Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview And Today's Word of the Day is...Epic!

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Two previews of the epic and emotionally engaging sequel to BioWare's masterpiece Dragon Age, which was the best game BioWare ever made until Mass Effect 2 epically hit the shelves, surfaced and I'm here to bring you the epic word.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>NowGamer went <a href="http://ps3.nowgamer.com/previews/ps3/1196/dragon-age-ii" target="_blank">There and back again</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The deep tactical layer that stood behind everything in Origins remains however. Squads can still be given a series of predetermined spells and attacks to use, they can be given orders and they can even be sent to deal with things on their own. Sending party members off to fight solo battles has its risks and rewards and should they die then you&rsquo;ve lost them for good. That could be a problem if they are a class that you desperately need.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>If a partymember dies in combat you've lost them for good? Somehow I doubt that very much.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>CheatCodeCentral <a href="http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/dragonage2preview.html" target="_blank">are epically excited</a>:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The gameplay of Dragon Age 2 is also receiving a large makeover. Where Origins was designed for the PC and then converted to the console, DA 2 will be uniquely designed for each platform. This will make the game more reactive to commands, as well as give the action a more natural feel. There is also going to be a larger emphasis on the action and combat of the game.<a id="KonaLink1" class="kLink" style="text-decoration: underline ! important; position: static;" href="http://cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/dragonage2preview.html#" target="undefined"></a> The BioWare team wants you to &ldquo;think like a general and fight like a Spartan.&rdquo; Basically, this is saying that while you will be looking at the overall combat from a tactical perspective, you will also be right there in the thick of the fight. BioWare has always been known for their legendary storytelling in games, while the action is generally a little slower and more tactical. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see the results of this focus on making the combat as epic as the story that goes with it.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>BioWare wants you to &ldquo;think like a general and fight like a Spartan.&rdquo;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15485">RPGWatch</a></p>

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
If a partymember dies in combat you've lost them for good? Somehow I doubt that very much.

He means for the duration of the battle, silly. Next-gen RPG players naturally expect the next stage of streamlined evolution to let you resurrect party members to full HP if you reach them and perform a three-second animation, so he's letting us know that Bioware hasn't quite made that refining leap just yet.

Dyspaire

Cipher
"The deep tactical layer that stood behind everything in Origins remains however."

As far as DVD menus go, I guess it was more tactical than most.

bobisimo

Novice
VentilatorOfDoom said:
... they can even be sent to deal with things on their own. Sending party members off to fight solo battles has its risks and rewards and should they die then you’ve lost them for good.

I got the sense, just from reading this, that they're talking about something like ME2's end game. Send a character to crawl through the ducts and, if you didn't make the right decisions beforehand, you could lose him. :\

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There is also going to be a larger emphasis on the action and combat of the game.
Because 90% of the game being filler combat was somehow not enough. :M

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Their target audience dont care about things like combat or story, to them all that matters is how many romantic options will there be.

MetalCraze

Arcane
All of you can bitch about it now - but all of you perfectly know that this will be the "best RPG to come out in fucking years" and everyone who disagrees will have to shut up - before Mass Effect 3 will come out of course.

markec said:
Their target audience dont care about things like combat or story, to them all that matters is how many romantic options will there be.

Them? You mean the Codex? The Codex loved everything in DA before ME2 came out. Oh and there was a shitton of praise of how tactical and good the combat is in this place.

Drakron

Arcane
As I type this on my Epic keyboard my Epic cat is sleeping next to my chair.

At this point, as a adjective the word "epic" have no value.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
When I read this, radio just played music from Yasunori Mitsuda. I doubt DA2 would be as epic as Chrono cross.

chzr

Scholar
The gameplay of Dragon Age 2 is also receiving a large makeover. Where Origins was designed for the PC and then converted to the console, DA 2 will be uniquely designed for consoles and then converted to the PC. This will make the game more epic. There is also going to be a larger emphasis on the epic action and combat of the epic game.

epic fix

so now, when epic means nothing, what epic word will be next?

Topher

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Them? You mean the Codex? The Codex loved everything in DA before ME2 came out. Oh and there was a shitton of praise of how tactical and good the combat is in this place.

Not really.

ElectricOtter

chzr said:
The gameplay of Dragon Age 2 is also receiving a large makeover. Where Origins was designed for the PC and then converted to the console, DA 2 will be uniquely designed for consoles and then converted to the PC. This will make the game more epic. There is also going to be a larger emphasis on the epic action and combat of the epic game.

epic fix

so now, when epic means nothing, what epic word will be next?
Dragon Age Triple: Streamlined Streamlinification

kris

Arcane
markec said:

They do care about the story. I mean in how romantic it is.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
MetalCraze said:

I mean Bioware fans, when they announced DA2 the first topic was in line of "will there be romances", even now most popular topics are about companions.

Funniest part of their boards was butthurt when Bioware said there will be no romance in Awakening. If they made a DLC consisting only of romantic dialogs and cut-scenes and even if it lasted half of the Awakening gamplay it would probably greatly outsell it.

Vibalist

Arcane
Think like a general and fight like a spartan.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom