Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview The Witcher 2 Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>We didn't have enough Witcher 2 news as of late, so you probably want to watch the GamesCom TW2 trailer. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQAJNU9KPi8&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">Engage in epic battles!</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>This is not much for a proper Codex newspost, thus I'll include this <a href="http://www.pcgames.de/The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-PC-232263/News/The-Witcher-2-Gamescom-Vorschau-mit-Schleich-System-ueberzeugender-Qualitaet-und-neuen-Screenshots-768618/" target="_blank">GamesCom-based preview</a> by pcgames.de.</p>
<p>It's in german, but I'll point you to this <a href="http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&amp;prev=_t&amp;hl=de&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;layout=1&amp;eotf=1&amp;u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgames.de%2FThe-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-PC-232263%2FNews%2FThe-Witcher-2-Gamescom-Vorschau-mit-Schleich-System-ueberzeugender-Qualitaet-und-neuen-Screenshots-768618%2F&amp;sl=de&amp;tl=en&amp;act=url" target="_blank">google-translation</a>. Those translations are always nice to read, it's almost like playing The Witcher, in fact.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">CD project stresses that one will have at The Witcher 2 more freedom than in the previous - not only in dialogue, but also in the way of playing.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">Example: Geralt will now therefore escape from prison.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">He could easily tear through everything with his sword and run the risk that alarm goes off - which would mean even more enemies.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">Or he can sneak out and avoid combat.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">There is also the first time in The Witcher a real sneak system.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">Geralt can walk stooped to press her to remove walls and torches press of a button, in order to get dark.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">Unsuspecting guards, he turns quietly out in close combat.</span></p>
<p><span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">The Cat-Potion makes enemies through walls visible, like the detective mode in Batman: Arkham Asylum.</span><span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()"> The player even detects the internal organs in the guards.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">This not only looks good, it is of course very useful for stealth.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">Also important: Geralt's amulet - a wolf's head, his trademark - can use the player now active.</span><span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()"> It makes important details in the area more visible, in this case, puddles on the prison floor.</span> <span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()">Geralt should avoid if possible namely, to create any unnecessary noise when running.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p>A real sneaking system. And my cat potion detects your organs. Marvellous.</p>
<p><span onmouseover="_tipon(this)" onmouseout="_tipoff()"><br /></span></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99292-the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-gamescom-2010-trailer.html">GB</a></p>

relootz

Scholar
The game looks great but i don't like Geralts ponytail at all.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
relootz said:
The game looks great but i don't like Geralts ponytail at all.

Yeah, it's more 'realistic' but is pretty shitty. I wonder if now they are keeping it just to be dicks as everywhere on Polish forums they are whining about the same thing.

Rhalle

Magister
Notice how the sword has a sheath-- something they tried to do in the first game but didn't get bug-free, so they didn't include.

Means they're still trying.

Isn't "Kingslayer" a catchier title? was it already taken or something?

They spent all their cliche video game title points on "Rise of the White Wolf".

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
That sneak system sounds interesting, but...if they don't spend a lot of time on it it will be shit and feel tacked on.

Rhalle

Magister
I hope it's not a major portion of the game. Geralt really isn't a dude who sneaks around all the time.

Baron

Arcane
I bought the Enhanced Edition where they'd overhauled the English dialogue and I thought it was great, with several gem lines and much better overall than the bland cliche ridden dialogue of most western releases. With an aging engine they presented a simply beautiful and atmospheric world, filled with interesting politics, likeable NPCs, unusual boss monsters and a true neutral hero entirely dedicated to whoremongering.

Witcher 2 is a first day purchase for me, and I'm hoping they release a toolset, particularly since Dragon Age is scuttling the PC ship.

deuxhero

Arcane
Namco Bandai booth? Are they doing the publishing? Well they are a better choice than Ubisoft and its stupid DRM (and from the Namco games I've seen they know how to use professional VAs like Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman. I could really see Crispin Freeman doing Geralt in fact.).

:thumbsup:

root said:
also, props for google-translate becoming semi-coherent

Spanish to English is fairly good from what I've used it for (Read:articles mocking that channel in Argentina that was concerned about Monkey Island's grog recipe) with only errors like "grease of the axel" (Axel grease), but otherwise perfect grammar. The other languages suck though.

Gerrard

Arcane
deuxhero said:
Namco Bandai booth? Are they doing the publishing? Well they are a better choice than Ubisoft and its stupid DRM (and from the Namco games I've seen they know how to use professional VAs like Wendee Lee and Crispin Freeman. I could really see Crispin Freeman doing Geralt in fact.).

They are the "distributor for Europe".

I wouldn't be so quick to :thumbsup: them on the DRM thing though
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=248555

zeitgeist

Magister
Did they make any changes to the combat system? How did everyone like the click combat in Witcher anyway? I found it a bit annoying because it somehow seemed like a console action RPG system designed for the gamepad, translated into keyboard/mouse controls (which it obviously wasn't, so it felt extremely weird).

.Sigurd

Educated
zeitgeist said:
Did they make any changes to the combat system? How did everyone like the click combat in Witcher anyway? I found it a bit annoying because it somehow seemed like a console action RPG system designed for the gamepad, translated into keyboard/mouse controls (which it obviously wasn't, so it felt extremely weird).
The combat will be more like Prince of Persia (sands of time).

Rhalle

Magister
.Sigurd said:
zeitgeist said:

3 15 minute gameplay vids/developer demos.

http://www.gram.pl/news_8QjiGeu7_GC_201 ... am_pl.html

deuxhero

Arcane
Gerrard said:
deuxhero said:

Fuck.

.Sigurd

Educated
Rhalle said:
.Sigurd said:
zeitgeist said:

3 15 minute gameplay vids/developer demos.

http://www.gram.pl/news_8QjiGeu7_GC_201 ... am_pl.html
What!? I've been fooled!

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm going to assume number of openings is based on the use of an old save (1 opening for siding with the terrorist elfs, 1 for the Not-Catholic Church Order of the Silver Flame and 1 for neutral/no save)

Also, only 4 load screens? Woot!I do wonder how they define loading though (Is the game starting up in the first place considered one?).

Rhalle

Magister
That last vid has some impressive physics effects and visuals, I must say.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I kinda expect now, while under cat potion effect, that I'm able to stab vital enemy organs directly for massive damage. Don't let me down CDProjekt.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Yep, it looks good.

Still, I got one complain related to the dialog - showing one thing and then telling something else (like in Mass Effect 2).

Antihero

Liturgist
deuxhero said:
Gerrard said:
deuxhero said:

Fuck.
Old news but here's the other side: http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=29252.0

Still, who knows until something definite is announced.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom