Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Oblivion - The Unoblivionated Version

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

<p>RPGWatcher "VoxClamant", who seems <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=48149" target="_blank">very fond</a> of the Elder Scrolls games, wasn't entirely happy with <em><strong>Oblivion, </strong></em>so he played it not quite as often as Morrowind (i.e. only 5 instead of 10 times). That's why he now raises a <em>fascinating</em> question - Could you get hours of RPG fun out of <em><strong><em>Oblivion</em></strong></em> <span style="text-decoration: underline;">without</span> ever doing a single guild quest or main line quest? Could you benefit from the <em>Oblivion</em> engine but try to get <em>Dragon Age</em> content?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=161&amp;ref=0&amp;id=17" target="_blank">Read what he found out</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Much to my surprise - and just scratching the surface with seven RPG/Quest mods selected out of literally hundreds - the answer is "yes".&nbsp;&nbsp; With just the mods I discuss below, I estimate you could easily get two or three times the hours out of <em>Oblivion</em> than by just playing the vanilla game.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p><strong>Vilja</strong><br /><br />It is easy to forget that the primary goal of an RPG is to draw you into the story so that you are invested in it - you feel a part of it.&nbsp; To an RPGer, your imagination to picture what is going on still is far more important than thumb-speed to whack baddies faster.&nbsp; If you look at those "best RPG lists" that show up so often, you might notice one common denominator for them.&nbsp; All the best ones involve the player, capture you, and make it easy to picture the environment or quest in a way that makes you a part of the story.<br /><br />A huge part of this potential "immersion" is the depth of the characters that are part of the story.&nbsp; Even years later there are NPCs that we remember - such as Kelghar, Vi Domina, Minsk, Viconia, Neeshka, and (perhaps, in time) Morrigan.&nbsp; Sadly, most others have faded away and are long forgotten.<br /><br />And in the hundreds of characters I have enjoyed over decades of RPGs, Vilja is the first and only character that somehow became "real" - a "person" you can picture that becomes an integral part of the story.&nbsp; I can think of no higher praise an RPGer can give a character mod than to say it became as real as a game environment can allow.&nbsp; And it is for that reason that the Vilja mod for Oblivion is the best character mod I have ever enjoyed.&nbsp; <br /><br />Technically, Vilja is "just" a companion.&nbsp; But that is sort of like saying a phoenix spouting fire and swooping down on a battlefield is "just" a bird.&nbsp; What separates Vilja from any other companion I have ever played - mod or part of an original RPG - is her fully-developed "personality."</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Mods can fix everything.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15813">RPGWatch</a></p>

Red Russian

Scholar
To an RPGer, your imagination to picture what is going on still is far more important than thumb-speed to whack baddies faster.

Sounds like rogue-likes to me :smug:

Multi-headed Cow

This article just blew my mind. It wouldn't even be bad if it was just "HEY I LOOKED AT SOME OBLIVION MODS HERE ARE SOME IMPRESSIONS BROS" but what the god damn shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
NPCs that we remember - such as Kelghar...Minsk,
Can't be that memorable if he can't even get their silly fantasy names right or bother to doublecheck. So unprofessional, that RPGWatch is a cesspool.

Silellak

Cipher
Data4 said:
So I got curious and was looking for YouTube vids that might show this Vilja mod in action. I found this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OqFsVp5beM

Umm... The hell? Part of me wants to call it awesome. The other part needs to give the first part a lobotomy.
Well, on one hand, it is massively :retarded:

On the other hand, it does look more fun to play than vanilla Oblivion...

It really is a shame so many people put so much work into modding such a sub-par game. The Vilja mod in particular sounds like a pretty impressive undertaking, but I'll never try it because I don't want to play through Oblivion again.

DraQ

Arcane
Unoblivionated oblivion would be if someone fucking scrapped almost all vanilla content, and modded in proper representation of Cyrodiill and IC, with proper questlines and stuff. The only thing holding it back would be shit mechanics, but mods like Deadly Reflex would alleviate that by at least making it fun.

racofer

Thread Incliner
I had a dream. A dream that brought me hope for the future.

On this dream, I had a minigun, unlimited ammo and an impenetrable armor. Then I killed everyone and it was chill.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Author of article said:
Hentai Mania

I need to admit my naiveté in that I had no idea what the term Hentai meant until I researched this mod. The research sent me to some sites I wish I had never discovered.

Link plox.

Archibald

Arcane
DraQ said:
Unoblivionated oblivion would be if someone fucking scrapped almost all vanilla content, and modded in proper representation of Cyrodiill and IC, with proper questlines and stuff. The only thing holding it back would be shit mechanics, but mods like Deadly Reflex would alleviate that by at least making it fun.

It`s kinda sad that there plenty of banal shit boring mods but nobody is really trying to do this.

DraQ

Arcane
Archibald said:
DraQ said:

It`s kinda sad that there plenty of banal shit boring mods but nobody is really trying to do this.
It's equally sad that about the half of the bunch of mods *chosen* and praised by the author of the article consisted of unrelated, anime or DnD crap not even pretending to integrate with the base gameworld.

tl;dr
RPGWatch has fallen, commence exterminatus.

KalosKagathos

Learned
If all that Vilja offered was the companion skills and the quest cited above, I would just call this a "good" character mod, but probably would have selected one of my old companion standbys like Clair or Raewyn. But it is "personality" that raises Vilja to the top. Vilja has nearly 3000 lines of original voice acting built into this character. Vilja chats with you as you adventure.

The voice acting is professional and consistent. For those of us who have conducted multiple-session voice recordings, you will recognize how difficult it is to have consistent intonation and timbre over even a couple days, let alone the weeks it would take to record 3000 lines of text. To put this into perspective, if single-spaced on a standard word processing page Vilja dialog would fill at least 60 pages of typing.
wtf+am+i+reading.png

denizsi

Arcane
So who's willing to bet that this Vilja is your typical teen drama wish-fulfillment with some tragedy and perhaps some forced EDGY!ness with some pop-philosophical masturbation only in greater "depth" (so you can penetrate her all the way)?

Also, Oblivion actually looks better with cell-shading. Who would've thought? Even made me think of Daggerfall there.

DraQ said:
mods like Deadly Reflex would alleviate that by at least making it fun.

I've recently seen another mode, Combat Moves, which completely revises combat with new rules and moves inspired by actual fencing. I was surprised how much stuff the author had pulled off with it. Gotta admire modders for that.

denizsi

Arcane
She does more than that. When you're naked, I mean.

"By the gods, why do you have to be so indecent? Not that your phallic endowment could be a source of disappointment and shame and in fact it looks even tempting, if I may say, but this is not the socially acceptable way to be between men and women! Now if you just covered yourself, perhaps we could talk more about this in future :giggles:"

I can imagine remarks like this actually being in the mod.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Cell-shading is the new bloom, how fitting for it to show up in Oblivion. Seriously, I don't really get what cell-shading is all about. It makes bad-looking games look better, but really good-looking games look a ton better than cell-shaded games. Cell-shading in both Borderlands and League of Legends for example, look like shit.

Ruprekt

Scholar
DraQ said:
It's equally sad that about the half of the bunch of mods *chosen* and praised by the author of the article consisted of unrelated, anime or DnD crap not even pretending to integrate with the base gameworld.

Seriously. There are, believe it or not, good rebalancing and mechanic-fixing mods, plus others that restore content or attempt to put back something of what bethesda eviscerated from TES.

Somehow none of these made it onto this list...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom