Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IGN interview: FO3=MW with gunz

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<a href=http://pc.ign.com>IGN</a> has posted an <a href=http://pc.ign.com/articles/529/529773p1.html>interview</a> with <b>Pete Hines</b> from <a href=http://www.bethsoft.com>Bethesda</a> who pretty much confirmed what we've already told you would happen.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>IGNPC: Can we expect something similar to the work done on Morrowind, in terms of that style of game experience?
<br>
<br>
Pete Hines: Again, it's early to say, but it wouldn't be a leap of faith to say that we plan to use technologies in development otherwise. You could make some fairly safe leaps of faith that it would be similar in style. We're not going to go away from what it is that we do best. <b>We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well</b>.</blockquote>
<br>
Any questions?
<br>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. That would me crying over this if I were the crying type. i am not mocking you this time. :D

protobob

Liturgist
I predict riots in the streets. Whole cities engulfed in the flames of fallout fervor wronged, yet again. Or, maybe not. But I do have 'The Fear.'

MrBrown

Liturgist
IGNPC: Interplay is still working on the Fallout MMORPG it had announced. Does this mean Interplay still owns the Fallout intellectual property?

Pete Hines: Yes. We've licensed the rights to Fallout 3 as well as sequels -- Fallout 4, Fallout 5.

So it's just a license... Who's the publisher? What happens to the license when IP goes under?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
A different camera angle isn't my main concern. If enough thought is put into it, first-person can work, as well as third person, or an free floating camera model.

What i am worried is that they think that realtime, FPS action should go with the first person viewpoint.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Let's not delude ourselves here. Bethesda knows how to make FPS RT RPGs, they have the experience, the technology, etc. They even have the proven formula to make it a multi-platform game of the year. Unlike Iply (the FOBOS fiasco) they even have the fans who think it's awesome and want to play a sci-fi version of TES games.

So, now, is there any reason at all to think that they will do something new and risky instead of old and proven? Come on.

Bobbin

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
Let's not delude ourselves here. Bethesda knows how to make FPS RT RPGs, they have the experience, the technology, etc. They even have the proven formula to make it a multi-platform game of the year. Unlike Iply (the FOBOS fiasco) they even have the fans who think it's awesome and want to play a sci-fi version of TES games.

So, now, is there any reason at all to think that they will do something new and risky instead of old and proven? Come on.

I'd really like to bash you for that but I don't have the power to because - you are probably right :(

corvax

Augur
this is blown way out of proportion

i 've been visiting this site/forums for a while...surprisingly it is one of the few places that shares similar opinions (nwn sucked, bg way way way overrated etc.) however now i noticed a tendency to bitch about anything and everything

so what if bethesda does fallout their own way...that doesn't bother me at all...i know that the perfect scenario would be if troika did it unfortunately they are not...bethesda will still do a good job (no one makes games as immersive)..+ fallout in first person c'mon..i'm a big fan of fallout, it's the best rpg ever...and i would love to see it done in first person...as far as real time combat goes i have my reservations but they will not ruin the game for me...as long as there will be a good story and quest options like in the previous two games i'll be o.k. and i'm sure many others too...

i see too many purist attitudes here...i mean c'mon fallout 2 in terms of story & gameworld was already messed up (horrigan, enclave, new reno, 80's) the only pure fallout was the first one..

Vault Dweller

Developer
hussar said:
so what if bethesda does fallout their own way...that doesn't bother me at all...
Well, it won't be a Fallout game, for one. That brings a good point: why the fuck did Bethesda buy the FO license, if they are clearly not planning to do a Fallout game? I've been reading the Beth forums since the news came, and half of the MW fans didn't play Fallout, and the other half played but didn't like it. Needless to say that the hardcore FO fans aren't excited about Bethesda involvement. So, why make a Fallout game then?

as long as there will be a good story and quest options like in the previous two games i'll be o.k. and i'm sure many others too...
What makes you think and hope that the story and quests would be like in the prev two games? Didn't you people play DF and MW? Can't you make a logical conclusion?

i see too many purist attitudes here...i mean c'mon fallout 2 in terms of story & gameworld was already messed up (horrigan, enclave, new reno, 80's) the only pure fallout was the first one..
So? That's a reason to butcher the third one completely?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
hussar said:
bethesda will still do a good job

How can you be sure of this? How can anyone? While i'm not exactly in favor of being a naysayer before time, i'm also not in favor of being overly optimistic.

(no one makes games as immersive)

Opinions vary in this. Several people don't don't feel immersed in Morrowind, for instance.

fallout in first person c'mon..i'm a big fan of fallout, it's the best rpg ever...and i would love to see it done in first person

Care to explain why you want to see it done in first person? Care to mention some reasons as to why it should be done in first person?

as far as real time combat goes i have my reservations but they will not ruin the game for me

Real time combat may not ruin the game for you, but not only will it ruin the game for many members of its fanbase, it also risks ruining the concept of the game itself.

...as long as there will be a good story and quest options like in the previous two games i'll be o.k. and i'm sure many others too...

Strangely enough, i never thought Fallout's story was exactly good, or that it was the reason why people liked it. The setting itself had much more appeal to me. The story - roughly defined as a one large fetch quest hampered by someone with mad plans - wasn't that interesting most of the time.

What are you trying to say? That since some already screwed the game once, it's okay to do it again?

Jung

Liturgist
The seamy underbelly of your seamy underbelly
hussar said:
...bethesda will still do a good job (no one makes games as immersive)..

No. Bethesda makes the opposite of immersive and good. Poor animation and char models, click-swipe combat, zero AI from anything in the game, hyperlink database dialog, empty boring world, tedious quests, and a game that couldn't care less that you are the only PC the or that you've accomplished anything.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If Betsheda makes such immersive games why do i tend to quit them within a couple of hours. immersion usually means the player wants to continue playing it...

Flink

Liturgist
On a positive note, exploring the wasteland in a Morrowind fashion could be kind of interesting. (That is, if they manage to keep it accurate and free from Rad-Cliff Racers.)

corvax

Augur
Volourn said:
If Betsheda makes such immersive games why do i tend to quit them within a couple of hours. immersion usually means the player wants to continue playing it...

i'm sorry i forgot that you are the only customer in the whole gaming industry...if you did not get immersed then i guess no one else did...that's stupid

of course not everyone liked morrowind...but a lot of people did...a lot more than you 1

dipdipdip

Liturgist
If they insist upon a first person perspective, I pray that they at least make it turn-based a-la Wizardry 8 (free movment until hostiles show up). Would S.P.E.C.I.A.L. work under such conditions do you suppose? I would hate to see that and the targeting system thrown out because the devs seem to favor quick, shallow combat.

protobob

Liturgist
The problem with exploring the wasteland 'morrowind' style is it just won't be right. In fallout, settlements and points of interest are generally days apart. If you had to actually take every step from one point to another over empty wasteland, it would get boring quick. So Fallout has the overland map and the fast foward travel.

Morrowind on the other hand puts five minutes travel time between settlements. Unrealistic yes, but the running is bad enough as it is.

So yes it would be cool and immersive to be out in the middle of a huge FPS wasteland alone and days from any other people, but it would also be boring. If you do it Morrowind style and put the settlements five minutes apart it's no longer too boring, but it also kills the immersion of being out in the middle of nowhere.

So you'd have to do some kind of overland map. And then the various FPS areas would feel like KOTOR style Themeparks.

Unless you actually built the huge wasteland, and provided an overland map for swift travel. But that seems like a lot of work wasted.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Unless, they "evolve" the setting a little bit planting vaults everywhere (like MW's tombs) to maximize your exploration experience.

corvax

Augur
i don't feel like quoting all the other replys but i'm gonna try to respond to some of them

1. no we cannot be sure that bethesda will make a good fallout game but also NO WE CANNOT be sure that they will fuck it up despite what has been said...i realize that many here are "hardcore" (whatever that means) fallout fans and would like to see it developed by troika (i also would like to see it done by troika)...but all this beth. bashing doesn't make sense...combing the scope of their previous games with fallout's environment would be a good thing...it would not be completely morrowind with guns...i think that morrowind has a lot to offer and fallout too...in the best case combine both of them (immersiveness + fallout gameplay) and you have a great game...even if the degree of fallout gameplay will not be equivalent to the original fallout it still would not be a bad idea...

2. why i wanna see fallout in 1st person?...much more immersive than isometric...i do like isometric games but morrowind proved that 1st person rpgs can get the job done...on a side note in fallout 1 after the intro there's a first person view of the caves (outside vault 13)...this last for a couple of seconds but one of the things that came to my mind a while ago was...what if the whole game was like that...

3. do not assume that i think - because fallout 2 was butchered it's o.k to butcher the rest...i just think that people who take the purist attitude: "omg omg fallout developed by bethesda, omg omg, i will kill myself and the whole gaming industry, we're doomed, omg this is the saddest day of my pathetic life, omg" ...are in the wrong, no one can make such conclusions on rational basis...bethesda doing things differently does not equal butchering the game...no one knows anyting yet

Flink

Liturgist
The problem with exploring the wasteland 'morrowind' style is it just won't be right. In fallout, settlements and points of interest are generally days apart. If you had to actually take every step from one point to another over empty wasteland, it would get boring quick. So Fallout has the overland map and the fast foward travel.

Morrowind on the other hand puts five minutes travel time between settlements. Unrealistic yes, but the running is bad enough as it is.

So yes it would be cool and immersive to be out in the middle of a huge FPS wasteland alone and days from any other people, but it would also be boring. If you do it Morrowind style and put the settlements five minutes apart it's no longer too boring, but it also kills the immersion of being out in the middle of nowhere.

So you'd have to do some kind of overland map. And then the various FPS areas would feel like KOTOR style Themeparks.

Unless you actually built the huge wasteland, and provided an overland map for swift travel. But that seems like a lot of work wasted.

Very true. Unless some from of mass-transportation is invented to speed the voyage. (Brahmin carts, old rail-roads, maybe even a corvega/highwayman :p) But then again Morrowind had that as well with the weird strider things and boats and so on... It would probably, as you say, be cool for a while then get extremely boring... I guess I'm just grasping for staws here...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom