Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Whether you're in the mood for yet another F:NV preview without any new info is irrelevant.</p>
<p><a href="http://xboxhome.co.uk/previews2563/Fallout-New-Vegas-Preview.html" target="_blank">Read here</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The combat system has been improved upon as well.&nbsp; Optional ammo types have been added to give another level of strategy.&nbsp; Additionally, melee weapons will include special maneuvers when attacking.&nbsp; Many of these special moves are only available with certain types of weapons and require you to have a certain skill level, thus adding more depth to the strategy portion of the game.<br /> <br /> Another improvement that the creators are proud to reveal is the modification system for weapons.&nbsp; In the last game you could make a few special weapons, but beyond that you needed a higher skill or simply maintain the weapon to make it work to its full potential.&nbsp; Now it sounds like there is now ways to make weapons better through technology.&nbsp; Given the setting this seems like a natural step that should have happened a long time ago.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99632-fallout-new-vegas-preview.html">GB</a></p>

Carceri

Arcane
melee weapons will include special maneuvers when attacking. Many of these special moves are only available with certain types of weapons and require you to have a certain skill level, thus adding more depth to the strategy portion of the game.

Ryu_Hadouken.gif

Topher

Cipher
Sounds like an improvement. As long as the world is fun to hike around in and most of the content isn't a total crock the game should be fun no matter how poor the base mechanics are and they can't possibly be worse then they were in Fallout 3.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now it sounds like there is now ways to make weapons better through technology.  Given the setting this seems like a natural step that should have happened a long time ago.

While you could not improve your weapons yourself, you could pay a certain ghoul to modify them with bigger mags, scopes etc in Fallout 2.

So this has been done long before Failout 3. :smug:

Malachi

Liturgist
Another improvement that the creators are proud to reveal is the modification system for weapons.  In the last game you could make a few special weapons, but beyond that you needed a higher skill or simply maintain the weapon to make it work to its full potential.  Now it sounds like there is now ways to make weapons better through technology.  Given the setting this seems like a natural step that should have happened a long time ago.

Reviewer missed the fact that a popular mod already did this for Fallout 3: Weapon Mod Kits.

Edit: I missed the tidbit that the reviewer is for an Xbox fanzine, so no wonder he did not know about the mod. That's what I love about consoles: they give you PC gaming experience, only 2-3 years afterward on inferior hardware.

zeitgeist

Magister
I wonder how many of the improvements in New Vegas are actually just tweaked Fallout 3 mods. So far I haven't really heard of a new feature that wasn't already available as a mod in some form at least (and in case of the "hardcore mode" in a vastly more complex form too).

StrangeCase

Educated
The companion wheel is utterly unconvincing. I have no idea why they keep hyping it when it's practically a guaranteed disappointment. Companions in FO3 were a terrible idea and should have been deemed unsalvageable and scrapped. Ordering their moronic AI around with a radial menu of all things is supposed to be exciting? Really?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
It's gon' be tactical bro

Fuck, Fallout 1 & 2 would be such better games if you had control over many characters in kombat. (and that power armor and critical hits didn't enable you to kill everything with ease)

Drakron

Arcane
zeitgeist said:
I wonder how many of the improvements in New Vegas are actually just tweaked Fallout 3 mods.

Ammo types is something that mods could not do, same with Damage Threshold that despite attempts nobody done it and traits were never done.

Item modifications are "easy" to a point, basically its swamping one item for another but it does require a lot of really basic work and there is were modders give up, spending hours of incredible boring work requires the type of dedication that comes with a paycheck.

StrangeCase said:
The companion wheel is utterly unconvincing. I have no idea why they keep hyping it when it's practically a guaranteed disappointment. Companions in FO3 were a terrible idea and should have been deemed unsalvageable and scrapped. Ordering their moronic AI around with a radial menu of all things is supposed to be exciting? Really?

Fallout always had companions and if the control of them sucked on Fallout 3 it was still better that doing it in Fallout 1 and 2, after all if you wanted to die in Fallout 1 you only need to give a Uzi to Ian.

soggie

Educated
JarlFrank said:
Now it sounds like there is now ways to make weapons better through technology.  Given the setting this seems like a natural step that should have happened a long time ago.

While you could not improve your weapons yourself, you could pay a certain ghoul to modify them with bigger mags, scopes etc in Fallout 2.

So this has been done long before Failout 3. :smug:

Fucking racist. Why is it that only ghouls can upgrade weapons? We should give molerats a chance to shine too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Clockwork Knight said:
StrangeCase said:
Ordering their moronic AI around with a radial menu of all things is supposed to be exciting? Really?

I guess, since now you can tell them to not act like morons?
Would they listen?

Cassidy

Arcane
Are there people naive or blind enough in their cult of Avellone worship to believe that Obsidian could improve the gameplay of Fallout 3?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Cassidy said:
Are there people naive or blind enough in their cult of Avellone worship to believe that Obsidian could improve the gameplay of Fallout 3?
It would be difficult to ooze it down even more.

Drakron

Arcane
Raghar said:
It would be difficult to ooze it down even more.

Well they could always make it "Oblivion with Guns" but when they (re-)adding a new skill, re-adding Damage Threshold, (re-)adding ammo subtypes ... Does it sound like they are "dumbing it"?

Sure they made the chem "Fixer" that temporary removed a addiction but Fallout 3 could permanently do so for free, skill magazines can also temporary raise a skill, if "magic clothing" from Fallout 3 remains that will be a issue.

Cassidy said:

As someone already said, most of these improvements already existed for FO3 as mods, including the companion wheel, more or less.

http://planetfallout.gamespy.com/mods/378/FO3-Phalanx

- - - There are powerful group-at-once combat commands that do not have a Fallout 2 equivalent, and exist because Fallout 3 has an FPS element that Fallout 2 does not have. Currently, those commands are:

- Retreat to my position!
- Fall back to my position!
- Push to my position!

Four special, strategic attack modes:

- Wait, then charge when I enter combat.
- Follow at a long distance, then charge when I enter combat.
- Hold position here, and shoot at any enemies you can see.
- Hide here, and try to stay out of the fight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom