Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News RobG on Fallout and Bethesda

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<b>RobG</b>, who I guess is a QA person and forum moderator on the <A href="http://www.callofcthulhu.com/forums/">Call of Cthulhu forum</a> replied in <A href="http://www.callofcthulhu.com/forums/index.php?s=767b37b17d311b46e7e8e4c3de43a251&showtopic=459&st=15">page 2</a> of <A href="http://www.callofcthulhu.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=459&st=0">this thread</a> about playing the original games, how he hopes they make a great game and other things. Here's the clippage:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There's a lot of excited people here when it comes to Fallout. We aren't a company where the employees only play fantasy RPG's since that's what we make. All of us have played Fallout 1 and 2. I myself was hooked on (edit - meant Fallout Tactics) for about 6 months...I really couldn't get enough of that game. The originals I still pop in from time to time and fool around with for a week or so.
<br>
<br>
At this stage, when this was only announced yesterday...comparing the Elder Scrolls with Fallout, which I can understand is going to be the perfectly logical response as we're now publishing it, is still like comparing apples and oranges. Take what you want out of Pete's interview, I thought it explained just enough to wet everyone's appetite.
<br>
<br>
Like I said, all of us are super excited about this. I've been reading a lot of stuff all over the internet about this press release and jesus...it's a rollercoaster of emotions. I, along with you guys, am praying that this game is great. I'm really, really hoping it is and knowing the people that I work with, as a fan I'm incredibly optimistic about it. </blockquote>
<br>
<br>
I just think it's a little odd that someone that does quality assurance thinks that <A href="http://www.interplay.com/falloutbos">Fallout Tactics</A> is the best one of the series.
<br>
<br>
But I totally agree with this guy on his prayer, I know I'd like it to be great. But there's more a little further down:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Oh and Fallout Tactics was my favorite out of the bunch. I know they don't directly tie in but <u>I loved Fallout 1 and 2 because of the story. I absolutely hated the combat because real-time was a little too frantic and turn-based was a little too slow.</u> Tactics took the worst part of Fallout (to me anyway) and turned it into a really great experience and a great game to play.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Wow, I must have missed <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout">Fallout</a> and <a href="http://www.interplay.com/fallout2">Fallout 2</a> having a frantic <i>real time</i> mode, or a <i>real time</i> mode <i>period</i>, but it's great they've played the games.
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Lasakon</b>!
<br>

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Come on Saint! They're real fans of Fallout!

:chuckles:

Lasakon

Liturgist
I'm probably wrong about him being in QA since I just made an assumption from this statement.

QUOTE (Ahnìon @ Jul 16 2004, 12:17 PM)
I never did trust QA, and that kind of repeated pause could kill a game if it got out of hand. wink.gif

I'm a little offended. Without QA you'd be spending more time on the phone with tech support than actually playing the game itself.

Jinxed

Liturgist
I hope he was talking about non combat stuff when adressing real time. Or maybe he got confused and talked about Arcanum. Who knows.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Lasakon said:
I'm probably wrong about him being in QA since I just made an assumption from this statement.

I never did trust QA, and that kind of repeated pause could kill a game if it got out of hand. wink.gif

I'm a little offended. Without QA you'd be spending more time on the phone with tech support than actually playing the game itself.

I can't find him at all on MobyGames, so.. I'll agree with your guess.

Jinxed said:
I hope he was talking about non combat stuff when adressing real time. Or maybe he got confused and talked about Arcanum. Who knows.

The Arcanum thing was the first thing I thought, because he's clearly discussing combat. "I hated the combat because".

DarkUnderlord said:
They're real fans of Fallout!

Another thing that's interesting is that he says everyone there has played Fallout and Fallout 2, yet the NERDRAGE developer said he was just now playing through Fallout 2 because he never got to it before.

Seth

Novice
All these guys from Bethesda who are making remarks like we loved fallout and then keep saying that the view was wrong, combat would be better in real time and SPECIAL is not necessary (ok so maybe I exaggerate a little), proves only the point that they have already idea what their Fallout will looks like, and from where I’m standing is nothing like it’s predecessors.

Sure I played FT in TB mode and actually I finished twice, but to name the best of series, come on. Next thing they will develop FOBoS with more RPG elements.

I asked once, I ask again (don’t remember if it was on this forums) why you Bethesda devs are so surprised with so much negative response from fans, when all the little info (*too early too tell* included) you provided is everything that Fallout universe opposes.

BTW there some great posts on Gone Gold forums related to the FO3.

About Arcanum – great story and character development, but yes combat sucked, ToEE the best combat ever for AD&D PC game, but story… well much to desire. If now they make Arcanum 2 with the Temple combat, this is going to be one hell of a game!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Well, actually, though that's what RobG wrote, this post is more in jest than anything else. It reminds me of the Pink Floyd song, Have a Cigar with the lines:

• The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think.. And by the way, which one's "Pink"?

It's one thing to say you're a huge fan of Fallout, which we've all heard before, but it's a riot when you follow it up with saying the real time combat was too frantic in Fallout. I actually had to read his post several times to make sure I was reading it correctly.

The really amazing thing to me is that there's two pages after his post, and no one noticed what he said.

plin

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Lasakon said:

I can't find him at all on MobyGames, so.. I'll agree with your guess.

Jinxed said:

The Arcanum thing was the first thing I thought, because he's clearly discussing combat. "I hated the combat because".

DarkUnderlord said:
They're real fans of Fallout!

Another thing that's interesting is that he says everyone there has played Fallout and Fallout 2, yet the NERDRAGE developer said he was just now playing through Fallout 2 because he never got to it before.

I thought he said everyone (or most people) has played fallout, but if anyone has not played #2, he was going to damn well make them. Or something along those lines.

And yeah, it sounds like he's talking about arcanum :shock:

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i love how a bit of verbal spewage from a dood who probably makes coffee and takes out the trash is now newsworthy.

Psilon

Erudite
Jesus, I'm gone for a week and all hell breaks loose. Still, at least we're out of the KOTOR-reviewed-by-preteens doldrums.

Rosh

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
<b>RobG</b>

Looks like Bethesda might have their own version of Danien. I find it funny that the newer small fries at Bethesda are getting their panties into a twist and try this level of clueless blundering about titles that have likely been released before they could mow enough lawns to afford a PSX.

My suggestion for some of the old salt at Bethesda:
Teach the little ones wisdom and how things work, please.

plin

Liturgist
Rosh said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
<b>RobG</b>

Teach the little ones wisdom and how things work, please.

hahahaha

Don't listen to a stupid asshole on the internet, please.

Rosh

Erudite
Funny, that implies they aren't talking to me already.

Nice try, attention whore, but you're as irrelevent as usual. :)

plin

Liturgist
Rosh said:
Funny, that implies they aren't talking to me already.

Nice try, attention whore, but you're as irrelevent as usual. :)

Nice try, asshole, but I don't need or want attention, but I do like calling you what you are.

You're as irrelevent as usual as well. :)

Avin

Liturgist
plin said:

you are on the internet.
you are suggesting.
you are talking to someone of the old salt at bethesda.

Araanor

Liturgist
Re: um

wintermane said:
Actauly fallout 2 and I think even fallout 1 had a real time mode and it was in fact rather frantic paced. Id have to install it again to refind out how to activeate it tho its been awhile.
Uh, no. Just no.

plin

Liturgist
Avin said:
plin said:

you are on the internet.
you are suggesting.
you are talking to someone of the old salt at bethesda.

cool

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite

wintermane said:
Actauly fallout 2 and I think even fallout 1 had a real time mode and it was in fact rather frantic paced. Id have to install it again to refind out how to activeate it tho its been awhile.

I hope it wasn't too troublesome to leave the Bethesda boards and come here for a while to troll.

plin

Liturgist

Role-Player said:
wintermane said:

I hope it wasn't too troublesome to leave the Bethesda boards and come here for a while to troll.

That's trolling?

plin

Liturgist
What is trolling anyways? I'm not too familiar with internet lingo. It's when people come to a forum and give shit to it's members right?

I guess I'd be one of em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom