Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mysteries of Westgate Retrospective

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2: Mysteries of Westgate; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Ossian Studio's Luke Scull a.k.a Alazander <a href="http://alazander.blogspot.com/2010/08/mysteries-of-westgate-retrospective.html" target="_blank">reflects on Mysteries of Westgate</a>, its development, the things they did wrong, the things they did right, the 20 month release date delay, the mixed review scores and more.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>There was a lot of intrigue and many layers to the story which were not satisfactorily introduced on a single playthrough. This added replay value, to be sure, but it's preferable to put the focus of additional playthroughs on discovering the consequences of different choices rather than comprehending the story. The problem stemmed from the fact that the initial story draft was not sufficiently deep and needed more of a rewrite than it received in the limited time frame we had. As it was, we stuck a lot of stuff in there at the end which somewhat unbalanced the flow of plot events,<br /> <br /> On the positive side, the story did reward multiple playthroughs. For a modern RPG it was also fairly reactive; rather than just funneling the player down the same path with different dialogue and motivations, there were significant sections of game that provided entirely different experiences. The game had two very distinct endings, for example, and you learned different things depending on which path you took. I suppose it's fair to say that the story in MoW rewarded those who invested more time in understanding it, but that doesn't excuse the odd pacing. In summary, the shaky execution of the story was the result of an decent but underdeveloped (in terms of character and emotional investment) initial draft hastily expanded without sufficient input from the writing team. The mask hook was also weak.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99160-neverwinter-nights-2-mysteries-of-westgate-retrospective.html">GB</a></p>

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'm going to do a retrospective on Fallout 3: New Vegas later.
Either that or a preview of Wasteland...

kanenas

Educated
BRO said:
You just know the same reviewers were handing out scores in the 80s for the next piece of 1-hour long shovelware DLC released by the "right" publishers and developers. C'est la vie.
:brofist:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah MoW was good. Nothing awe-inspiring but a lot of clever design and things that don't quite go in the direction you expect them to. Good set of NPCs. Evil path is also something to be seen.

Antihero

Liturgist
It's the word in the dictionary that comes before "transition".

Also, I didn't feel much motivation to do that evil-path spoilery thing near the end
Join the big bad and become an enthralled vampire to him. Up to that point I was already mowing down his forces and he attacked me anyway as soon as I said that I'll be nobody's slave - he could at least have tried to sell it to me as not being so bad. Later, I reloaded from there just to see what it'd be like.

Another thing I felt annoyed by was having to go back to the Bent Mermaid Inn between arena fights to go rest and regain my spells as a mage. Maybe I should have toughed it out, but why.

Kthan75

Liturgist
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's quite true that you miss out on quite a few story elements if you go the evil route.

It's best to play it twice, first good, then evil.

halasterbc

Novice
i can only think of how mow would be much better than motb if it had more investment

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom