedobear hiding underneath one of the desks, but I failed to locate it. You'll just have to use your imagination.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Jesus Christ when is AoD being released? I respect VD and his team for what they are doing but God Damn.

Topher

Cipher
oldmanpaco said:
Jesus Christ when is AoD being released? I respect VD and his team for what they are doing but God Damn.

Was it ever decided if it's going to come in a boxed version... I can't stomach digital download stuff.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
zeitgeist said:
Is he the author of this masterpiece?

Damn, I wanted to post in before zeitgeist, but you didn't give me a chance. And no, I didn't do it.

Was it ever decided if it's going to come in a boxed version... I can't stomach digital download stuff.

Yep, in a box mailed to your home.

"Boxed version will include a full color, professionally produced box (as good or better than what you see in stores), full color glossy manual, full color glossy map. And the aforementioned CD case, of course."

Topher

Cipher
"Boxed version will include a full color, professionally produced box (as good or better than what you see in stores), full color glossy manual, full color glossy map. And the aforementioned CD case, of course."

No need for all that effort. I just wanted an actual disk. DRM free I assume?

*I should probably just read the FAQ.

ironyuri

Elhoim said:
zeitgeist said:
Is he the author of this masterpiece?

Damn, I wanted to post in before zeitgeist, but you didn't give me a chance. And no, I didn't do it.

Yep, in a box mailed to your home.

The Codex will find a way to pirate AoD and drive you out of business on a mass scale. rest assured.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Topher said:

No need for all that effort. I just wanted an actual disk. DRM free I assume?

*I should probably just read the FAQ.

Screw that I want all the goodies in the box, I miss when games did that!

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
The boxed version will include a glossy humongous poster with this concept art?

concept1n.jpg

If not, then I'm not buying it. That image is pretty much the reason I want Dead State.

Lomm Cuz

Novice
Something is missing in this interview... oh, yes some goddammed artwork.

Please, an image worths 1000 words.

Or isn't?
chris_avellone15.gif

zeitgeist

Magister
Elhoim said:
And no, I didn't do it.
As the "art director" of the game, what are your thoughts on that piece? I'd love to hear a brief analysis.

Also, was it chosen as the only piece of "concept art" to be released to the public because you felt that it best represented the mood/atmosphere of the game, because you wanted to show off the technical proficiency of the concept artist, because it was the best concept art piece you had at the time, or for some other reason? What happened to the author, is he still working as a concept artist for the game, or in some other capacity?

And finally, will we see any of your work? The interview seems heavy on the words and light on the art, to say the least.

denizsi

Arcane
It's shit, obviously.

When I first saw it, I thought it had to be a joke. I still want to believe it is.

Also I hear this "we want to tell little stories" stuff too often and most often it means flamboyant shit. Not calling shit on Oscar but just saying that they sure love to talk with what little they have to show being irrelevant or shit for the time being, essentially sounding like fan mod project #847. Hard to imagine someone unfamiliar with Mitsodas' background taking this game seriously.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Lomm Cuz said:
Something is missing in this interview... oh, yes some goddammed artwork.

Please, an image worths 1000 words.

There are some new images in the gallery, too bad they weren't placed in the middle of the interview.

art_of_ITS_05.jpg

art_of_ITS_04.jpg

art_of_ITS_06.jpg

art_of_ITS_01.jpg

artwork my ass, aod looks like shit

I'm truly sorry my work doesn't meet your high standards. :smug:

But yeah, all this "art this, art that" makes it sound a little pretentious, like if I was painting the Sistine Chapel. I make computer game graphics, and I'm pretty sure they get the job done for an indie CRPG, especially considering I did most of it just by myself.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'm looking forward to both games. I'm leaning more towards the Zombie one as it sounds intriguing. AoD has been talked about for much longer but I know almost nothing about it. I'll probably buy both, starting with Dead State.

I'm not going to judge on one piece of 'art'. It conveys the idea but I doubt it has anything to do with gameplay. I just want a fun game, they're getting more and more difficult to find these days and I'm quickly scratching at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to oldies that I missed.

To me it sounds good on paper so far and a lot of thought has gone into the design. Whether it works out as a fun and addictive game I don't know. But I'm willing to gamble my fifty bucks on it as opposed to getting ripped off by another Bioshock.

Dagon

Scholar
Elhoim said:

This game looks sweet!
Do you guys think about making the expansion to the game?
Or even a proper sequel?
It would be shame if the assets go to waste after AoD, especially for an indie dev.

denizsi

Arcane
art_of_ITS_01.jpg

I kind of like the older scene on the left better :shrug: It's talking to me late 80s/early 90s graphics and the only thing it's missing is parallel projection instead of perspective.

ironyuri

Naked Ninja said:
Yes, well, I don't suffer from nostalgia.

I'm with Naked Ninja, no grafix whoring but the rendering is leaps and bounds better on the right and it looks up to scratch with the likes of some of my old favourites.

Oscar's certainly done some very good work.

I might even pay my ISP fees so I can pirate this twice. :smug: (don't hold these actual beliefs zomg trollolol)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom