Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Firefight at TCancer

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
<strong>[ Review ]</strong>

Never one to back down from a challenge (as long as it involves sending other folks to their doom), our man Trash took to the field with Sean O'Connor's <a href="http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/ff.html" target="_blank"><strong>Firefight</strong></a>.<blockquote>It seems Sean O'Connor adheres to the school of "easy to pick up but hard to master" gamemakers. You'll pick up the basics of this game within minutes, especially if you ever played something like Close Combat before. Mastering this game is another matter entirely. Your little troops die quite easily under enemy fire and the AI seems quite adequate in defending and attacking the objectives given. This is one of the few games in which I've seen the AI consistently being able to mount an overwhelming assault on my positions.
</blockquote>
<a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=65">Read on for the full review...</a>
<br/><br/><strong>Read: </strong><a href="http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=65">Firefight at TCancer</a>

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Pretty decent game, definitely better than Close Combat in single player due to having a decent AI.
Still, it could use more criticism of stuff like generic weapons, terrain not affecting vehicle movement (which makes tanks too powerful), lack of vehicle damage, lack of infantry AT weapons beside rocket launchers and AT rifles, etc.
Generally, you can win a mission with a single tankette or half-track if the enemy doesn't have AT guns/rockets/rifles.

It's worth noting that the game is continuously improved since its release (12 years ago) and that it's pretty huge - maps are randomly generated, there are many nations and it covers the time period of 1937-1945.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Generic weapons? It has tons of WW2 hardware which granted is a generic but also very popular setting within the genre. Infantry get better weapons as the war progresses and also stuff like bazooka's and panzerfausts. Tanks are indeed powerfull but they're as good as blind without infantry to back them up. Vehicles either work, are supressed or are blown up. Like I said, it's very much a Close Combat Lite game which trades depth for accessibility and ease of play.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Trash said:
Generic weapons? It has tons of WW2 hardware which granted is a generic but also very popular setting within the genre.
Infantry weapons:
SMG
Rifle
Carbine
LMG

No semi-automatic/bolt rifles/assault rifles, automatic rifles/LMGs/GPMGs, etc.

Trash said:
Like I said, it's very much a Close Combat Lite game which trades depth for accessibility and ease of play.
More like a very much a Close Combat Lite game that trades depth for working AI and less problems with tank path-finding. It has nothing to do with accessibility (if anything, a wide variety of infantry weapons together with individual sounds and pictures was more attractive for new players) and everything to do with less work for developer/less problem-creating situations.
For example tank pathfinding in Close Combat is a nightmare. In Firefight there aren't such problems because the tank doesn't have to choose an optimal path through different terrains.

Yeesh said:
Is the game actually played in sub-VGA resolution, or are you just really chintzy with your screenshots? I mean screenshot. MOAR pictures! Bigger pictures!

But nice review.
It's played in window which can be resized, so you can play it in widescreen if you want.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom