Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Timelapse Vertigo - You can never have too many Sci-Fi RPGs

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

<p>In his latest <a href="http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=1086" target="_blank">indie RPG round-up</a>, Jay Barnson points out an isometric sci-fi RPG in the works that might actually be worth playing - <a href="http://www.timelapsevertigo.com/" target="_blank"><strong>Timelapse Vertigo</strong></a>. Watch the <a href="http://www.timelapsevertigo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66:alpha-2-video-is-out&catid=40:game-news&Itemid=58" target="_blank">Alpha 2 video</a> and then read up on the details:</p>
<blockquote>The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states that, it seems, are the last bastions of a fading race.<br /><br />The player takes control of one of the denizens of such a station-state whose life is about to become all that much more interesting and dangerous, as our protagonist is caught amidst the conflicting factions of the Underrail as they secretly but violently struggle for the Humanity’s last gem of hope.
<p> </p>
</blockquote>
<ul>
<li>Great character customization possibilities through stats, skills, feats, items and more that allows for many different play-styles</li>
<li>Challenging dynamic real time combat that utilizes weapons, energy shields, grenades, psi abilities and more</li>
<li>Vast underground world to explore: city states, abandoned building complexes, natural caverns, secret areas and more.</li>
<li>Elaborate item crafting system</li>
</ul>
<p>    <br />Shame about the real-time combat. And title.</p>
<p> </p>

Beelze

Novice
That looks okay. The story sounds like your run of the mill post apocalyptic setting, and games with a ton of secondary skills generally don't implement them all that well, but feats are always nice. The real time combat is definitely a killer in that environment and it looks like that blue freeze spell is going to be a necessity. The combat overall looks boring and the little speech boxes with Yes/No doesn't point to diplomacy being a big option.

It might be fun playing a crossbow wielding hacker who dumped all his points into willpow... I mean WILL. I hope they make crossbows one hit kill weapons because in a world filled with guns and advanced martial arts the man with the unwieldy heavy wooden shaft that requires lengthy reloading after every shot dies first. Why not knives? Hell, even bows would be a better choice. So weird.

Andhaira

Arcane
Nice find. Shame about the real time combat yes, but stll definately looks worth some playing.

Eschalon has really spoiled me with regards to graphics though, as I thought the graphics could be better. i mean, if we are going to spend the entire game looking at the same gloomy view, its going to get VERY annoying.

StrangeCase

Educated
Vast underground world to explore: city states, abandoned building complexes, natural caverns, secret areas and more.

I like the sound of this. I can't help it, post-apoc settings have always interested me. It needs good art direction and level design chops to really work, though.

Petrell

Educated
Looks interesting, definately worth to follow how the development progresses.

It's a shame that there are no party or turn based combat but I'm willing to overlook them if gameplay is otherwise good.

A user named cat

All the orange and black really looks ugly. Silly nitpick, but it'd be nice if they used different colors. Even black and green would suffice.

Mortmal

Arcane
I prefer a well done real time combat system, rather a poorly thought turn based one with no strategic options like in eschalon. In eschalon it was artificially slowing down what should have been real time.
Even if it wasnt turn based combat it diddnt prevent me to enjoy arcanum, the other aspects of the game made up for it.
Graphically its at geneforge level , most codexers will pretend to be waiting for it, but will never even look at it when its released.

Petrell

Educated
Mortmal said:
I prefer a well done real time combat system, rather a poorly thought turn based one with no strategic options like in eschalon. In eschalon it was artificially slowing down what should have been real time.

Real time (with pause) and Turn based can both work well if done right. Personally I prefer turn based almost every time major reason being that real time usually means you have to cut thru hordes cookie cutter enemies (only interrupted by few boss fights) to progress. In turn based rpg's there are usually (lot) fewer battles to deal with and tactics tend to play bigger role.

But then again I don't play cRPG's for combat, I play them for story, dialog, world interaction, enviroment (exploration) and choise & consequense. For most part combat in RPG's is just an obstacle for me to reach next part of storyline/quest/dialog or to reach new places to explore.

Mortmal said:
Even if it wasnt turn based combat it diddnt prevent me to enjoy arcanum, the other aspects of the game made up for it.

Well arcanum does have real time combat and because it was added on publishers insistence mid development and dev team wasn't given any additional time to work implementing it, the time spend on implementing RT combat and trying to balance it were taken away from working on TB combat and rest of the game.

quasimodo

Augur
The game looks pretty good. I would far rather have TB, but with a single character I can live with RTwP if the encounter design is done well.

obediah

Erudite
When this goes vaporware, will all you faggots come back here so I can watch you cry?

bhlaab

Erudite
Looks alright but I won't be heartbroken when it disappears

Vogel's games look like shit but this looks 'awesome'? And single-character RT is what KotC 'should have been'?

I will never understand you people.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You know if it was called Anal-prolapse Vertigo, this would turn into an instant codex classic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom